OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 01:01:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: status quo?  (Read 1183 times) Average Rating: 0
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« on: October 10, 2008, 12:42:36 AM »

From the outside looking in, what is this "status quo" elephant that seems to stomp between the different churches of the Orthodox faith, between the Greeks and the OCA and Russians and whatnot? Is it just in peoples' heads?

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 02:43:46 AM »

In summary, the granting of autocephaly (e.g. self-rule) by the Moscow Patriarchate in 1970 to the Metropolia in America is not recognized by the Ecumenical Patriarchate.  The Ecumenical Patriarchate recognizes today's Orthodox Church in America as a successor to the Metropolia and not as an autocephalous Orthodox Jurisdiction although the OCA's sacraments and clergy are recognized as valid.

The Moscow Patriarchate and Ecumenical Patriarchate have had issues over Ukraine, Catholic relations, Estonia and many more as evident by the threads on this board addressing these topics.   Smiley
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 07:32:07 AM »

I'll just add that the EP's claim to America (and China, Japan, etc.) are not generally recognized either.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 08:11:11 AM »

Sorry I don't understand the question Myrrh. What are you referring to?

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 08:39:26 AM »

In summary, the granting of autocephaly (e.g. self-rule) by the Moscow Patriarchate in 1970 to the Metropolia in America is not recognized by the Ecumenical Patriarchate.  The Ecumenical Patriarchate recognizes today's Orthodox Church in America as a successor to the Metropolia and not as an autocephalous Orthodox Jurisdiction although the OCA's sacraments and clergy are recognized as valid.

The Moscow Patriarchate and Ecumenical Patriarchate have had issues over Ukraine, Catholic relations, Estonia and many more as evident by the threads on this board addressing these topics.   Smiley

To be fair, most of the Autocephalous churches do not recognize the autocephaly of the OCA, but there are some who do, besides Moscow.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 12:33:02 PM »

To be fair, most of the Autocephalous churches do not recognize the autocephaly of the OCA, but there are some who do, besides Moscow.

True, I was sticking only to the Jurisdictions mentioned by the OP.   Smiley
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 12:47:09 PM »

I was under the impression that only Moscow recognized the OCA's autocephaly.  Which others do?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 04:18:01 PM »

I'm sure Polish because OCA's primate is named during the services with our Metropolite. On orthodoxwiki there's written that OCA is also recognised by Moscow, Bulgaria, Georgia, and the Czech Lands and Slovakia Churches.

Christianity in the USA seems "messy" for a foreigner. More or less 15 canonical jurisdictions, one of them is not recognized by some other Churches, but clergy pray together and there's intercommunion. There SCOBA, which gathers about half of the canonical jurisdictions, but there are some out of it. How can You  stand this?
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 04:43:23 PM »

I'm sure Polish because OCA's primate is named during the services with our Metropolite. On orthodoxwiki there's written that OCA is also recognised by Moscow, Bulgaria, Georgia, and the Czech Lands and Slovakia Churches.

Christianity in the USA seems "messy" for a foreigner. More or less 15 canonical jurisdictions, one of them is not recognized by some other Churches, but clergy pray together and there's intercommunion. There SCOBA, which gathers about half of the canonical jurisdictions, but there are some out of it. How can You  stand this?

Seems messy to me, too.  I stand it because I have no other choice.  Sad
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 06:09:35 PM »

Sorry I don't understand the question Myrrh. What are you referring to?

I was asking what Paisius meant when he said "Isn't that the status quo" or something like that in the thread Alexy II to visit Istanbul.

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

theologian by day, bard by night

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 07:26:55 PM »

How can You  stand this?

While it's a mess, I don't really experience negative consequences from it in my day to day life.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: