Author Topic: "bishop has no authority?"  (Read 2909 times)

Offline samkim

• High Elder
"bishop has no authority?"
« on: October 06, 2008, 04:55:17 PM »
What is the meaning of the comment from Midyat01 on this Syriac video when he says "the bishop has no authority?": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sFw2yZIhyA
주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
Re: "bishop has no authority?"
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 05:08:03 PM »
(disclaimer:  haven't watched the video)

My guess would be either:

1) the person has an issue with the bishop

or 2) the person is just referencing the verse by Christ where he says no one has power unless it were given from above.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 05:19:03 PM »
What is the meaning of the comment from Midyat01 on this Syriac video when he says "the bishop has no authority?": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sFw2yZIhyA 

The comment "the bishop has no authority" was made in the context that many people asked (in the comment section) that the video be taken down off YouTube, because they feel that the services of the Church should not be (a) recorded, and (b) broadcast.  They feel that it is not reverent to record them, that it takes them out of the context of the mystical worship, that it is disrespectful, that it leaves them open to desecration by non-believers, and more.  Then one person said that they think that the bishop (who is in the video, iirc) would have approved of the posting - and a person responded that "the bishop has no authority" - i.e. that the prohibition on recording and broadcasting the services is the Church's, and not the bishop's, rule to accept or dismiss.
How in Mor's good name
one hundred fifty four posts
No Rachel Weisz pic

Selam

Offline Amdetsion

• Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
  • High Elder
  • HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 05:57:59 PM »
I hope that the person who made the comment is not just being beligerant.

I tend to feel that this may be so.

It took a real low opinion or understanding of the Holy Church and its scared rites and practices to even film these seens. I mean they even took video behind the vail???. Shocking and unfortunate in my opinion.

I can not understand why the priests permitted the action in the first place.

This to me was chilling to watch as the choir cried out like the angles of mercy during Christs suffering.

Who wants to submit such a divine and deeply holy ritual like this on a outrageous and obscene public forum like YouTube?

Lord have mercy...
"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 06:11:50 PM »
Dn. Amde,

I suppose your comments would apply then to all Orthodox video published on youtube - and there is a lot of it!

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 08:32:09 PM »
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,17188.0.html

This video, as well as the broader topic of whether certain rituals should be filmed and publicly viewed, was discussed above.  It's a delicate and somewhat emotional issue.

Offline Amdetsion

• Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
  • High Elder
  • HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 04:37:59 PM »
Dn. Amde,

I suppose your comments would apply then to all Orthodox video published on youtube - and there is a lot of it!

This supposition is not correct at all.

I was speaking of the fact that we must be conscious of 'what' we put on the YouTube.

WE can not just put our holiest rites on display and definitely not on YouTube.

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7

Offline dhinuus

• High Elder
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 02:52:33 PM »
Dn. Amde,

No body is taking issue to Orthodox videos on You Tube. The issue is only with respect to this particular video of the "entombment of Christ" from the Holy friday service of the Syriac Orthodox Church.

There are certain things in the rituals of our holy church that are supposed to be conducted in secret for it being part of ' a divine mystery'.  That is why the curtain / veil is drawn over the sanctuary while such things are being done.

So by creating a video and posting it on You Tube of the portions of the Holy Friday service that is conducted behind the veil, it is equivalent of pulling down the veil. You would agree with me that the Bishop has no authority to change the services of the Church and say from now on, I dont want a veil in the Church covering the alter. So if the Bishop has no authority to remove the veil, then he has no authority to approve the filming and posting of the video of services that are conducted behind the veil.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 02:53:00 PM by dhinuus »
NULL