OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 10:31:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm Not A Pagan  (Read 10794 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: August 22, 2003, 12:57:07 PM »

Please get the zodiak sign thing off my profile.

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2003, 01:04:12 PM »

Dear Justin,

While I find it curious that you ask for it to be removed from "your" profile and not from all profiles, I must agree that it is a good idea to nix it.

Bobby must not have noticed that feature when he upgraded.  I agree it's not cool for a Christian message board.  Bobby, can you nix the zodiac sign thing in our profiles?

Thanks,

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2003, 01:05:11 PM »

Sure I'll nix it when I get home .
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2003, 01:05:50 PM »

Well I didn't want to say "remove it from all of ours" and then have someone post angrily that I was pushing my morality on them and that this somehow proved that we ROCORites think we are better than everyone and can tell everyone what to do and so forth Wink

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2003, 01:06:29 PM »

Sure I'll nix it when I get home .

Thank you!

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2003, 03:04:58 PM »

Well I didn't want to say "remove it from all of ours" and then have someone post angrily that I was pushing my morality on them and that this somehow proved that we ROCORites think we are better than everyone and can tell everyone what to do and so forth Wink

Dude, I don't think anyone (appropriately thinking) would bother to infer this.  Just politely reminding everyone/administrators that Astrology is un-Christian is fine.
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2003, 04:14:38 PM »

Fo' shizzle nizzle.

No more zodiac.

Bobby the Aries
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2003, 02:35:04 AM »

Was there a zodiac thing on my profile?

I never saw it, but then I haven't checked my profile in quite awhile.

It's not there now.

Glad it's gone (if it was there).

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 07:25:24 PM »

Ironically, now I am a pagan.  Grin

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 07:31:44 PM »

Ironically, now I am a pagan.  Grin

Robert,

Can we get the zodiac sign back? Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 07:46:25 PM »

I know you're sick on my harping on this whole atheist/agnostic thing...but an atheist/agnostic/pagan...I don't think I'm asking when I'm curious as to how that works.

Perhaps you're comming to see the wisdom of Ovid?
'It is convenient that there be gods, and, as it is convenient, let us believe there are.'

Perhaps we'll get you back afterall, and this board can have two 'Greek Orthodox Deist/Agnostics' to quote 'SmoT' Grin

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 08:07:04 PM »

I just figured he was either speaking metaphorically
or perhaps the
Carl Jung type of Paganism.

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 08:07:49 PM »

Of course,
I reckon that I'll let Asteriktos speak for himself. Smiley

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006, 08:12:43 PM »

Lol, well in this case I was using pagan to signify my unbelief/irreligion, not that I had exchanged one set of religious myths/beliefs for others. Smiley
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 08:13:27 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006, 08:27:37 PM »

But isn't the "Watchmaker" of the Deists just a different "myth" anyway? Wink

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2006, 08:32:28 PM »

Yeah, I'd say so  Smiley
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 08:33:06 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2006, 08:44:53 PM »

And the non-existence of God held by Atheists, unprovable as it is, has as much "validity" as any other "myth", no?  So there's no escape! Wink

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2006, 09:25:04 PM »

And the non-existence of God held by Atheists, unprovable as it is, has as much "validity" as any other "myth", no?  So there's no escape!

I wouldn't say that all myths are equally valid, no. Besides, the belief that you can prove that there is no God isn't a myth, it's a lapse in reasoning. Smiley

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2006, 09:28:33 PM »

I wouldn't say that all myths are equally valid, no.
But they're all myths, aren't they? We can say that myths may contain a philosophical or moral truth, but the moment we say they contain a metaphysical truth, they stop being myths. Wink

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2006, 09:39:16 PM »

But they're all myths, aren't they? We can say that myths may contain a philosophical or moral truth, but the moment we say they contain a metaphysical truth, they stop being myths. Wink

They become superstitions Wink

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2006, 09:51:11 PM »

LOL Cheesy And at what point do they graduate to become ontological truths?

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2006, 09:56:38 PM »

When enough people with enough power over the masses say so? Grin

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2006, 10:04:35 PM »

Cheesy
Well that would exclude the Early Church then. It was at the mercy of the masses, yet the faithful were prepared to die for the ontological Truth they held.  Wink

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2006, 01:05:53 AM »

And where would the Church of the Martyrs be today if they had not found favour with the Empire? Perhaps we should consider where the ancient and once thriving faith of the Zoroastrians stands today...what became of it when when their political support was destroyed...

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2006, 01:27:22 AM »

And where would the Church of the Martyrs be today if they had not found favour with the Empire?
Exactly where it's Founder said it should be.... Wink

Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2006, 03:46:23 AM »

Perhaps you're comming to see the wisdom of Ovid?
'It is convenient that there be gods, and, as it is convenient, let us believe there are.'

LOL!   Grin

Perhaps we'll get you back afterall, and this board can have two 'Greek Orthodox Deist/Agnostics' to quote 'SmoT' Grin

one is more than enough  Wink

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2006, 09:24:52 AM »

Exactly where it's Founder said it should be.... Wink

'Of another world'...in the most literal that phrase's meanings? For they certainly would not be known in this one. Wink

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2006, 09:27:51 AM »

one is more than enough  Wink

Any supporter of a Church of the Oecumenical Throne is more than welcome and much needed...regardless of the trivialities of their theology. Grin

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2006, 09:31:31 AM »

For they certainly would not be known in this one. Wink
Yes they would, they'd just be hated- which is a whole lot better than the indifference we "enjoy" in Australia and the US. If the Church of Constantinople can endure 500 years of persecution and survive, so could we....unless, of course, we are just chaff...Wink

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2006, 09:34:10 AM »

Yes they would, they'd just be hated- which is a whole lot better than the indifference we "enjoy" in Australia and the US. If the Church of Constantinople can endure 500 years of persecution and survive, so could we....unless, of course, we are just chaff...Wink

It has survived, yes...but grown???

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2006, 09:41:02 AM »

It has survived, yes...but grown???
  Yeah, you're probably right. The Church of Constantinople is pretty insignificant.... and uninfluential....Wink
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 09:44:37 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2006, 06:12:51 PM »

Yeah, you're probably right. The Church of Constantinople is pretty insignificant.... and uninfluential....Wink

LOL...She is truly a great Church, but her greatness is derived from her Imperial past...not from the years of occupation. Smiley

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2006, 07:07:13 PM »

LOL...She is truly a great Church, but her greatness is derived from her Imperial past...not from the years of occupation. Smiley
I dunno......Christian "Greatness" as defined by Christ is a bit different to what you are descibing....."unless the grain of wheat falls to the ground and dies....", "whoever would be great among you....", "He who endures to the end.....", "Blessed are you when men persecute you and speak all manner of evil against you for My sake......
Would Constantinople even have a diasopra that stetches from the Americas to Australia if she hadn't been persecuted? And would she have as much credibility if she hadn't been called to bear witness in the face of prolonged and severe persecution? Would you have joined her?.....The Lord moves in mysterious ways.... Wink

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2006, 07:25:26 PM »

Would Constantinople even have a diasopra that stetches from the Americas to Australia if she hadn't been persecuted? And would she have as much credibility if she hadn't been called to bear witness in the face of prolonged and severe persecution? Would you have joined her?.....

Hard to say what would have transpired, but had the Empire been preserved, it is quite possible that the various schisms from Russia to Greece would not have transpired, and in that the Glory, if not the honour, rank, and authority, of Constantinople would be greater. Her Cathedrals would be more Ancient and more Glorious, and she would hold more sway in the hearts of men.

Before Islam conquered much of the Empire, New Rome was a Great and Glorious city, even until its fall it was the Greatest City in the World; and the Glory of the City became the Glory of the See...today the City, like the Church, is but a shadow of Her Glorious past...and Constantinople is Great like the Church is Great...in Her past deeds and in the few Imperial trappings she can maintain. She is Great in Memory.

The Lord moves in mysterious ways.... Wink

And in not so mysterious ways...I believe it was Napoleon who observed, 'God is on the side of the big battalions.' Wink
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 07:27:47 PM by greekischristian » Logged

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2006, 07:42:22 PM »

And in not so mysterious ways...I believe it was Napoleon who observed, 'God is on the side of the big battalions.' Wink
<cough, cough>, Waterloo, <cough, cough> El Alamein, <cough> Our Lady of Victories <cough, cough>...... Smiley
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 07:42:55 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2006, 08:01:42 PM »

<cough, cough>, Waterloo, <cough, cough> El Alamein, <cough> Our Lady of Victories <cough, cough>...... Smiley

LOL...I just went for the simplist quote, I guess I could have quoted Voltaire: 'God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best.'

But to ascribe the outcome in war to the capabilities of the common soldier would be disingenuous. So perhaps I could have quoted the great theorist Basil Liddell Hart, 'The profoundest truth of war is that the issue of battle is usually decided in the minds of the opposing commanders, not in the bodies of their men.'

But the battles you mention do not bode well with this general truth. So perhaps I should quote that greatest of the gods of war: Carl von Clausewitz:

'Warfare has three main objects: To conquer and destroy the armed power of the enemy; To take possession of his material and other sources of strength; and To gain public opinion.'

Of course, this no longer makes the point I intended to make, so I improvise:

'God is on the side with the biggest battalions, greatest generals, and most skillful politicians. If these qualities are divided amongst the opposing sides, God has to do a case study and statistical analysis to determine who has the best combination of the three.'

So now you see why I opted to simply say 'God is on the side of the big battalions.' Wink

Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2009, 02:31:00 PM »

So now you see why I opted to simply say 'God is on the side of the big battalions.' Wink

How do those battalions get to be so big in the first place? Roll Eyes

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
IPC
Elder

Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: RZC

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2009, 08:58:25 PM »

One of the most uncomfortable, yet frequent conversations:

---- What's your zodiac sign?

---- I don't have any.

---- Everyone has one. When is your birthday?

---- September 6th

---- That makes you a Virgo

---- No, it doesn't, I'm a christian, and I want nothing to do with astrology

---- Oh yes it does, as a matter of fact, what I've read about virgos fit perfectly with you

---- They say so many things, that at least one might eventually match some aspects of our lives and
       personality, still, that means nothing, I am not a virgo

---- You need to be more open, and be open to the possibility that astrology is based on serious
       studies and researches

---- Wouldn't it be good if you kept your own mind open to the possibility that astrology can be
       wrong and that I'm actually right in my position?

---- Heheheheheh oh ok, we'll agree to disagree, but no matter what you say, you're a virgo, and trust
       me, you are so virgo! I know you inside out

---- I'm not, but hey, I'm hungry, How about some italian?

---- Sweet! but lets stop at the ATM, I'm out of cash

---- Right, I'm not paying for your food. Hehehehehehehe

---- You're insuffereable! you know that?! HEEHEH

THIS USER USED THE SCREEN NAME PRAVOSLAV09 BEFORE.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2009, 01:49:33 AM »

My priest says that when someone asks you what your sign is, you should respond, "The sign of the Cross."   Smiley

GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2009, 10:29:57 AM »

Too bad I can't give such an answer in Greek. Sad

By the way, there's only a way to test astrology: twins! police angel
(I think Carl Sagan said this.)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 10:30:14 AM by GammaRay » Logged

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2009, 12:33:57 PM »

Too bad I can't give such an answer in Greek. Sad

By the way, there's only a way to test astrology: twins! police angel
(I think Carl Sagan said this.)

Not quite. Astrology isn't deterministic.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
IPC
Elder

Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: RZC

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2009, 09:44:27 PM »

Astrology is subjective, it can't be tested. Tongue

THIS USER USED THE SCREEN NAME PRAVOSLAV09 BEFORE.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2009, 10:18:54 PM »

My priest says that when someone asks you what your sign is, you should respond, "The sign of the Cross."   Smiley

Great answer!  Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2009, 09:42:09 AM »

Astrology is subjective, it can't be tested. Tongue
Newspaper horoscopy is quite subjective, yes; but other types of astrology are much less so.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
mersch

Faith: converting to orthodoxy, seems to be on hold

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2009, 12:49:09 AM »

That is so good!!! Love it!!
Tags: god myth atheism Paganism 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: