OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 11:01:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best translation of " The Brothers Karamazov"  (Read 3186 times) Average Rating: 0
MarkosC

Faith: Patriarchate of Antioch
Jurisdiction: Greek/Melkite Catholic

« on: October 09, 2008, 11:06:45 PM »

All, the thread on novels got me thinking.  I will spend substantial parts of the next two months on planes or on buses.  During this time, I hope to read "The Brothers Karamazov". 

Which English translation do you all recommend?

Thanks,

Markos

O Lord although I desired to blot out
with my tears the handwriting of my many sins
And for the rest of my life to please Thee
through sincere repentance
Yet doth the enemy lead me astray as he wareth
against my sould with his cunning

O Lord before I utterly perish do Thou save me!
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 12:40:34 AM »

I prefer that of Richard Prevear and Larissa Volokhonsky, but that is a preference from this non-Russian reader and based on how the book reads in English, not how true it is to the Russian.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 12:49:48 AM »

I have the translation that Αριστοκλής mentions. I really like it. But I have heard wonderful things about Pevear's translation as well.
Justinian

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 06:00:56 AM »

I second the above poster's recommendations. Beware of the Constance Garrett translation of Brothers Karamazov or any Russian work for that matter. I have it on good authority that she "winged" some of her translations, thus not giving you adequatley the full beauty and purpose of the original works themselves. 

"All this indignation have I hurled, At the pretending part of the proud world. Who, swollen with selfish vanity devise: false freedoms, holy cheats, and formal lies, Over their fellow slaves to tyrannize." - John Wilmot
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 03:32:39 PM »

I second the above poster's recommendations. Beware of the Constance Garrett translation of Brothers Karamazov or any Russian work for that matter. I have it on good authority that she "winged" some of her translations, thus not giving you adequatley the full beauty and purpose of the original works themselves. 
Lol, just my luck. That is the very translation I picked up today at the bookstore.

Oh yeah, and Thread resurrection!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 03:33:00 PM by Severian » Logged

On hiatus from posting. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Note that some of my older posts -especially those prior to late 2012- may not reflect my current views. In the meantime, please pray for my sinful self as I am in a critical and unsure juncture in my life. Thank you.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 03:46:28 PM »

Richard Prevear and Larissa Volokhonsky

I'm not a translation snob like Achronos, but even a simpleton like me knows that this is the best one.

But if you have Garnett that'll work just fine. When you're starving it makes no sense to turn down a baked potato because you wanted filet mignon. Or something.

Joe: 'Is it creepy for a 35 year old guy to date a 19 year old girl?'
Desiree: 'Not if she's the one to push for the relationship, babe.'
Joe: 'But...'
Desiree: 'You'll shut up if you're smart.'
Joe: 'Ok.'
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 10:07:30 PM »

I'm not a translation snob like Achronos, but even a simpleton like me knows that this is the best one.

But if you have Garnett that'll work just fine. When you're starving it makes no sense to turn down a baked potato because you wanted filet mignon. Or something.

That's because you're not a snob. A real snob would rather starve than eat crap.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 03:03:09 AM »

It's actually the The Brothers Karamazov (Second Edition) (Norton Critical Editions) .

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: