OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 05:45:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paul Newman Donates $120 Million to Charity  (Read 1217 times) Average Rating: 0
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« on: June 11, 2008, 02:41:08 PM »

Shocked  It seems Paul Newman donated a gigantic sum of money to his Newman's Own Foundation recently.  It's so nice to see celebrities give back to the community, local or worldwide.  I've been a great fan of Mr. Newman's brand of foods for a while now, especially knowing that the profits go to benefit education. 

Link to article

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 03:05:04 PM »

You found that on a "green gossip" site?  Wha?  How weird!

Back to the subject of the story: great for him.  It's nice to see celebs giving substantial amounts (Newman has money, but the full value of his ownership stake in his corporation is nothing to sneeze at - even for him it is a very substantial amount).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 07:01:34 PM »

^Odd, isn't it?  I have to thank Fark.com for finding it, though.  I love hearing these kinds of stories. Smiley

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 07:03:29 PM »

Very generous of spirit. Good one, Paul!

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 09:29:35 PM »

Since Newman's company gives millions to education each year, I have to say good move, Paul!

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
zoarthegleaner
Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 03:37:00 PM »

Almsgiving above all else requires money, but even this shines with a brighter luster when the alms are given from our poverty. The widow who paid in the two mites was poorer than any human, but she outdid them all.    St. John Chrysostom

When Julian the Apostate wanted to revive Paganism he instructed the Pagan Priests to begin collecting and giving alms to the poor inorder to direct them away from the Gospel of Christ. 

However, least some think my purpose is to trash Paul Newman I also add that our Lord said that even a cup of cold water given in a Prophet's name (not Kilbran) would receive a Prophets reward. 

Courteous is my name,
and I have always aimed to live up to it.
Grace is also my name,
but when things go wrong
its Courteous whom I blame;
but its Grace who sees me through it.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 07:48:06 PM »

Hey, give Paul Newman a break, folks. What has Paris Hilton contributed for the good of the world's poor and needy from her fat fortune? And it must be said that Mr Newman did not inherit his squillions.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 08:17:33 PM »

Hey, give Paul Newman a break, folks. What has Paris Hilton contributed for the good of the world's poor and needy from her fat fortune? And it must be said that Mr Newman did not inherit his squillions.

folks?

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 10:05:11 AM »

Followup: Paul Newman passed away over the weekend from an undisclosed cause, though it was well known that he had been battling cancer.  Memory eternal!  May his great causes go on.

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 10:34:02 AM »

Lord, have mercy. Memory eternal.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: