OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 07:23:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Veneration of the Iconostasis  (Read 2564 times) Average Rating: 0
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« on: October 11, 2008, 03:38:09 AM »

Is it ever appropriate to approach the iconostasis upon entering a church and venerate any of the images written on it?  I never see anyone do this, but it is my understanding that most Orthodox feel free to move around the sanctuary and spend time in front of different icons to reflect and offer prayers.  So is this particular action in any way taboo?
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 03:59:19 AM »

Of course it is...unless maybe the service is going on and clergy are moving in and out (like during an entrance - wait until it is done).  It is appropriate to venerate any icon (well, maybe not those on the ceiling - a bit impractical) - the ones on the iconostasis just happen to be on a wall by the altar.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 04:33:34 AM »

In my parish there are some steps up to the doors. And no one but the clergy go anywhere near the doors.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 08:07:57 AM »

I don't see why one can't or shouldn't, as long as (a) you're not disrupting the service, and (b) you're not "grandstanding."

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 08:51:58 AM »

I once read in a Traditionalist publication that the icons on the Icon Screen are only to be venerated by the clergy.  My parish priest at the time, a respectable man of God, whom I'm sure the traditionalists would characterize as a modernist, told me they were for all the faithful to venerate.  I, therefore, am not sure what is proper practice.  However, I'll say it seems to me, many, in various parishes I've attended, do venerate the Icons on the Icon Screen.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 09:43:06 AM »

I agree with the other posters that the iconostasis may be venerated while no service is being served. It is common to see a rail level with the lower border of the icons on which is a small icon of the same saint or feast as the one on the iconostasis. It is a little easier, and more discreet, to venerate these icons, than the large ones on the iconostasis. Occasionally, such icons have a relic of the depicted saint incorporated in them, so all the more reason to venerate.

If one is to venerate the iconostasis, be careful not to stand on, or walk across, the ambon, as this area is for clergy only. It is best to step down from the solea, loop around the ambon, then go back up to the solea to venerate the icons on the other side.

As for only clergy being allowed to venerate the iconostasis: It is customary for any authorised layman (be he altarboy, church warden, etc) to kiss the icon on the deacon's door before opening it to enter the altar area. The only icons which are venerated only by clergy are the small ones of Christ and the Mother of God hung on either side of the Royal Doors, which are venerated at "O come let us worship and fall down before Christ" during the Liturgy. This stands to reason, as only clergy are permitted to stand in this area.

Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 09:46:33 AM »

In the Russian tradition, the icons of the Pantocrator and Theotokos on the iconostasis are called the bishop's icons and should be venerated by only him while the much smaller ones on the opening of the royal gates are for the priest and deacon to venerate.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 11:06:04 AM »

Replies #5 & 6,  I appreciate this information and I take them as clarifications of what I had recalled from prior readings.  As one of those "of the lower orders," an ecclesiarch, who enters the Sanctuary, I am one who kisses the Deacon's Doors, but didn't even think of stating that in my own Reply # 4.  I'm sure you're both right.

This discussion is a good example of the value of this forum.  On that note, this is the only media (at least which I check regularly) which communicated the Interfax report of the Assembly of the Heads of the Orthodox Churches which is occurring this weekend at The Phanar, though, yesterday, the GOAA website finally posted a reference to it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 11:09:28 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Robert W
Self-appointed forum herald
Elder

Jurisdiction: Finland

Love is no feeling

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 09:32:42 AM »

In the Russian tradition, the icons of the Pantocrator and Theotokos on the iconostasis are called the bishop's icons and should be venerated by only him while the much smaller ones on the opening of the royal gates are for the priest and deacon to venerate.

huh? Almost all churches in Finland (built by Russians of old) have places for candles in front of the Pantocrator and the Theotokos icons. I'm quite sure that the intention is that anyone can venerate these icons and light candles in front of them.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 09:33:09 AM by Robert W » Logged
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 09:43:12 AM »

huh? Almost all churches in Finland (built by Russians of old) have places for candles in front of the Pantocrator and the Theotokos icons. I'm quite sure that the intention is that anyone can venerate these icons and light candles in front of them.
Absolutely. This is, and has been the practice in my parish.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 03:06:10 PM »

I've heard both arguments, i.e. that the icons on the iconostasis are for the clergy only vs. clergy and the people.  Again, I think it is best to follow the advice that most have given here that if you do wish to venerate the icons that you should do so BEFORE any service, whether Vespers, Orthros, Liturgy, etc. begins.  As a chanter, it is annoying and distracting when the faithful come to the service 15-20 minutes late, light the candles and venerate the icons.  Of course, you don't want to tell people that they CAN'T venerate icons, but you would hope that they have some respect for order.

Personally, I am responsible for setting up the oil lamps in front of the icons.  I use this time as a moment of prayer in front of all the icons, asking for intercession, forgiveness, etc.  I set up the lamp and venerate each one but do it 20 minutes prior to services beginning.

Another thing that gets me is how many people "incorrectly" venerate the icons, by kissing the faces of those depicted.  This is probably a topic for  another thread, but I was instructed that the faithful should only kiss the hands or the hair (like on the Holy Napkin or John the Baptist's Head), never the face.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »

but I was instructed that the faithful should only kiss the hands or the hair (like on the Holy Napkin or John the Baptist's Head), never the face.

I was instructed that chin not hair.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 04:37:03 PM »

I've heard both arguments, i.e. that the icons on the iconostasis are for the clergy only vs. clergy and the people.  Again, I think it is best to follow the advice that most have given here that if you do wish to venerate the icons that you should do so BEFORE any service, whether Vespers, Orthros, Liturgy, etc. begins.  As a chanter, it is annoying and distracting when the faithful come to the service 15-20 minutes late, light the candles and venerate the icons.  Of course, you don't want to tell people that they CAN'T venerate icons, but you would hope that they have some respect for order.
A good thwack in the back of the head with the censer should fix this problem.  Of course, the deacon needs to make sure it's merely an "unfortunate accident". Tongue
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 05:02:32 PM »

A good thwack in the back of the head with the censer should fix this problem.  Of course, the deacon needs to make sure it's merely an "unfortunate accident". Tongue

If our deacon got there on time, maybe it would work!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
observer
High Elder

Vivre die Raznitsa!

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 02:09:33 PM »

Laity do not go onto the amvon - Traditional practice.  But nowadays everything goes if I Want to... Undecided

Thou shalt not prefer one thing to another (Law of Liberalism)
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 10:43:17 PM »

Laity do not go onto the amvon - Traditional practice.  But nowadays everything goes if I Want to... Undecided

Exactly!

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2010, 10:52:01 PM »

In my parish there are some steps up to the doors. And no one but the clergy go anywhere near the doors.

ditto.
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2010, 11:17:17 PM »

At my parish I've never seen anyone but clergy venerate the iconostasis: the deacon during his vesting prayers and the priest during the secret prayers in matins. (Also people using the deacons' doors often kiss the Archangels, but not always.)

Correction, once a very pious Ethiopian Orthodox woman, who visited often until they built their own parish, venerated the Theotokos in the middle of a service. Otherwise it doesn't happen.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 01:34:15 AM »

Does amvon here refer only to the steps in front of the royal doors, or to the raised platform all the way across the iconostasis? One of my tasks in my parish is now to light the vigil lamps/candles before services on Saturday night... but then I'm part of those innovative Antiochians, after all  Wink
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2010, 11:45:01 AM »

yes.  I've seen this particularily in Romanian Churches.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 02:49:53 AM »

One of my tasks in my parish is now to light the vigil lamps/candles before services on Saturday night... but then I'm part of those innovative Antiochians, after all  Wink

Nothing at all wrong with a layman lighting the lamps before the start of a service and blowing them out at the end - including the one which hangs over the Royal Doors. Guess what, you have to stand on the ambon for that!  laugh

There's a difference between standing on the raised section (ambon, solea) during a service, and being there before or afterwards for the purpose of attending to the lamps, placing vases of flowers in front of the iconostasis, cleaning the floor/carpet, and other acceptable reasons.
samkim
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2010, 03:00:49 AM »

I once had to stand on the Ambon and touch the main icon of Christ after the Deacon asked me to catch a lizard that had taken refuge under the icons in the iconostasis. LOL we decided to let it stay.

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2010, 06:52:59 AM »

I once had to stand on the Ambon and touch the main icon of Christ after the Deacon asked me to catch a lizard that had taken refuge under the icons in the iconostasis.

You were, of course, first tonsured to the ancient and venerable ecclesiastical office of σαύρα συλλέκτης - at least one would hope so : D

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2010, 07:24:16 AM »

Is it ever appropriate to approach the iconostasis upon entering a church and venerate any of the images written on it?

I am able to speak out of my Serbian knowledge.

1.   Do not go up on the amvon (the area immediately in front of the iconostas) when any service is taking place.

2.  You may go up and venerate the icons on the iconostasis with a kiss when no service is taking place (if you wish.)  Be ultra respectful and modest in your movements.

3.   If you are going to communion (and at the time when the doors and curtain are closed for the time of the priest's communion) you may go and kiss the holy icons on the iconostasis, asking forgiveness of Christ, His holy Mother and the local Saints.  Having done that you can approach people in the church from whom you have a particular reason to ask forgiveness and make an earth bow in front of them  (a waist bow for those of us who are too physically creaky to reach the ground!)

You don't see this last practice very much in the Diaspora (more's the pity); people are too self-conscious to do it.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2010, 11:00:11 AM »

In my parish, people go to the iconostasis to venerate icons and place candles before the service, and during the early part of Orthros. Later in the service, this tends to finish up.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tags: veneration iconostasis icons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: