OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 08:09:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tips for Living Simply and Well  (Read 12860 times) Average Rating: 0
McB

Faith: Inquirer

« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2011, 09:09:00 AM »

Make your own cleaning supplies.  Bleach, vinegar and ammonia are all very cheap and you can mix them with water in a spray bottle for easy cleaning.  Home made laundry soap is also pretty easy to make using borax and washing powder.

<delurk>

While I am all for making your own cleaning supplies, please do not ever mix bleach and ammonia.  Chlorine gas and its friends are no friends to you or your lungs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/classic/A795611
http://chemistry.about.com/od/toxicchemicals/a/Mixing-Bleach-And-Ammonia.htm

</delurk>
Mikhael

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2011, 01:50:47 PM »

Yeah, that would be bad.  I meant mix them SEPARATELY with water.
mike1sykes

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2011, 07:14:33 AM »

Just cooking and biking,nothing else...

hillcityjosh

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church Abroad

CutterJosh
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2011, 08:33:26 AM »

Netflix streaming instead of cable...especially if you have kids...lots of great family-friendly stuff on there for $7.00 month.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2011, 12:17:25 AM »

is anyobe familiar with Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover?

Proverbs 22:7
Malina

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Russian Patriarchate

« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2012, 04:39:55 PM »

If we look at history of primitive old life, people use very limited resources for living.
As a matter of fact, people need very little things for living.
We can eat less food then before, grow our own fruit and vegetables, buy just really necessary products.
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2012, 07:11:29 PM »

Three words

Dollar Value Menu

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2012, 09:59:35 PM »

Make your own cleaning supplies.  Bleach, vinegar and ammonia are all very cheap and you can mix them with water in a spray bottle for easy cleaning.  Home made laundry soap is also pretty easy to make using borax and washing powder.

<delurk>

While I am all for making your own cleaning supplies, please do not ever mix bleach and ammonia.  Chlorine gas and its friends are no friends to you or your lungs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/classic/A795611
http://chemistry.about.com/od/toxicchemicals/a/Mixing-Bleach-And-Ammonia.htm

</delurk>

Also be careful that you never expose break cleaner to high temperatures and argon gas.  Phosgene is not your friend.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2012, 12:04:36 AM »

My wife grew up as an anabaptist Mennonite.

These people live simply.

If I could define, much like monastics, but with families (if you can imagine that).  Lots of prayer, candle making, home cooking, sewing, raising livestock, good thanksgiving before meals, soap making, and "taking the time it takes to do things".  No deep complexities or anything like that.  No video games, TV, computers that are all complicated and involved.

It's a great way to live.  We do it about 80% of the way here.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Malina

« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2012, 03:12:25 PM »

As a matter of fact people need just small amount of resources (some food, shelter, etc.) for living. If we try to use every opportunity for live simply we could obtain it. Just be proactive in every moment of life and think what and how you need to spend. Three things in life we must use as best as possible and we don`t have to defalcate it in vain, these are time, words and possibilities.
Malina

« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2013, 02:38:19 PM »

Consumption mostly depends on our desires and “often using” word want.
In my opinion people need very limited amount of resources for living. So if we want to reduce our outlays we have to less our desires.
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2013, 04:23:58 PM »

Tips for living simply and well, eh?

1.  Buy good quality socks.  You'll save money in the long run and they are such a pleasure to wear.
2.  Use less laundry detergent.  Also, wash most clothes on the cold cycle.
3.  Dry clothes on the line.  You will save money on electricity/gas and your clothes will last longer.
4.  Buy the "lesser" cuts of meat and buy them with the bones.  They are much cheaper and generally more nutritious.  Make stock from the bones.  Buy the whole chicken.
5.  Buy produce in season.  Don't eat strawberries or asparagus in January; they are very expensive then and aren't any good anyways.
6.  Make canning and preserving a priority.  It is fun and so rewarding.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2013, 04:41:09 PM »

Don't buy yourself anything that you don't need--this is perhaps the hardest one yet it helps the most. You see something you want like a TV or a watch or something? Don't buy it. You want a Starbucks coffee? Don't buy it. Train yourself to live off of only what you need. I've already been doing this to an extent for quite a while now. Instead, save all of your money, only use it for what you need and be sure to give as much of it as you can to charity--I've noticed that the more I give to charity, the more God awards me with later. One time I donated $10 to charity even though I really needed it, three days later I got $30.

The best time to get things that you don't need but want is during holidays when people buy you gifts. That is always when I get things I don't need but want.

Secondly, SAVE YOUR PLASTIC BAGGIES! If you ever pack a lunch for work or schooling and say you use the plastic "ziplock" baggies to store food in--save them! Don't throw them away. That's wasting money. You can easily save them, wash them at hope and reuse them until they tear--which is usually about after being used four times. Also, try to use the least amount of electricity you need. If you need a light, forget turning on a lamp, just light a candle. You can easily get an entire bag of candles at the dollar store.

Paper towels/napkins--whichever you use, try to use the least amount possible that you need to stay clean during your meal. I always tear my paper towels in half so that a roll lasts me double the time.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2013, 04:56:22 PM »

Prepaid credit cards and pay-as-you-go phones are great ways to avoid getting into debt.

The clearance corner in the supermarket is your friend.

Cook at home (and pack your own lunch for work/school). Get creative with leftovers.

Become a regular at the library. If you like owning books, join a book-swapping site like BookMooch or PaperbackSwap.

Browsing charity shops is like treasure hunting. Fun, and you can never know what you will unearth. If you become a regular, you may end up having presents for everyone long before Christmas, and for peanuts.

Get enough sleep. I can't stress that enough. Turn off the TV or computer an hour before lights-out, and wind down with a book. If the weather cooperates, leave the curtains or shutters open and allow yourself to wake up with the sun.

Volunteer. It offers a whole new perspective on life.

The short way of dealing with stuff comes in rhyme: Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2013, 02:50:10 PM »

Spend less than you make.
Be bold in face of the pains of love.
Repent. Love. Forgive.
Try not to sin too much. (This is a good one from Ostrov).

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2013, 04:00:01 PM »

Have financial planning every month and habbit of money saving

Not recommend to have too many, too risky or even any investment(s) in such poor economic condition.

Study, read, learn more and try to equipped ourselves better.

Don't bet .

Pray more and be with God all the time. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 04:17:37 PM by walter1234 » Logged
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2013, 05:47:00 PM »

Don't go to college Cheesy or if you do go to college, learn something that can immediately aid you in finding a job right after you graduate and doesn't require too many years.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Gayle

Faith: Orthodox christan
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2013, 03:23:55 PM »

You can use onions for burns,it really works.My grandmother did this to me when I was youg and I don't have a scar from it..it was mixed with tea leves as a cold compress.Now I use it all the time and at work.(I cook).
Adela
High Elder

« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2014, 01:50:03 PM »

This cookbook really helps.  Instead of following recipes, it teaches you basic techniques and that you can vary based on what's in your refrigerator or spice rack.   I think this cookbook helps learning frugal living since you can easily take advantage of what's on sale or in season or what you need to use up in your refrigerator, once you know how to make a few basic things.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/how-to-cook-without-a-book-pam-anderson/1103428544?ean=9780767902793
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2014, 01:53:59 PM »

Little furniture = less spider webs, stuff to clean and dust, and stuff to move. Plus it looks minimalist, which is sometimes synonymous with simple.

"No man gives the same exegesis twice: for he is not the same man, and it is not the same text." - St. Heraclitus
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2014, 05:04:47 PM »

Little furniture = less spider webs, stuff to clean and dust, and stuff to move. Plus it looks minimalist, which is sometimes synonymous with simple.

And if you dress up like a beatnik, minimalist furniture means you're cool.

Tags: frugality 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: