OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 08:08:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodoxy and Business- A few questions for a Business class...  (Read 689 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: September 28, 2008, 11:38:46 PM »

Hey y'all,

I need to answer 3 questions for a friend's business class and was hoping for some Orthodox insight on how to approach them.  You'll immediately understand that he attends a Protestant (Evangelical) university.  They are as follows:

1. To what extent should a person's faith and spiritual feelings impact their daily activities in the business world?

2. Since Christians are saved by faith, are works important?

3. Do you feel that being and Evangelical makes you different?

Thanks in advance!

Gabriel

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 10:48:10 AM »

If I were asked these questions, I would answer only 1 and 2, because I am not an evangelical Protestant and the Q.#3 thus does not apply.

1. To a very large extent. Actually, exactly because I am an Orthodox Christian, I would NOT ever engage in any professinal business transactions, make a career in business. The way business transactions are being conducted in the modern world is, in my understanding, deeply, outrageously anti-Christian. The sacred Scripture so clearly, so explicitly prohibits usury, i.e. lending money to your brother and asking this money back with interest (Exodus 22:25, Leviticus 25:35-36, Deuteronomy 23:20, 21, Ezekiel 18:7,8,13; Luke 6:35). In the New Testament, these old prohibitions are not abolished, like dietary restrictions are, but re-emphasized in that you should not ask interest, OR EVEN THE MONEY (or anything else) you gave to a person, to be returned back to you (Luke 6:35, Matthew 5:40-42). And of course we are not supposed to amass material wealth, which is what the goal of business transactions is - instead, we are called to rid ourselves of all property, "sell everything and give the money to the poor."

2. Faith without works is dead. So, yes, of course, absolutely everything you do is important for your salvation.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 10:49:49 AM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 11:22:04 AM »

You're absolutely right about Q3, brother.  I thought I would begin by answering Q3 first and explain that I'm not Protestant but Eastern Orthodox

Q1- You came up with some helpful insight.  The way I'm planning on answering the question is to focus on the fact that as Christians, I don't believe we're to compartmentalize our faith to just when we're at church but rather our faith serves as a filter in whatever we're doing.  When Christ said forgive 70 x 7, he didn't end with unless...  When we read about the Golden Rule, we don't see unless... So the way I understand the answer is: whatever your vocation is, our Christian faith is to serve as a filter or a rudder to help us navigate through the ethical situations.  Again though, the 'usury' issue you brought up was great!

Anyone else care to chime in?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 12:37:12 PM »

*Bump*

I need to answer these q's before 3pm Central.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: