OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 11:57:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hardback or Leatherette?  (Read 823 times) Average Rating: 0
Acolyte

Faith: The One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Jurisdictionalism is sin.

« on: September 29, 2008, 07:45:25 PM »

Is it better for a book to be hardback or leatherette? Does one last longer than the other?
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 08:14:56 PM »

Depends on what you're using it for. Cheesy

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Acolyte

Faith: The One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Jurisdictionalism is sin.

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 10:49:53 PM »

What if it's a Bible?
LBK
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 04:51:10 AM »

A lot also depends on the quality of the binding of the pages themselves. The cover might last well, but if the binding and glue holding the pages together becomes brittle and falls apart, the cover ain't gonna do much to keep the book together.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 09:12:24 AM »

True; I have had several poor-quality hardcover whose binding has come loose and the entire cover came out. Oddly enough, I've had a few paperbacks who stood up to much use. So it does come down to the quality of the individual book

Typically, though (and I've owned several leather-bound books, not just Bibles but other literature as well), where the extra money for leather is going to pay off is in the corners. After much use, especially upright shelf storage, a hardcover will have rubbed-off corners, whereas the leather should remain intact. Leather-bound books also are much softer if you hold them open in your lap for long periods of time, though not as soft as a paperback.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 10:20:30 AM »

I have to agree with everyone here...it all comes down to the binding. Leather does feel better in my hands, though; it has a refreshing sense of permanence and antiquity that make reading a leather-bound book in a comfortable easy chair with a great coffee and a cuckoo clock in the background one of the wonderful pleasures of life.

Some hard-bound books that have like a cloth covering come close, but I still prefer a leather exterior. The leather even wears better; a slightly worn exterior where some of the lettering has faded from use and skin oil is an excellent testimony to the popularity of the volume in question.

But my favorite books are the wood-bound ones I've had! The aroma and 'book feel' is intoxicating...but is a by-gone era.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: