OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 09:22:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Wal-Mart Epidemic  (Read 2846 times) Average Rating: 0
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« on: October 04, 2008, 07:10:36 PM »

I found an amusing site today. It charts the growth of Wal-Mart over the last forty-five years. Each green dot indicates one store.

http://projects.flowingdata.com/walmart/?walmart

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 07:16:38 PM »

yuck
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 07:20:22 PM »

Yikes!  I have only been to a Walmart once and it only took a few minutes and I had to leave. It was a creepy and soulless place which induced nausea!
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 07:22:42 PM »

Who'd a thunk a lil' ol' Ozarkian boy would one day create a capitalist empire? 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 07:31:19 PM »

Awesome! Grin

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 07:49:32 PM »

Who'd a thunk a lil' ol' Ozarkian boy would one day create a capitalist empire? 
Unfortunately, most of the damage done by Wal-Mart has occurred after Sam Walton's death. From what I know of him, I think he would have cringed at tactics like giving the employees health insurance with hidden costs and paying their employees in the form of Wal-Mart gift cards.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 07:58:23 PM »

paying their employees in the form of Wal-Mart gift cards

I'm glad I took the time to read that, rather than just assuming...

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 10:43:14 PM »

It's incredible how quickly it's grown.  I visited a Walmart in Dalian, China in 2001.  Interestingly enough, my Chinese friends only thought of it as an American novelty and not a place they would actually shop.  Everyone knew it was filled with the worst quality stuff (insert joke about it being made in China here) and that most of the goods were terribly overpriced.  Since it still followed the American business model, haggling over prices wasn't really done there and therefore my Chinese friends warned me to stay away or I'd waste my money.  It was much better (and way more fun) to go haggle with the street vendors. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 10:52:57 PM »

... paying their employees in the form of Wal-Mart gift cards

Ewwww. How unutterably tacky.  Tongue

Bet the head honchos get squillions in salary and perks, though.  Angry
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 11:28:14 PM »

And someone apparently didn't read the article referenced.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 07:00:44 AM »

And someone apparently didn't read the article referenced.
Not necessarily. I believe it's horribly tacky, and not because it's forced upon them (it's not), but because Wal-Mart is attempting to exploit their own employees for profit. If they paid their employees a living wage, there would be less incentive for the employees to tie up their money at one store just for a few dollars a month. Wal-Mart is manipulating the people who work for them, and I do have a problem with that.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 08:29:46 AM »

Agreed (i.e. me too).

Just because a number of the heirs are on the world's top-10 richest persons list doesn't mean they're making imaginary amounts Wink lol.  (Just pulling your cheeply-made, Wal-Mart purchased chain.)

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 04:42:27 PM »

Agreed (i.e. me too).

Just because a number of the heirs are on the world's top-10 richest persons list doesn't mean they're making imaginary amounts Wink lol.  (Just pulling your cheeply-made, Wal-Mart purchased chain.)

You spelled "cheaply" wrong. (Makes Walmart joke) Should've bought that dictionary at the bookstore instead of Walmart! Tongue

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
thetraditionalfrog
Traditional Frog

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 06:50:59 PM »

Even though Wal-Mart could save me a goodly amount of money (especially on my meager income), I make every effort to avoid shopping there.  Not only does the cooporation engage in questionable practices, the shopping experience leaves much to be desired, especially on a Saturday. It's literally exhausting.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 06:51:28 PM by thetraditionalfrog » Logged

“For the honorable Cross and golden freedom!” -Sv Lazar

“Give up everything for Christ, but Christ for nothing!” -Sv Sava
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 08:46:52 PM »

West Virginians love "Walley World"...yes, that's what they call it, and it's probably the closest thing to a mall people go to in their income bracket.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
thetraditionalfrog
Traditional Frog

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 09:41:03 PM »

"Walley-World"... There are some people here in Indiana that also call it that.

If Wal-Mart was the only place around to shop, of course I'd shop there out of necessity. I'm not saying all Wal-Marts are unpleasant experiences (much depends on the management and employees), just the ones that I have been to here in Indianapolis. I lived in a smaller town growing up and the local Wal-Mart was more pleasant, although the K-Mart was even better.

I understand in certain areas Wal-Mart is about it.

“For the honorable Cross and golden freedom!” -Sv Lazar

“Give up everything for Christ, but Christ for nothing!” -Sv Sava
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 09:44:20 PM »

You spelled "cheaply" wrong. (Makes Walmart joke) Should've bought that dictionary at the bookstore instead of Walmart! Tongue

It was actually a slip related to my thea's favorite joke (started off as a K-Mart joke, but now is a Wal-Mart joke):

What did the birds say when they flew over the Wal-Mart?

Cheep Cheep! Cheep Cheep!

(I couldn't count, on all the fingers and toes in Cleveland, how many times she's said that joke in the last 20 years.)

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2008, 10:51:48 PM »

I live in a community of 100,000 people and there are THREE super Wal-Marts within a six mile radius of eachother.  And the sad part about it is that alot of the local shops have ceased to exhist because of the spread of these mega-hyper-super marts.  If my bank werent there, I'd never go to the place at all (and I'm thinking of switching banks....like soon.)

The food has gone down in quality and up in price.  Most of the clothing I would not be caught dead in, and it's cheaper to buy the movies at Hastings and get electronics from Half.com.

The only ones we have to blame are ourselves, and our want for everything under one space, nevermind quality, freshness, true value and friendly, efficient service.  Lines at the place cans stretch to the clothing aisles because they refuse to hire sufficient staff.  And the staff they have is not that congenial.  If I get out of there with a look in the eyes in the miracle.

Bottom line, we want to change it, complain.  Or shop somewhere else.

Personally, I shop at the Mercado El Monterey down the street.  Good meat market prices and hommade tortillas & tamales.  Frag Wal-Mart!

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2008, 11:15:49 PM »

I'm with you on the local bodega. We buy many things from La Tortilleria and from an Asian market, East East. Good stuff, good prices, and people who actually want to do business with me. I don't ask for much, but these three I do require.

AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 12:13:13 AM »

Wow, Walmart bashing, that's new.

http://www.nationalreview.com/lowry/lowry200404120852.asp
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2008, 12:15:49 AM »

We buy many things from La Tortilleria and from an Asian market, East East. Good stuff, good prices,...
I love East East!  I used to go to Binh Tay, but they're very rude and the place stinks to high heaven.  Gotta give 'em credit though; tyring to make Durian and the Third World haute couture ain't easy.  Grin You might want to try the Latino Market over on St. Louis street.  She wife is from Columbia while the husband is from Egypt so you can get Hispanic and Arabic spices.  Does it get any better?  

I don't ask for much,...
That's not the Y I know. Wink

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2008, 01:42:54 AM »

We buy many things from La Tortilleria and from an Asian market, East East. Good stuff, good prices,...
I love East East!  I used to go to Binh Tay, but they're very rude and the place stinks to high heaven.  Gotta give 'em credit though; tyring to make Durian and the Third World haute couture ain't easy.  Grin You might want to try the Latino Market over on St. Louis street.  She wife is from Columbia while the husband is from Egypt so you can get Hispanic and Arabic spices.  Does it get any better?  

I don't ask for much,...

The current economy has pushed our family to do more grocery and household supply shopping at WalMart. We also frequent Dollar Stores and Big Lots.
Now we are even thinking of getting a small freezer and shopping in bulk at places like Costco.
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2008, 01:53:41 AM »

Speaking of prices- I've noticed that the usually higher priced "local organic" goods in one of my local chain grocery stores are actually cheaper in some instances than the factory farm (is that the right term?) goods.  I think it's a great thing- transportation costs will make local, healthier foods cheaper in the long run and local industries will prosper...or, at least I hope that's what happens.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 01:54:11 AM by Bogoliubtsy » Logged

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2008, 01:58:06 AM »

Speaking of prices- I've noticed that the usually higher priced "local organic" goods in one of my local chain grocery stores are actually cheaper in some instances than the factory farm (is that the right term?) goods.  I think it's a great thing- transportation costs will make local, healthier foods cheaper in the long run and local industries will prosper...or, at least I hope that's what happens.

I am with you on that. Wendell Berry has a lot to say about living locally and commitment to a specific geography.

Even a few generations ago, city neighborhoods were the "small towns" within big metropolis's (that is a spelling error for sure!)

Hopefully we will see a return to the idea of neighborhoods, local industries, regional distribution etc.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2008, 08:30:45 AM »

Cool! I"ll have to check it out.

I don't ask for much,...
Okay, maybe I do. But I don't ask for things that are impossible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgi7QCu1qAo

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2008, 09:20:13 AM »

Oh, now that's awesome.  We are definitely going there this week.  Smiley  Thanks for the hot tip!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2008, 09:28:58 AM »

"Hot tip" - Is that a pun (spices)?   Cheesy

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2008, 09:34:48 AM »

"Hot tip" - Is that a pun (spices)?   Cheesy

When you're married to a teacher, puns become contagious.  laugh

Marc Hanna
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox - Coptic/Armenian
Jurisdiction: Canada

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2008, 10:05:03 AM »

In Ontario (Canada) our Wal-marts are much nicer than stores like Zellers and K-mart and Woolco.  I shop there because I have 4 kids with another on the way and I need to save some money.  I certainly don't buy electronics there, but I have bought CD's and DVD's there, however I don't think there's any savings there.  We buy kids clothing, kids shoes, staple items and batteries.

Our Wal-marts sell a lot of Canadian products too.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2008, 11:13:17 AM »

This was recently posted at fark.com (beware of coarse language at the link):

Quote from: epoc_tnac
In 100 years, there will be just one Walmart, visible from New York and Los Angeles. It will occupy the state formerly known as Oklahoma, and it will be the engine of the entire US economy. Everyone in the country will work there at least one day a week, in order to bring home enough rations to sustain the family for another few days.

Towering 5,000ft in the air, generating thunderstorms through it's sheer electified mass, people will worship at the gates. They will lay down their hands on the floor and gaze up at the almighty black cube of consumerism, praying for a 2 for 1 offer on childrens sneakers, a 33% extra tub of processed potato salad, and a free sample of Sunny Delight 4 and a half miles down the juice isle.

This is your future, America. Don't say that you weren't warned.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 11:17:36 AM by EofK » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: