OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 09:16:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Venison Recipes  (Read 2841 times) Average Rating: 0
jayjay

« on: October 01, 2008, 11:48:47 AM »

Does anyone have any good recipes for venison (deer). Shot a few the other day, and would like your best recipes for a roast & back straps (scotch filet). I have a dry rub that is nice, but looking for something different.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 12:52:39 PM »

Take some bacon grease (or crisco).  Heat it in an iron skillet.  Take said venison and bread it/corn flake it add seasonings and BAM! Shake and bake with flavorings may be good.  I'll let you know next month.

Where I'm from Venison is a staple of the diet. Just substitute venison where you'd use beef.  Make a nice roast.  Venison fajitas are good.  I mean the ideas are endless.  One thing they do around here is put up the venison.  They boil it (I think) and then put it in mason jars.  I refuse to do that.  Get some made into bologna, the kind with cheese in it is always good.  You get venison hot dogs made, sausage...
But the back straps/butterfly steaks just use that good dry rub and enjoy.   One thing I don't do is get my deer hamburger cut with beef meat like some folks do.  The naturally low fat in venison is a plus and you can always use egg whites to keep your venison burgers together. 
Talk about free range, antibiotic and hormone free meat low in fat and good for you.

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 01:24:51 PM »

One reason I've never cared for venison is that I can't get the gamey taste out of it.  My sister recommended soaking it in milk but that only seemed to help a little (and the sight of bloody milk killed my appetite, too).  What can I do to make the meat taste better?

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 02:45:44 PM »

^ Marinate with red wine and let the acids go to work on the gameness.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 03:10:51 PM »

A) my venison doesn't have any "gamey-ness" to it

B) make sure you take the deer to a reputable meat shop or do it yourself

C) Venison, whether moose, elk, whitetail, mule deer isn't beef/cattle.  Properly prepared it doesn't taste "gamey."  If the only red meat you are used to is cattle then venison will have a different texture if eaten as a steak/roast.

D) I think people are turned off and pronounce venison as "gamey" because it is ill-prepared or it was cut by an ill-fitted meat processor. 

The goodness of the final product, the cut meat, is only as good as the preparation that involves things 95% of the American public who eat meat never see.  Most people just buy it off the shelf and have some idea of what goes into getting that london broil on the shelf. 

E)  ask yourself how long the meat has been frozen.  Many times people have given me meat or I have been at their home and they've pulled out deer meat that has been frozen for 2 years plus.  No thank you!   The vast majority of people buy meat as they need it so the meat is always fresh.  Move over to the world of venison.  Someone culls a few large deer and the family that usually buys meat as they need it now has a large cache of meat in the freezer.  What they don't know is how to care for and use frozen meat. 

So it is several factors.  How long did the deer hang in temperatures over 50 degrees F?  How was it prepared before the butcher shop?  Was the person who culled it careful in field dressing the deer to ensure that the carcass arrived clean to a CLEAN butcher shop?  How long has the meat been in the freezer? 

Get some good fresh or frozen venison that hasn't been frozen more than 6-8 months that was properly prepared from the time it was culled to the time it reaches your plate.  You'll actually enjoy venison and experience a tender good meat that is pleasing to the palate. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 03:13:19 PM by username! » Logged

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 03:31:12 PM »

^Thanks, I'll keep this in mind.  The last time I had venison it was killed, dressed, and prepared by my brother in law who has... well... questionable practices with food.  It was only about a month frozen but the processing part of it left something to be desired.  Wink

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 04:27:04 PM »

I always liked venison fondue...besides being good tasting, it was a great excuse to get with friends and party!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 05:57:07 PM »

Mmmmm...venison...
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 06:01:02 PM »

I always liked venison fondue...besides being good tasting, it was a great excuse to get with friends and party!

What a great idea!!!  I can't recall the last time we had fondue.   I can not believe how quickly the deer here changed from their cinnamon colored summer coat to the brown winter coat.  What about an early January oc.net game dinner complete with fondue?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 06:01:41 PM by username! » Logged

FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 06:08:19 PM »

^^That would be cool! We can get Yuengling and Rolling Rock by the case and then let the fondue pots start to boil...

We at OC.net always plan on things like this, but never get them done. Sad

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 06:27:16 PM »

^^That would be cool! We can get Yuengling and Rolling Rock by the case and then let the fondue pots start to boil...

We at OC.net always plan on things like this, but never get them done. Sad

Father Bless!  I like the way you think......    But at least in spirit we think about these gatherings Smiley 

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 06:46:11 PM »

What a great idea!!!  I can't recall the last time we had fondue.   I can not believe how quickly the deer here changed from their cinnamon colored summer coat to the brown winter coat.  What about an early January oc.net game dinner complete with fondue?
I would like this, but given our past history, I'm inclined to believe it won't happen.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 07:13:22 PM »

One reason I've never cared for venison is that I can't get the gamey taste out of it.

EofK, there is far less chance of gameyness if the animal is female. Butchers can tell from looking at the carcass if an animal is male or female. This also applies to lamb, pork, and, especially, goat. Billies and rams are quite pungent, as would be stags. I would recommend soaking in milk, as this works a treat with hare as well.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 08:24:55 PM »

What can I do to make the meat taste better?
Become a vegetarian.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 08:38:36 PM »

Venison is wonderful for gyros.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2008, 12:37:59 PM »

What can I do to make the meat taste better?
Become a vegetarian.

That's pretty much the route I've taken anyway!   laugh

Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2008, 03:46:08 PM »

Does anyone have any good recipes for venison (deer). Shot a few the other day, and would like your best recipes for a roast & back straps (scotch filet). I have a dry rub that is nice, but looking for something different.

We usually prepare stew with our venison. In Greece there is a recipe for wild game called Stefatho. Marinate with a white wine like Retsina the night before you cook the venison.

STEFATHO (BEEF STEW WITH ONIONS)

2 pounds stew beef
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups water
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
3 tablespoons vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cinnamon stick, optional
8 whole cloves
2 pounds small white onions, peeled

Trim fat from meat. In a large heavy kettle, heat oil and brown meat on all sides.

In a separate saucepan, mix water, tomato paste, vinegar, salt, pepper and garlic; bring to a boil. Pour over meat in kettle. Add cinnamon stick. Insert cloves into an onion and add to kettle. Cover and simmer 1 hour.

Add the remaining onions and simmer another hour or until onions are tender.

Makes 6 servings

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: