OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 06:58:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is it with this?  (Read 777 times) Average Rating: 0
nilus
A Finlander

« on: August 23, 2003, 02:44:32 AM »

http://reuters.feedroom.com/index.j...aeafd8ddceb3ce5
Look for Assumption Day in the lifestyle section.
What is up with this?  It makes us look like folks from the hill country with their snakes and sticks that beat them?
Nilus
« Last Edit: August 23, 2003, 03:04:47 AM by nilus » Logged

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy upon me a sinner.
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2003, 09:42:55 AM »

I saw that same thing on the tv news last year.

The news media folks love that sort of stuff - anything that makes Christianity seem like rank superstition.

My impression of RCism growing up in Northern California came from similar types of reports on the tv news. I remember one in particular: a local Mexican-American woman had baked a tortilla that seemed to have the face of Jesus on it. It was deemed "miraculous" by the locals, who were showing up by the hundreds to venerate it.

Such reports made it easier to dismiss RCism out of hand as folk mythology (even though no official church spokesman had endorsed the miracle tortilla).

Reports of icons that beat people for their sins will no doubt have the same effect for Orthodoxy.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: