OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 08:47:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did Anybody Else Here Miss Their High-School Graduation?  (Read 1121 times) Average Rating: 0
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2014, 11:19:09 PM »

My best friend and I got drunk and sat in the stands and watched our classmates receive their diplomas. I was technically kicked out of school on the last day of school because I was caught drinking in class. Every day during my senior year my friend and I would go off campus (which we were allowed to do) and buy a Big Gulp from the 7-11 and fill it half full with Jack Daniels. I drank those Big Gulp Jack and Cokes almost daily my entire senior year. Never got caught until the last day of school when this spastic kid knocked my Big Gulp over and the entire room reeked of whiskey. The principal told me that I would not receive my diploma unless I did a certain amount of hours of community service. I never did the community service, and I made it into college somehow or another.

Anyway, my reasons for missing my own graduation were much different than yours. I was certainly in no danger of receiving any awards. But I don't blame you. I still avoid certain social situations for some of the same reasons you mentioned. I don't like pressure and formal environments where I can't get up and leave if I want to. So I don't think you did anything wrong. If you had asked earlier I would have encouraged you to inform them ahead of time that you wouldn't be there so they wouldn't be worried about you. I'm sure they wanted to honor you and it would have been nice if you could have thanked them ahead of time and explained your reasons for not attending. But since I got drunk at my graduation, I really have no right to criticize any of your actions.

BTW, congrats on those awards! Seriously. That is pretty cool and you should be proud.   Smiley

Selam
I so wish we would have gone to school together...

We might not have survived.

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2014, 11:24:15 PM »

I went to my HS graduation and my English Departmental graduation for university. Skipped the college of Arts and science graduation, and I don't regret missing the talk about themselves for two hours. 

SCREW BON JOVI!
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2014, 11:26:21 PM »

Well it's official. My parents are extremely disappointed at me for missing it. I imagine that they will constantly bring this up until the day that they die?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2014, 11:27:47 PM »

Well it's official. My parents are extremely disappointed at me for missing it. I imagine that they will constantly bring this up until the day that they die?

A: yes
B: just make sure you go to your university graduation, and it'll make things a lot better

SCREW BON JOVI!
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2014, 11:30:06 PM »

A: yes
B: just make sure you go to your university graduation, and it'll make things a lot better

When I skipped mine (explained above), the agreement I made with family was that I would go to my university graduation and I did. Worked out fine enough.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2014, 11:40:53 PM »

Nah.  Certainly they'll bring it up for a while, a few years or so, but eventually they'll move on. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2014, 11:43:07 PM »

I skipped prom my Jr year so I could go to work and make money.  My parents still bring it up on occasion.  I went my Sr. year and thought it was stupid. I should have skipped it that year too.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2014, 11:47:38 PM »

Don't worry about it. You had good reasons for not going. If you base your life decisions on pleasing others you will go crazy. Just try to be respectful and let people know ahead of time that you won't be able to attend such various social functions. If you feel comfortable explaining why, then do so. If you don't feel comfortable explaining why then simply tell them it's due to private and personal reasons. If they still try to pressure you or give you a guilt trip about it, then pay no heed. It's their problem at that point, not yours.

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2014, 11:55:02 AM »

Graduation? Whazzat? We were in the middle of studying for university entry exams, it was all we could do to drop by the school and pick up our report cards!

No proms either. We organised two discos in local clubs earlier in the year, in order to raise money for our five-day trip. We went in gaggles of friends, dress code was 'dressed up jeans' and parents picked us in the small hours of the night. Much fun was had by all.

Generally, that whole culture of prom and graduation ceremony, as far as we were concerned, was a Hollywood invention.

University was a different deal, though. That was not a graduation but a swearing-in. No attendance, no degree, even though said degree was collected later from the faculty office, not on the day itself.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2014, 11:57:31 AM »

You don't have prom or graduation?!? What sort of barbaric culture do you hail from?  Tongue

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2014, 11:59:26 AM »

I missed both prom and my graduation because I went to college a year early.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 11:59:51 AM by rakovsky » Logged
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2014, 12:09:11 PM »

You don't have prom or graduation?!? What sort of barbaric culture do you hail from?  Tongue

The sort that keeps universities free. Wink

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Aram

Faith: Armenian Church

« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2014, 12:14:10 PM »

Think about it this way:

It sounds like your principal, teachers, etc. wanted to recognize you for things you've done. They went out of their way to nominate and vote for you for awards and honors over your peers. What does it look like to them when you say "Well, no, I don't want to go"? What does it say about how you feel about them and the trust and faith they put in you? What does it say to the people assembled when the kid who was supposed to get all this stuff decided to stay home? It's not like you had anything better to do--sometimes you just have to suck it up and do things you don't think you want to do.

I realize you have a lot of issues that cause you to make this decision, but it still has the potential to come off as extraordinarily selfish and short-sighted. You may not care what others think about you, but cumulatively, these things tend to come back to bite you. Life isn't all about you and your comfort, and that's something you learn when you get a little older and gain a bit of perspective about such things.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2014, 01:13:50 PM »

I hope this is a joke.

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2014, 01:25:03 PM »

Not sure if joking or England is just an alien world...  angel

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2014, 01:27:49 PM »

Greece, dear. My experience with the British educational system is (so far) only through being the spouse of a teacher and the mother of a student. Smiley

Although, even here, fees can be considered unrealistic by those who are used to American equivalents...

DeniseDenise
Warned
Archon

« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2014, 01:28:16 PM »

England is an alien world....

but I have heard from friends that it isn't 'all that free' anymore like it used to be.....
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2014, 01:31:15 PM »

but I have heard from friends that it isn't 'all that free' anymore like it used to be.....

But I can still get a BA in Theology, with Met. Ware as a tutor, for under £4K... angel

DeniseDenise
Warned
Archon

« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2014, 01:33:02 PM »

But I can still get a BA in Theology, with Met. Ware as a tutor, for under £4K... angel

oh I know...and I wasn't comparing it to US pricing...just saying it isn't a -zero- money thing anymore.

I like to think I helped fund several other MSc students, since I paid the crazy International Fees when i was over there..... laugh
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2014, 01:36:34 PM »

oh I know...and I wasn't comparing it to US pricing...just saying it isn't a -zero- money thing anymore.

I like to think I helped fund several other MSc students, since I paid the crazy International Fees when i was over there..... laugh

Until a couple of years ago, university fees could not exceed £3K a year. When that limit was lifted, the prices nearly tripled overnight. I wouldn't want to be trying to get a place now.

The Greek system, on the other hand, is entirely free, textbooks included, but understandably makes it impossible for international students to take advantage of it.

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2014, 01:36:42 PM »

The noble Joseph, fleeing from the snares of the Egyptian woman.

That sums up Mor Ephrem's prom experience....   Tongue

ROTFL  (devil driven smiley coming...)   Cheesy
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2014, 01:39:16 PM »

I never attended any of my proms either, mostly because I'm socially awkward and no female would want to go with me. Also because I didn't have a car at the time and I was too cheap to pay a limousine or taxi. I didn't want to do the unthinkably embarrassing thing of having my parents take us.
Same here. Plus, my spiritual father didn't approve of any of us going. And I know exactly what happens after prom, and those... "activities" aren't exactly my cup of tea.

Things have really changed since I graduated last century from high school.

Did you have an event at the church? Some Orthodox Churches have a special night for high school graduates. In some cases, it becomes a parish event, so shy youngsters will feel welcomed.

I graduated so long ago, that my father actually gave an invocation. Yes they still had those at public high schools back then.

The sky neither fell nor did the heavens part nor do I remember a word of what he said. 
(although we had to move into the stifling gym from outside due to thunderstorms...)
DeniseDenise
Warned
Archon

« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2014, 01:39:35 PM »

Until a couple of years ago, university fees could not exceed £3K a year. When that limit was lifted, the prices nearly tripled overnight. I wouldn't want to be trying to get a place now.

The Greek system, on the other hand, is entirely free, textbooks included, but understandably makes it impossible for international students to take advantage of it.

and unless its changed....Scotland is still free for Scottish and EU students.....but not other UK students...

Even with the probably quadruple fees as an international student....my MSc was -still- cheaper than a masters over here would have been in 2003.....and it provides all sorts of 'interview question' fodder about how 'interesting i must be'

laugh
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2014, 02:53:15 PM »

I never attended any of my proms either, mostly because I'm socially awkward and no female would want to go with me. Also because I didn't have a car at the time and I was too cheap to pay a limousine or taxi. I didn't want to do the unthinkably embarrassing thing of having my parents take us.
Same here. Plus, my spiritual father didn't approve of any of us going. And I know exactly what happens after prom, and those... "activities" aren't exactly my cup of tea.

Again. I'm homeschooled. That means that I also didn't get a prom, so don't feel bad.

I'm thinking of staging a graduation ceremony in front of stuffed animals. Don't really know if I should attend. Their big shiny eyes creep me out enough already.
Cheesy
I think you should have a prom with the stuffed animals.  I'm pretty sure one of them will accept.  If not, you could always threaten them that you will take them to Salvation Army.

Barbie declined me.
P.S. I DO NOT OWN A BARBIE DOLL. lol

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
DeniseDenise
Warned
Archon

« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2014, 02:54:24 PM »

Again. I'm homeschooled. That means that I also didn't get a prom, so don't feel bad.

I'm thinking of staging a graduation ceremony in front of stuffed animals. Don't really know if I should attend. Their big shiny eyes creep me out enough already.
Cheesy
I think you should have a prom with the stuffed animals.  I'm pretty sure one of them will accept.  If not, you could always threaten them that you will take them to Salvation Army.

Barbie declined me.

its always the blonds..... laugh
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2014, 03:02:10 PM »

I was speaking about the comment that not having peripheral stuff like dances and graduation ceremonies was part of why there could be free education.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2014, 03:17:46 PM »

Cheesy

Barbie declined me.
Oh dear. Classic high school drama.  Next time, you can't shoot for the stars.  Go for one of the American Girls dolls.  They are not near as stuck up as Barbie.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2014, 05:04:40 PM »

and unless its changed....Scotland is still free for Scottish and EU students.....but not other UK students...

Interesting. I was considering going to St. Andrews for a year in 2016. Free is always good.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 05:10:08 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Samuel Coleridge
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2014, 03:42:00 AM »

I don't see why to skip a graduation unless it is a graduation of 20 people... mine there were hundreds so how is it socially awkward or whatever? You are just another graduate.

Anyway, you wont miss anything. I may as well have missed it, I don't remember anything from it.

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2014, 04:20:12 AM »

Interesting. I was considering going to St. Andrews for a year in 2016. Free is always good.

If the upcoming referendum rules in favour of independence, that will change real fast.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2014, 04:21:53 AM »

If the upcoming referendum rules in favour of independence, that will change real fast.

Probably. The Scots will be dead broke within notime after declaring independence.

-Samuel Coleridge
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2014, 08:36:08 AM »

Fixed. Try a direct link next time.~A Wink
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 08:59:54 AM by Arachne » Logged

Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2014, 05:25:21 PM »

Worked at the Junior Prom as a Sophomore.  Met the most beautiful girl that I had ever known while working there and asked her out.  We went on a date that next weekend.  The next day she was removed from her home and put into foster care in another town and I never saw her again.  Got turned down by 21 different girls for my Junior prom.  Did not attend.  Was bribed by my mom and sister to take one of my sister's friends (who did not get asked) to the prom when I was a Senior, so I went to that one.  Attended my graduation from HS.  Did not attend my graduation from Tech School.  Got so smashed at the "last day" ceremony at the airport (the school was located at an airport) that I tried to catch landing planes on the runway.  Was tackled and carried off by some classmates who didn't want to see what happens when a rivited beer can (Cessna) hits a 250# dumbass.  Never drank that much again . . . well, I did once before.  That was the night that I proposed to my wife (via telephone as she lived 80 miles away) and she accepted.  I woke up the next morning with my room mate staring at me.  I asked what was going on and he just said, "I thought you were dead".  I learned my lesson after the runway incident.  I do not regret the proposal since I was sober at the time of the proposal, and it was the best decision that I have made in my life.  I think my wife is sometimes unsure whether it was the best decision that she made in her life . . .

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2014, 05:34:17 PM »

Got turned down by 21 different girls for my Junior prom.

You're a stubborn fellow, Punch. I'd have stopped trying after being turned down 2-3 times.

Was tackled and carried off by some classmates who didn't want to see what happens when a rivited beer can (Cessna) hits a 250# dumbass.  Never drank that much again . . . well, I did once before.  That was the night that I proposed to my wife (via telephone as she lived 80 miles away) and she accepted.  I woke up the next morning with my room mate staring at me.  I asked what was going on and he just said, "I thought you were dead".  I learned my lesson after the runway incident.  I do not regret the proposal since I was sober at the time of the proposal, and it was the best decision that I have made in my life.  I think my wife is sometimes unsure whether it was the best decision that she made in her life . . .

Awesome.

-Samuel Coleridge
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2014, 07:31:11 PM »

These ceremonies are not necessarily for us only. They are also for all of those supported us and cared about us.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
wainscottbl
By the grace of God, King of the South, Grand Duke of Louisville, Bardstown, Lexington and all the Kentuckys, Prince of Alaska, East Ukraine, Crimea and Wallachia
Moderated
OC.net guru

Faith: One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

Ice cream for sale! 14 and under only, please!

« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2014, 08:42:02 PM »

Yeah, I went to mine. Not much to it and I wish I did not go, but I went for my family. Everything, I do, I do for my family, just like Walter White. Haha  Smiley I was more excited about my baptism into the Catholic Church that March than the stupid graduation. Maybe if I did not slack off and graduated with honours it would have been worth it--to please my vanity. To graduate top of the class would not have mattered so much that I got to got to wear some more stuff but that I was better than the rest. I feel that with such brains I wasted myself in school and disappointed my family, but hey I was there. I wish you would have went for your family, as much trouble as they give you, especially your mom. And I think it would have meant something to those teachers who wanted to award you. There are not many teachers that love you, and I mean love in in the noble way. You should appreciate when a teacher admires you and try to show gratitude to the good ones. The ones that really care about educating, even if it's just the lousy public education system and they are part of the brainwashing. They usually have great hearts.

But I understand why you did not go.. I am especially shy, too, and going there without anything to glorify myself it only made me feel more alone and not properly appreciated. But it meant something to my family. Just thank God you are out of high school. It never meant much to me and I doubt it did to you or you would have went. Four years that people worry so much about when the real part of life is ahead of them. You should have went, forgive me, to show them that you are better than the rest. But that's the Napoleon streak in me talking.
wainscottbl
By the grace of God, King of the South, Grand Duke of Louisville, Bardstown, Lexington and all the Kentuckys, Prince of Alaska, East Ukraine, Crimea and Wallachia
Moderated
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2014, 08:43:38 PM »

Now we must show everybody through our greatness which we offer posterity, JamesR.  angel
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2014, 12:12:09 PM »

yes, i think it's only in usa (ok maybe canada too) that 18 year olds are forced to get a 'date' in order to go to a social event. i really don't think that is healthy at all.
in the free world, people are allowed to go to social events on their own.

in the uk there is no high school 'graduation' (we only use that term for post graduate diplomas, university degrees etc).

but i think if someone does not want to go, they should not be forced to go.
i mean, you are forced to attend school all your life, and if you don't like it, why have social pressure to go back for one more time when you are still celebrating your escape?
(i had BIG social problems at school)
i left school after the age 16 exams (it is allowed in my country) and i still remember the last day, counting down the minutes as we sat on a hard floor, listening to the headmaster say something for an hour (i have no idea what he said, i was a fairly good student usually, but i knew nothing would happen if i ignored him for once!)
i went on to further education in a college that accepted young adults (16-18) plus older people who were resitting exams or doing diplomas.

i would have gone to the last day there (not really a full ceremony) as i really loved the teaching and the people there (finally had friends who did not laugh at me), but i was too busy at university (the celebration event was already at the start of the next year).
however i missed my university graduation as i was meeting my father in law for the first time in romania (long story) but i was glad for an excuse to be honest.

i didn't bother with any work related postgraduate ceremonies after that, as i don't really like having big crowds of people look at me. also you are supposed to hire the ugly black gown (there is truly nothing available that really fits small people despite what the larger people insist about 'one size fits all') which is really expensive, and then you have to go and eat somewhere really expensive, and it's all just too much hard work.

so, don't worry about missing graduations. there are more important things in life, like finding God, being a good friend to people and personally thanking those teachers who have made a difference in your life.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2014, 12:20:23 PM »

I disagree. I'm somewhat shy myself and I regret that besides missing various social opportunities at school I have to deal with it anyway now that I'm older. These kind of compulsory social incidents at school might save kids a lot of trouble.

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2014, 12:35:25 PM »

yes, i think it's only in usa (ok maybe canada too) that 18 year olds are forced to get a 'date' in order to go to a social event. i really don't think that is healthy at all.
in the free world, people are allowed to go to social events on their own.

My first year here, my husband's year 12's decided to have a prom. I don't know if that school had, or was trying to build, such a tradition (none of the others he's worked before or since did it), but all the event convinced me about is that 16-year-olds can't carry evening wear to save their lives and that fake tan looks absolutely hideous.

wainscottbl
Moderated
OC.net guru

« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2014, 03:49:43 PM »

I disagree. I'm somewhat shy myself and I regret that besides missing various social opportunities at school I have to deal with it anyway now that I'm older. These kind of compulsory social incidents at school might save kids a lot of trouble.

Yeah, same here to a degree. I was a loner in high school. Part of it was not my fault--it's hard having Aspergers, something i think the OP has. It's really hard. Most people are too superficial and stupid to understand Aspergers are different in high school. But I wish I was not such an emo. I could have fit in the the cool kids even. I could have played soccer or football or some sport. I am pretty good. My problem was being shy and uncomfident. And I too a certain pride in being the nerd that wasn't cool. I would have gotten into wwearing black if I was not Mormon I am sure. In my senior year in French class I think I broke a nice looking skater girl's heart because I did not show affection to her. It was not because I did not like her but because I was afraid. I was confused and socially awkward. I wish I had known what I know now by so much experience Those with Aspergers have it so hard and it does not help I was a Mormon. But I chose in a sense to be a loner, and proudly so. Better than those preps, you know, even though one of my truest friends was a prep. A cheerleader. Free of any of that so called pride or vanity. And many of her friends were nice enough. I just convinced myself they were all stuck up and I was some lone walking virtue because I was, well, jealous.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2014, 05:52:59 PM »

I didn't earn a high school diploma, I earned a GED when I was 16 or so.

I did actually attend a graduation ceremony for earning my GED though. It was really strange, all the other people knew each other. I didn't know anyone. I didn't particularly want to go to the ceremony, but I didn't have a choice in the matter either. I think graduation ceremonies are often more for the parents than the children.

Apparently, it is abnormal to just go straight from 9th grade to passing the GED test. All the other people took months of classes together in order to pass the GED test. I didn't attend any classes with anyone. I took the practice tests, and passed all but the math. I had a couple weeks of math tutoring a couple times a week, and then passed the math portion of practice tests. The amount of tutoring that I needed didn't require taking a class, so they didn't make me take one. About a month later I took the GED test and scored in like the 99th percentile or something (I have the card in my wallet I think).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 06:00:31 PM by Quinault » Logged
RehamG
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2014, 06:54:19 PM »

I missed mine purposely.

The same girls who made my life hell for 4 years were also the organizers of the event, and for a few days I though of going just to have it out with the ring leader. Then sense kicked in. Basically I valued my freedom so I skipped it.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 06:54:43 PM by RehamG » Logged

"A humble man who lives a spiritual life, when he reads the Holy Scriptures, will relate all things to himself and not to others.”

– St. Mark the Ascetic, Sermon, 1.6
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2014, 07:45:43 PM »

I graduated yesterday. So I guess that's it then. High school's over. I'm never going to see 90+% of the people I said "see you later" to ever again.

Lord Jesus Christ, thank you for getting me through this chapter in my life. I ask you to strengthen me by your grace, so that I can complete the next, according to your ordinances and precepts.

Most Holy Theotokos, pray for us all.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 07:46:30 PM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2014, 01:59:36 AM »

I'm never going to see 90+% of the people I said "see you later" to ever again.

That would have been optimistic for me.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: