OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 12:41:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Australians  (Read 1518 times) Average Rating: 0
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« on: October 12, 2008, 07:03:38 AM »

I thought I might start a thread to discuss this new documentary series.
For the Aussies amongst us, and for those interested, a brilliant documentary series has started on SBS called "First Australians".  Ten years in the making, this long awaited series documents the history of the Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander nations and their encounter with European settlement and the undeclared war which has raged in our country for so long. Hopefully a big step towards Reconciliation, the series presents points of view from both sides of the conflict with excellently researched documents. If you missed the first episode tonight, the whole series will be available online at: http://www.sbs.com.au/firstaustralians/
Being myself descended from a people whose land was conquered and taken from them, the series presents the issues in a light in which I can appreciate what happened. As Orthodox Christians in Australia, this is an issue I think we need to address. How do we present the Orthodox Faith to a people who see us as conquerors?  I think the fact that we are ourselves a persecuted minority in many parts of the world even today is a place where we can find common ground with people of ATSI descent.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 09:03:53 AM »

George, I would love to watch this documentary, but when I try, I get an error message that says "Geoblocked: This video is not available in your region." So apparently only people in Australia are allowed to watch the video. Which is unfortunate because only people in Australia can get the SBS channel.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 10:20:59 AM »

I thought I might start a thread to discuss this new documentary series.
For the Aussies amongst us, and for those interested, a brilliant documentary series has started on SBS called "First Australians".  Ten years in the making, this long awaited series documents the history of the Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander nations and their encounter with European settlement and the undeclared war which has raged in our country for so long. Hopefully a big step towards Reconciliation, the series presents points of view from both sides of the conflict with excellently researched documents. If you missed the first episode tonight, the whole series will be available online at: http://www.sbs.com.au/firstaustralians/
Being myself descended from a people whose land was conquered and taken from them,

Correct me if I remember incorrectly, but wasn't your family from Egypt?

the series presents the issues in a light in which I can appreciate what happened. As Orthodox Christians in Australia, this is an issue I think we need to address. How do we present the Orthodox Faith to a people who see us as conquerors?  I think the fact that we are ourselves a persecuted minority in many parts of the world even today is a place where we can find common ground with people of ATSI descent.
Yes, in the states I would like to see more done for the Amerinindians in Alaska, who have held on to Orthodoxy and suffered for it.  I also like the likes of Quinault and other Amerinidians finding Orthodoxy here.

Are there many Orthodox Aboriginies?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 10:21:38 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 10:57:27 AM »

My Father was born in Alexandria, but they we Pontian refugees from The Smyrna Catastophe, as was my Mother who was born on Limnos.

No, very few. There is one Aboriginal Deacon in the GOA that I know of and one Monk on Mount Athos.

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 11:03:07 AM »

George, I would love to watch this documentary, but when I try, I get an error message that says "Geoblocked: This video is not available in your region." So apparently only people in Australia are allowed to watch the video. Which is unfortunate because only people in Australia can get the SBS channel.
I've had the same problem when trying to view some stuff on US & UK media sites. So much for freedom of information!
Someone on this forum told me a way to bypass this, but I can't find it at the moment.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 11:03:49 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 02:58:32 PM »

I've had the same problem when trying to view some stuff on US & UK media sites. So much for freedom of information!
Someone on this forum told me a way to bypass this, but I can't find it at the moment.

Ask GiC - he probably knows.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 03:26:59 PM »

Just use an Australian Proxy...problem is this will slow things down a bit. But there's a good chance that the website only runs the ip check at the beginning of the film, so once it starts you can turn off your proxy and the only lag you'll suffer is from sending the data across the pacific. As an alternative...I'm sure the video will be out on one of the bit torrent sites before too long, especially if it's as big of a thing as George says...maybe I'll take a look and see what I can find.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 04:44:25 PM »

My Father was born in Alexandria, but they we Pontian refugees from The Smyrna Catastophe, as was my Mother who was born on Limnos.
Nice to have you in our neck of the woods.  Just a shame it couldn't be under better circumstances.
I always found it interesting how well the Greeks in Greece got along with Arabs.

No, very few. There is one Aboriginal Deacon in the GOA that I know of and one Monk on Mount Athos.
One monk on Mt Athos?  That's a start, and a good one.

I love how you can get Arabic al-Jazirah in the US, but not the English version.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 04:46:09 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 08:15:12 PM »

Yeah. Roll Eyes

Just use an Australian Proxy...problem is this will slow things down a bit. But there's a good chance that the website only runs the ip check at the beginning of the film, so once it starts you can turn off your proxy and the only lag you'll suffer is from sending the data across the pacific. As an alternative...I'm sure the video will be out on one of the bit torrent sites before too long, especially if it's as big of a thing as George says...maybe I'll take a look and see what I can find.
That would work. I used to have a list of proxies from various countries, but it's been a few years since I've used one, so I only vaguely remember how to change the settings on my browser. How would I obtain one, and how would I use it?

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Tags: Australia 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: