Author Topic: status quo?  (Read 1292 times)

Offline Myrrh23

• OC.net guru
status quo?
« on: October 10, 2008, 12:42:36 AM »
From the outside looking in, what is this "status quo" elephant that seems to stomp between the different churches of the Orthodox faith, between the Greeks and the OCA and Russians and whatnot? Is it just in peoples' heads?
*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
Re: status quo?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 02:43:46 AM »
In summary, the granting of autocephaly (e.g. self-rule) by the Moscow Patriarchate in 1970 to the Metropolia in America is not recognized by the Ecumenical Patriarchate.  The Ecumenical Patriarchate recognizes today's Orthodox Church in America as a successor to the Metropolia and not as an autocephalous Orthodox Jurisdiction although the OCA's sacraments and clergy are recognized as valid.

The Moscow Patriarchate and Ecumenical Patriarchate have had issues over Ukraine, Catholic relations, Estonia and many more as evident by the threads on this board addressing these topics.   :)

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 07:32:07 AM »
I'll just add that the EP's claim to America (and China, Japan, etc.) are not generally recognized either.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline ozgeorge

• I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
  • Hoplitarches
  • My plans for retirement.
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 08:11:11 AM »
Sorry I don't understand the question Myrrh. What are you referring to?
If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 08:39:26 AM »
In summary, the granting of autocephaly (e.g. self-rule) by the Moscow Patriarchate in 1970 to the Metropolia in America is not recognized by the Ecumenical Patriarchate.  The Ecumenical Patriarchate recognizes today's Orthodox Church in America as a successor to the Metropolia and not as an autocephalous Orthodox Jurisdiction although the OCA's sacraments and clergy are recognized as valid.

The Moscow Patriarchate and Ecumenical Patriarchate have had issues over Ukraine, Catholic relations, Estonia and many more as evident by the threads on this board addressing these topics.   :)

To be fair, most of the Autocephalous churches do not recognize the autocephaly of the OCA, but there are some who do, besides Moscow.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 12:33:02 PM »
To be fair, most of the Autocephalous churches do not recognize the autocephaly of the OCA, but there are some who do, besides Moscow.

True, I was sticking only to the Jurisdictions mentioned by the OP.   :)

Offline tuesdayschild

• High Elder
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 12:47:09 PM »

I was under the impression that only Moscow recognized the OCA's autocephaly.  Which others do?

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Shevchenko - extraordinary poet and top footballer
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 04:18:01 PM »
I'm sure Polish because OCA's primate is named during the services with our Metropolite. On orthodoxwiki there's written that OCA is also recognised by Moscow, Bulgaria, Georgia, and the Czech Lands and Slovakia Churches.

Christianity in the USA seems "messy" for a foreigner. More or less 15 canonical jurisdictions, one of them is not recognized by some other Churches, but clergy pray together and there's intercommunion. There SCOBA, which gathers about half of the canonical jurisdictions, but there are some out of it. How can You  stand this?
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject

Offline tuesdayschild

• High Elder
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 04:43:23 PM »
I'm sure Polish because OCA's primate is named during the services with our Metropolite. On orthodoxwiki there's written that OCA is also recognised by Moscow, Bulgaria, Georgia, and the Czech Lands and Slovakia Churches.

Christianity in the USA seems "messy" for a foreigner. More or less 15 canonical jurisdictions, one of them is not recognized by some other Churches, but clergy pray together and there's intercommunion. There SCOBA, which gathers about half of the canonical jurisdictions, but there are some out of it. How can You  stand this?

Seems messy to me, too.  I stand it because I have no other choice.  :(

Offline Myrrh23

• OC.net guru
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 06:09:35 PM »
Sorry I don't understand the question Myrrh. What are you referring to?

I was asking what Paisius meant when he said "Isn't that the status quo" or something like that in the thread Alexy II to visit Istanbul.
*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 07:26:55 PM »
How can You  stand this?

While it's a mess, I don't really experience negative consequences from it in my day to day life.