OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 11:43:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Orthodox Faith  (Read 2120 times) Average Rating: 5
fatman2021
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Banned

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Russian Old-Orthodox Church

Protopope Avvakum, pray for us.

« on: October 06, 2008, 11:02:49 PM »

Now I have to say a few worlds to you about the Orthodox Faith and what it is. By this faith men living on earth  were united by love with the angels in heaven. They conversed with them and glorified God together with them, and when their souls had departed to God, they worked great miracles, giving sight to the blind, healing the crippled and paralysed, making the sick well and curing every disease and imfirmity.

O God be merciful to me a sinner. You, O Lord who created me, have mercy on me. I have sinned without number,O Lord, have mercy on me and forgive me, a sinner.
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 12:25:38 AM »

Now I have to say a few worlds to you about the Orthodox Faith and what it is. By this faith men living on earth  were united by love with the angels in heaven. They conversed with them and glorified God together with them, and when their souls had departed to God, they worked great miracles, giving sight to the blind, healing the crippled and paralysed, making the sick well and curing every disease and imfirmity.

Thank you for your worlds on the Orthodox faith. You have simultaneously opened everyones eyes on the forum.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 12:30:26 AM by prodromas » Logged

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 01:03:10 AM »

To the OP - Why am I thinking you're referring from the part of Genesis where the sons of God married the daughters of men only to be wiped out in the Great Flood?  If these people are extinct, how can they still perform the described miracles?
LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 04:40:39 AM »

Ummm, fatman, what are you getting at? Could you post more?
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 09:02:24 AM »

Dear Fatman2021,  Thanks for posting but I must admit, I am a little confused why you chose the Convert Issues to post your subject. As I am notorious as a poor typist I often have to correct my own posts several times to assure it says what I wish my post to say. I assume that you meant to use "words" instead of "worlds". Am I correct?

I agree with your statement " By this faith men living on earth  were united by love with the angels in heaven. They conversed with them and glorified God together with them, and when their souls had departed to God, they worked great miracles, giving sight to the blind, healing the crippled and paralysed, making the sick well and curing every disease and imfirmity." I am just uncertain where you are wanting to take this as a topic and if it is a Convert Issue rather than a free-for-all topic.  Let me know?

Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator.

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
fatman2021
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Banned

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 09:33:42 PM »

Do not be surprised at what I have written above, and do not doubt the truth of the fact that a man can restore sight by prayer, or heal every manner of illness and infirmity. Consider the saints' way of life. It was not that of ordinary men. Their endurance was like that of the bodiless angels themselves. Their food was bread and water, and they ate little and seldom. One of them would eat after a day, another after two, another once a week, another once in two weeks,  another would eat nothing for forty days and another would not even eat bread, but only herbs and roots. Thy did not care about their clothing, either. Barefoot and poorly clad, they endured the burning heat of the sun and the freezing cold of winter, wandering the earth, over wood and rock. Likewise, they prayed to God constantly and unceasingly, day and night. They would stand like immovable pillers; if they rested upon the ground, it was only for a little while. Such was the faith of the saints and their love for God.

O God be merciful to me a sinner. You, O Lord who created me, have mercy on me. I have sinned without number,O Lord, have mercy on me and forgive me, a sinner.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 09:37:00 PM »

^ Writing an Epistle?
zoarthegleaner
Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 04:13:06 PM »

"Consider the saints' way of life. It was not that of ordinary men. Their endurance was like that of the bodiless angels themselves. Their food was bread and water, and they ate little and seldom. One of them would eat after a day, another after two, another once a week, another once in two weeks,  another would eat nothing for forty days and another would not even eat bread, but only herbs and roots. Thy did not care about their clothing, either. Barefoot and poorly clad, they endured the burning heat of the sun and the freezing cold of winter, wandering the earth, over wood and rock. Likewise, they prayed to God constantly and unceasingly, day and night. They would stand like immovable pillers; if they rested upon the ground, it was only for a little while. Such was the faith of the saints and their love for God."

Consider James 5:17  Consider the story of Jonah. I am not certain the broad example of the experiences as presented describe all or perhaps most of the Saints.  There are different orders/choirs of Saints,.

One St. James known for his healing was brought a sick (mentally) daughter whom through St. James' prayers was healed.  He subsequently raped her and then murdered her to hide his crime/sin.  He lived in a grave praying for God's forgiveness which was revealed to him when a drought on the land was destroying life.   

Courteous is my name,
and I have always aimed to live up to it.
Grace is also my name,
but when things go wrong
its Courteous whom I blame;
but its Grace who sees me through it.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 06:14:54 PM »

I believe there are real saints around us whose lives are just like the lives of ordinary men and women - no big miracle working, no powerful signs, no healing of the diseases, nothing of this sort. But these people are kinder than the rest of us, softer, more loving.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 06:15:28 PM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
fatman2021
Banned

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 10:11:56 PM »

Such men as I speak of were the holy Hierarchs Basil the Great, Gregory the Theologian, John Chrysostom, Clement the Pope of Rome, Peter of Alexandria, Nicholas of Myra in Lycia, Athanasius and Cyril of Alexandria, Leo of Catania, Polycarp of Smyrna, Peter, Alexis, and Jonah of Moscow; and our holy and God-bearing monastic fathers Sergius of Radonezh, Cyril of Byelozersk, Barlaan of Khutyn, and many others, whose number and names are known to God alone.

LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 10:28:34 PM »

fatman, I ask again: What point are you trying to make?  Huh
Tags: The Orthodox Faith 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: