OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 05:09:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting To Know The Saints  (Read 1800 times) Average Rating: 0
cherokeerose

« on: October 10, 2008, 11:03:25 PM »

Kind of a silly way to introduce a topic, but I thought it was appropriate for me.

Because the protestant churches I attended, never emphasized saints (even though they might have the St. Paul as part of the name of the church) and to my recollection never gave any church teaching on the saints as individuals. 

Clearly the saints are a very important part of the Orthodox Church, and it's important to me to learn more.

Years ago a friend gave me a copy of St. Patrick's prayer (is he a Catholic saint only?) and it was great comfort to me.  I have a laminated card with his picture and the prayer on back that I keep in my wallet, but I'm not sure what it means, if anything, for me to carry this ... I know it is comforting.

Any thoughts or direction to a specific thread on the board would be welcomed.

ddc
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 11:30:14 PM »

Years ago a friend gave me a copy of St. Patrick's prayer (is he a Catholic saint only?) and it was great comfort to me.  I have a laminated card with his picture and the prayer on back that I keep in my wallet, but I'm not sure what it means, if anything, for me to carry this ... I know it is comforting.

St. Patrick is an Orthodox Saint with the same Feast Day on March 17.  Clicking on the link will take you to a site with readings and appropriate dismissal hymns.  I'm still not clear about specific prayers mentioned in the original post....

cherokeerose

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 12:03:04 AM »

St. Patrick is an Orthodox Saint with the same Feast Day on March 17.  Clicking on the link will take you to a site with readings and appropriate dismissal hymns.  I'm still not clear about specific prayers mentioned in the original post....

Thanks so much for the link to St. Patrick.  I'm glad to know he is an Orthodox saint.  I went to Ireland 2 years ago, and went to Croagh Patrick.  I was only able to walk up a very short distance as it's very rocky and high (many people actually walk up the mountain in their bare feet). 

The prayer I mentioned is often called St. Patrick's Breastplate (it's long, sorry). There are longer, more detailed versions of the prayer that invoke the Trinity, but this is what's on the back of the card I carry.

"I arise today through God's strength to pilot me.
God's might to uphold me, God's wisdom to guide me."
God's eye to see before me.  God's ear to hear me.
God's word to speak for me.  God's hand to guard me.
God's way to lie before me.  God's shield to protect me.
God's host to secure me - against snares of devils,
against temptations and vices, against inclinations of nature,
against everyone who shall wish me ill, afar and anear, alone and in a crowd...
Christ be with me.  Christ before me.  Christ behind me.  Christ in me.
Christ beneath me.  Christ above me.  Christ on my right.
Christ on my left.  Christ where I lie, Christ where I sit,
Christ where I arise.  Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me.
Christ in the mouth of every man who speaks of me.
Christ in every eye that sees me.  Christ in every ear that hears me.
Salvation is of the Lord.  Salvation is of the Lord.  Salvation is of the Christ.
May Your salvation, O Lord, be ever with us."   

ddc
Rowan
Lurker, Writer, Science-lover, yada yada yada...

Faith: Episcopalian

-- Defying Gravity --

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 02:35:15 AM »

Well, maybe you've found the saint you should get to know. Spiritual reading is encouraged in Orthodoxy, and that includes reading the writings and lives of saints to learn how to live the Christian life.

I think I have the longer prayer saved...somewhere on this computer thing. It is very beautiful.

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. ~Philippians 4:8; St Paul
NorthernPines
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 11:37:56 AM »

The prayer I mentioned is often called St. Patrick's Breastplate (it's long, sorry).

I'm half Irish and recently have been researching that part of my lineage. St. Patrick is a great saint of the Church, and is definitely someone you should get to know. Perhaps he is calling to you via the prayer, I don't know. If you're asking if it's ok to use that prayer as an Orthodox Christian, I'd say yes since he wrote it. Smiley I'm half Irish and my middle name is Patrick after him, so I have a special connection to St. Patrick the Enlightener of Ireland.

Have you read his confession?

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/patrick/confession.toc.html

Check it out when you get a chance. You'll learn a lot about who he was from reading his own words.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 11:40:10 AM by NorthernPines » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 08:50:57 PM »

These threads with quotes from various saints might be of interest to you:

Early Church Fathers
Wisdom of the Oriental Orthodox Fathers

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
cherokeerose

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 02:59:07 PM »

Well, maybe you've found the saint you should get to know. Spiritual reading is encouraged in Orthodoxy, and that includes reading the writings and lives of saints to learn how to live the Christian life.

I think I have the longer prayer saved...somewhere on this computer thing. It is very beautiful.

Maybe I have  Smiley 
cherokeerose

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 03:14:27 PM »

The prayer I mentioned is often called St. Patrick's Breastplate (it's long, sorry).

I'm half Irish and recently have been researching that part of my lineage. St. Patrick is a great saint of the Church, and is definitely someone you should get to know. Perhaps he is calling to you via the prayer, I don't know. If you're asking if it's ok to use that prayer as an Orthodox Christian, I'd say yes since he wrote it. Smiley I'm half Irish and my middle name is Patrick after him, so I have a special connection to St. Patrick the Enlightener of Ireland.

Have you read his confession?

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/patrick/confession.toc.html

Check it out when you get a chance. You'll learn a lot about who he was from reading his own words.

I haven't read his confession, and I appreciate the link.

I also appreciate your comments on his prayer(s) being Orthodox.  I was given a copy of the prayer many years ago when I had a strong need for protection.  I've carried it around with me on a scrap of paper or now the prayer card ever sense.  Now I'm thinking that there was a reason I never let go of the prayer.

I never asked for intercessory prayer from St. Patrick because I didn't even understand what it meant to do that at the time.  As I've learned more about Orthodoxy, I know what praying to the saints means, but I've not done it yet ...

I look forward to reading his own words.

Thanks!
cherokeerose

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 03:17:07 PM »

These threads with quotes from various saints might be of interest to you:

Early Church Fathers
Wisdom of the Oriental Orthodox Fathers

Thank you for the links.   They look very interesting.
cherokeerose

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 03:25:05 PM »

I realized the intent of my original question was not just to learn more about the saints.  I feel like I need to "know" at least some of the saints before I can consider intercessory prayer.  It's had to know what to ask sometimes, but I feel like I've received some good answers in spite of my wording  Smiley

Tags: saints 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: