OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 08:50:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Database error  (Read 3705 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« on: October 07, 2008, 04:39:54 PM »

Frequently I'm getting "database errors" when I attempt to post.  I'll copy and paste it here the next time I see it.  Says something about needing an upgrade on the forum software...

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 04:59:43 PM »

Thanks. I know what error you are talking about. It's part of the same issue that causes the occasional outage we think.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 04:59:55 PM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 05:13:12 PM »

Quote from: Stupid Error Box
Database Error
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ')
ORDER BY mem.lngfile
LIMIT 0' at line 8
File: /var/www/html/forum/Sources/Subs-Post.php
Line: 774

Note: It appears that your database may require an upgrade. Your forum's files are currently at version SMF 1.1.6, while your database is at version 1.1.5. The above error might possibly go away if you execute the latest version of upgrade.php.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 06:23:24 PM »

At 256,000 posts, this board is approaching the "Big Board" status as evident by the "Big Board" Newsgroup (for those with over 500,000 posts) although access is by invitation only.

One suggestion would be to upgrade everything to 2.0b4?  I always used beta software in my past lives ... ... ...  Wink

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 08:12:23 PM »

At 256,000 posts, this board is approaching the "Big Board" status as evident by the "Big Board" Newsgroup (for those with over 500,000 posts) although access is by invitation only.

One suggestion would be to upgrade everything to 2.0b4?  I always used beta software in my past lives ... ... ...  Wink

The last time we tried to upgrade it had disastrous results. We need to find the problem, not just try to upgrade.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 09:43:08 PM »

The last time we tried to upgrade it had disastrous results. We need to find the problem, not just try to upgrade.

Our board is Orthodox - afraid of new technology Wink

---------------------
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 10:52:05 PM »

If it's OK to ask - upgrading the database to version 1.1.6 is a major issue?

Could the server(s) hosting this forum be underpowered in terms of disk/network/memory access resulting in "lapses?"
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 11:00:00 PM »

If it's OK to ask - upgrading the database to version 1.1.6 is a major issue?

Yes. Not because it's difficult. But because of who we are dealing with.

Could the server(s) hosting this forum be underpowered in terms of disk/network/memory access resulting in "lapses?"

It wouldn't surprise me. But the company denies it.

We need to check the error logs and see if there is a problem that can be corrected before trying to upgrade anything. Just because it says the database files are at 1.1.5 does not mean they actually are (learned that one an upgrade or two ago...)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 11:02:48 PM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 11:22:53 PM »

Yes. Not because it's difficult. But because of who we are dealing with.

I imagined that the OC.net server was in some server farm facility where someone can walk in and "tweak" with the server as necessary.  Remote access, via SSH, would be second best, if available.

It wouldn't surprise me. But the company denies it.

Good questions to ask the Server provider:
Recommended Requirements:

However, for best performance and use, a bit more is suggested. This includes the following:
Linux or another Unix based operating system.
The GNU Aspell and its dictionaries for spell checking support.
Apache with AcceptPathInfo set to On (Apache 2 and later only) for queryless URL support.
PHP 4.3.0 or higher, with the following set in php.ini:
     the max_input_time directive is set to a value of at least 30.
     the post_max_size and upload_max_filesize directives are set to the size of the largest attachments you wish to be able to upload.
     the session.use_trans_sid directive set to Off.
     the memory_limit directive is set to at least 8M.
     the max_execution_time directive is set to at least 15.
     the register_globals directive is set to Off.
MySQL 4.0.15 or higher with query caching enabled.
GD Graphics Library 2.0 or higher.

We need to check the error logs and see if there is a problem that can be corrected before trying to upgrade anything. Just because it says the database files are at 1.1.5 does not mean they actually are (learned that one an upgrade or two ago...)

If the host admins don't know, only remote access can answer that question.   Smiley
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 11:37:32 PM »

We have SSH access and are on a VPS.  I had the host company reprovision the server and then I reinstalled MYSQL and reimported the DB the last time we had any problem.  Like I said, we are going to need to check the logs the next time the error happens to see if there is any indication of what is going on.

Please Buy My Book!

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 11:45:45 PM »

We have SSH access and are on a VPS.

I'm sure you meant VPN? 

I had the host company reprovision the server and then I reinstalled MYSQL and reimported the DB the last time we had any problem.  Like I said, we are going to need to check the logs the next time the error happens to see if there is any indication of what is going on.

So, the log files go as far back to the last issue in early September?

Maybe the smileys are breaking the upgrade, according to the link attached in-line:
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 11:56:43 PM »

I'm sure you meant VPN? 

No, I meant VPS:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_server

So, the log files go as far back to the last issue in early September?

The mysqld log seems to go back to then. The httpd log only dates from today. Cleveland has seen the error he posted above, but we also have experienced errors which cause the httpd process to abruptly stop and it has to be restarted. Are the two things related? Maybe. Too early to say.

Maybe the smileys are breaking the upgrade, according to the link attached in-line:

Thank you for the reference and I will have a look.

Please Buy My Book!

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 12:13:21 AM »

Forgive me, Father A., for I hadn't seen a VPS until today.  I'm familiar with emulators and virtual Operating Systems, but not Virtual Servers.  Clearly, a VPS doesn't give this application full access to CPU, RAM and Disk as it lives basically in a chunk of disk space somewhere on a bigger server.  If the database starts approaching the disk limits, it will act funny and crash; That's been my experience in the past with tape backup databases when they grow large and crash without warning in a middle of  backup job.   Roll Eyes

The mysqld log seems to go back to then. The httpd log only dates from today.

That's odd - the VPS probably restarts the httpd daemon every day, clearing the log files to conserve on disk space unless the log files are moved elsewhere?   Huh

Cleveland has seen the error he posted above, but we also have experienced errors which cause the httpd process to abruptly stop and it has to be restarted. Are the two things related? Maybe. Too early to say.

httpd hangs.  I've never seen httpd restarted daily on a LINUX server.  Most LINUX servers I dealt with stayed up for months.

Thank you for the reference and I will have a look.

You're welcome.  The link helped many people resolve upgrade problems due to changing one word in a SQL script file.   Smiley
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 12:14:47 AM »

A few minutes ago, I received another database error and I noticed that there was a simultaneous post at 12:10:42 AM along with my post.  My post went through, so did the other poster's.  In computer speak, the behavior is called a race condition where two processes compete simultaneously for disk, memory and other resources.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: