OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 03:08:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Laugh or cry...maybe both  (Read 6298 times) Average Rating: 0
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« on: September 26, 2008, 10:11:46 PM »

So I have been trying to get some home repair work done while my husband is gone. So I have been getting quotes for repairing our little deck off the livingroom. I unlock the deck then get the door when the handyman comes to give me a quote. We go out onto the deck and the kids follow. As I am trying to get back into the house I realize that the door is LOCKED!!!!! This is a second floor deck with no access to the ground floor. And it is about 10 feet by ten feet square. I notice that my son is only wearing a DIAPER and nothing else, I have no shoes, my eldest has no shoes and I don't have my keys or a cell.

Fortunately the handyman does have his cell. I call 411 for a locksmith and they connect me with a disconnected number! I call my husband on his cell (he is in Colorado) and he gives me another number to a locksmith that isn't answering. The handyman calls a friend to try the front door, it is locked. His friend is laughing the entire time he is here.

(Meanwhile my kids are laughing, giggling and dancing. Ollie my 1 year old in the diaper is climbing everything in an atttempt to stand on the railings. And it starts to RAIN while we are on the deck and it is in the upper 50's).

Finally the handyman has his dispatcher call for a locksmith. So then about 45min later the guy arrives. And then he has to drill thru my deadbolt to get into my house, walk up my stairs and open the door to my deck so I can get inside. We ended up trapped outside for about an hour and a half. I ended up paying almost $400 for the lock drilling, re-keying the lock etc. And right as I walk up the stairs afterward I find doggie "treats"  Roll Eyes  on my stairs.

Then I have to go pay about $1000 to get my car back from the shop because my parking brake was inoperable, my rar brakes were nearly gone, the I-link had to be replaced, I had a failed seal on a front axle and my transmission needed to be flushed ASAP. I went in for a $50 oil change and ended up with a $1000 repair. Our driveway is about a 35-45 degree angle, so I have to have that parking brake.

It is sort of funny. But most of me just wanted to scream. Maybe in about 5 years this will be hilarious....right? Undecided
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 10:27:44 PM by Quinault » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 10:16:25 PM »

Oh, and my neighbors (I really only have one house next to mine) don't speak english and I live next to the freeway so I couldn't yell for help. So no one would have been around to help if the handyman hadn't been there with his cell. If we had been alone I would have had to find a way to break my glass door.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 10:28:59 PM by Quinault » Logged
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 10:30:32 PM »

I think you win today's Horrible Day award! 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 11:23:22 PM »

Well...if our government DOES decide to tax the rich, you won't be in the headlights..... Wink

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 12:19:06 AM »

I locked myself out from a new house 3 times in a 2 week span, cost me $65 each time to have a new key made.  All you needed was a new key to get back into your house, not major surgery.   Cry

Cars do require regular maintenance, as expensive as it can be.  Thankfully, you probably don't have a BMW since those cars will burn a hole in one's wallet.  I had a then 12 year old BMW with 200+ thousand miles.  Today, I have a Honda.   Grin

Seattle metro area has become the new Silicon Valley, ouch.

You'll laugh about it soon enough since worst things have happened to other people....   Wink

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 12:33:19 AM »

Oh, and my neighbors (I really only have one house next to mine) don't speak english and I live next to the freeway so I couldn't yell for help. So no one would have been around to help if the handyman hadn't been there with his cell. If we had been alone I would have had to find a way to break my glass door.

Last year, I locked my best friend and I out of a cabin in the Colorado Rockies when I slammed the door shut with the keys inside.  My friend broke the window with a tire jack to regain entry.  The cabin belonged to my friend's department chair at the Medical School where he teaches.   Huh  I offered to pay for damages; My friend told me to forget about it and I still feel terrible about the accident.   Cry
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 12:48:07 AM »

I'd cry, $400 dollars to open your door?  That's a rip-off and a half.  I'd find a new repairman on top of it for allowing his "Friend" to charge you $400 dollars to simply open a door.  Oh and since the back deck is second story what about keep a key hidden out there so you don't get stuck again?  Somewhere the kids won't find it.... maybe two of them?  Smiley  Smile like Alice Cooper on his radio show tonight said 'it could be worse, you could be hitch-hiking across Afghanistan in the middle of the night." 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 12:50:04 AM by username! » Logged

Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 12:54:42 AM »

I didn't have a phone, the handyman's boss called the locksmith. The numbers I tried didn't work. The locksmith couldn't make a new key, the only way to get into my house was to drill the deadbolt and pick the doorknob lock. And then I had to either have him replace the deadbolt on the spot or take it out of the door to the local Home Depot for re-coring/keying the deadbolt.

It is slightly funny today. If my husband was in the same state as me, it hadn't rained and my son was clothed this would have been much funnier.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 12:59:29 AM »

it probably does cost 5 times as much to live in your neck of the woods as it does here.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 12:59:39 AM by username! » Logged

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 12:59:38 AM »

Maybe in about 5 years this will be hilarious....right? Undecided

It could very well be, but not today and not for a while.  You have my sympathy and while the image of your youngest climbing about to get on the railing and all the kids laughing and dancing (which is better then everyone complaining  Wink ) can be humourous, I'm sure it wasn't at the time.  But maybe when the kids are older, or adults there can be the old family story of "how we all got locked out on the deck... and THEN it started to rain!"

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2008, 01:03:35 AM »

The locksmith couldn't make a new key,

Locksmith was an amateur - any competent locksmith can make a deadbolt key - the blanks are there and all he had to do was figure out the proper cuts.

the only way to get into my house was to drill the deadbolt and pick the doorknob lock. And then I had to either have him replace the deadbolt on the spot or take it out of the door to the local Home Depot for re-coring/keying the deadbolt.

It is slightly funny today. If my husband was in the same state as me, it hadn't rained and my son was clothed this would have been much funnier.

If there is a Next time, try "Puedo pido prestados sus Yellow Pages" and "¿Puedo utilizar su teléfono?" to your Spanish neighbors.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 01:05:28 AM »

The locksmith couldn't make a new key,

Locksmith was an amateur - any competent locksmith can make a deadbolt key - the blanks are there and all he had to do was figure out the proper cuts.

Ever hear the term "laughing all the way to the bank?"

Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 01:18:56 AM »

Neighbors are immigrants from Korea I believe, they are fearful of everyone. I think that they are likely illegal. In any case the noise from I-5 is so loud they wouldn't be able to hear me with a megaphone let alone without one.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 01:20:22 AM by Quinault » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2008, 01:19:58 AM »

Locksmith was an immigrant Isreali.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2008, 01:26:27 AM »

Where were you when I was stuck on the deack yesterday!  laugh Too bad I didn't have internet access to know about the new key thing Cheesy Although if I had internet access at the time that would have meant I wasn't outdoors. Oh well, you live you learn, you lose copious amounts of money.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 01:27:22 AM by Quinault » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2008, 01:29:10 AM »

Locksmith was an immigrant Isreali.

I had one charge me $100 to install surround sound speakers at my ex's apartment.  He was a decent guy although I kept a sharp eye on him. 

I also used Mr. Handyman to install a hanging swing - charged me $85.  They have plenty of affiliates in the Seattle metro area.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2008, 01:30:10 AM »

That is who was giving me the quote.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2008, 01:31:29 AM »

Neighbors are immigrants from Korea I believe, they are fearful of everyone. I think that they are likely illegal. In any case the noise from I-5 is so loud they wouldn't be able to hear me with a megaphone let alone without one.

Nobody speaks English in Seattle metro area these days and none of your neighbors are native born US Citizens. 
No Microsoft employees live in your part of the world?
Lord, Have Mercy.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2008, 01:32:21 AM »

That is who was giving me the quote.

I would complain to their headquarters, FWIW.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2008, 01:34:00 AM »

Where were you when I was stuck on the deack yesterday!  laugh Too bad I didn't have internet access to know about the new key thing Cheesy Although if I had internet access at the time that would have meant I wasn't outdoors. Oh well, you live you learn, you lose copious amounts of money.

I wouldn't have been of much help; I don't have a cell phone and I know how to break a window or maybe undo a open screen on a single story window.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2008, 07:00:09 AM »

If there is a Next time, try "Puedo pido prestados sus Yellow Pages" and "¿Puedo utilizar su teléfono?" to your Spanish neighbors.
She never said they were Spaniards, or even spoke Spanish.

Also, "usar" is a better word than "utilizar." It's "use" rather than "utilize." "Utilize" is used by people who believe all Latin-derived words sound more intelligent than Germanic words. Occam's Linguistic Razor states that all other things being equal, the simplest word is often the best.

She also mentioned it was a second-floor deck with no stairs to the ground. You can't exactly ask the neighbours for anything if you can't get to their house.

But you know what they say about assuming....

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2008, 02:13:58 PM »

Nobody speaks English in Seattle metro area these days and none of your neighbors are native born US Citizens. 
No Microsoft employees live in your part of the world?
Lord, Have Mercy.

Microsoft employees live in or near the Redmond hermitage for the most part. And most are single people without lives, so if one was my neighbor it is likely they wouldn't be home until today, and this happened thursday. To make a distinction; Microsoft employees are mostly single. Microsoft temps on rotating 1-2 year contracts are often married.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 02:15:10 PM by Quinault » Logged
Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2008, 05:19:46 PM »

Hubby and I have locked ourselves out before, too.  We had to go to the nearest Shopko and use a pay phone.  Nowadays I always ask DH if he has his keys before locking the door!

Maybe eventually it will be a funny memory.  Hard to say.  It's still not funny to think of one of my worst days, when I was home alone after plumber hours and the toilet started spewing sewage all over the floor.  When I found an emergency plumber, I had to wait some time for him to get there.   Tongue

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: