OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 04:17:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The thread about Beer  (Read 2751 times) Average Rating: 0
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« on: September 26, 2008, 12:19:42 AM »

So let's discuss beer. What type do you like? Do you brew your beer?  Canned or bottle?

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 12:41:32 AM »

I hate beer.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
ironsiderodger

Faith: Interesting question...
Jurisdiction: n/a

St Eudocia- still in progress.

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 08:34:01 AM »

I can't abide any beer that looks like the only purpose it serves is to get you hammered quickly while being lite on calories, thus my favs are Yuengling (a local PA brewery) it makes a kickin Black and Tan and Lager; Guiness Draft; and when there's nothing else Sam Adams... or water.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 08:45:10 AM »

Yuppers, Yuengling Lager (draft) for me as well.

Followed by (at a good distance back) Iron City, "The official beer of the Pittsburgh nation" - it's a 'Burgh thing.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 09:02:53 AM »

My very favourite is Newcastle Brown Ale. Perfect medium body, filling but not heavy, and the taste is terrific.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 09:54:46 AM »

Newcastle Brown Ale is excellent, as well as Samuel Smith's.

When I brewed my own beer, my 'standard' was a brown ale similar to these, meaning on average over half of my stock consisted as a mild brown.

However, I would like to experiment, too! I always has a stout or porter on hand for those rare occasions when I would want a good piece of beef or a sausage.

Besides British beers, I'd also brew Belgian influenced beers. One of the favorites of my friends used a carmel malt base (yes, I'd crush my own grain for maximum freshness) plus juice from cherries. It was moderately hopped as well. The combination of the cherry juice provided a refreshing dryness and bouquet that was marvelous! I had a case or two of clear bottles that I would reserve just for that recipe, and store the bottles in the midst of my cellar for the needed darkness. However, the brew itself was so pretty I'd set it out for friends to look at the sparkling ruby tones.

I could brew according to the Rheinheitsgebot, as I admire the quality standard, but that also restricted experimentation. Usually my golden beers would be to a German or Czech recipe (the Czechs are highly underrated in their beers, btw!)

I also made meads and metheglins, but they were very time consuming!

My beer stuff is somewhere in a bunch of boxes in my garage...I just don't have time to get them out.  Sad  Homebrewing is a great hobby, and if I ever get the time I do mean to start attending a home brew society if I can find one here.

Besides the English types described earlier, my favorite domestic beers are Leinenkugel's (if you can get that here in the South). I do like Sam Adam's, but sometimes the Halletauer hops are a bit too brisk for my palate, and I have to be careful. Yuengling's does have a decent black and tan, but I prefer to make my own beers and mix it myself, since I used to tend bar.

And, if I'm looking at an imported beer, the one I drink at my local Irish pub here is Harp's. Tsing Tao is another excellent brew, and a special treat for me when in Chinese restaurants, as well as during the times I can't find Harp and want a non-brown brew!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 09:56:15 AM by FrChris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
jayjay

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 10:03:27 AM »

Having travelled around the world twice, the BEST beer I have tasted is Boags Draught - a Tasmanian beer. Brewed with pure spring water!! Once I tasted it - MMMMMMMMMMM!!!!! Cannot stomach any other beers-though whilst in Germany I tried a home made stout from a local pub I drank at - it was MAGNIFICENT!! As for home brews, a brand called Black Rock, a New Zealand beer, a lovely syrup brew for home brews - try the stout with a pkt of dark malt, brown sugar, a jar of honey,and a stick of licorice!!
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 11:20:12 AM »

Shiner, being a local Texan brew, has pretty much exploded all over this country.  The bock is by far my favorite, though the blonde was a lighter brew my dad introduced me to.

Shiner also has commemorative brews every year; their '97 brew was a bohemian black lager that goes down VERY smoothly, without a lot of the hoppy taste (to the point of bitterness) in most black beers.

Of course, when I go to the Irish pub in Tulsa that I like, a Guiness goes well with the bangers.  Fat Tire and  is a very nice, light ale.  And, while Newcastle is a good ale, I prefer Belhaven.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 11:24:27 AM »

Lately, I've been on an Oktoberfest kick (natch) and Sam Adams Oktoberfest does the trick for me.  It's readily available and is an excellent example of the style.  I normally don't like Sam Adams, but this beer I do.

My drink of choice is porter and, IMHO, nothing beats Fuller's London.  Closer to home, I'm a fan of Wild Goose Porter made in nearby Frederick, MD. 

In a pinch, Yuengling Lager is my go-to beer for something on the cheap.  Considering at my local beer/wine store, a six pack of Yuengling is just $0.50 more than a six pack of Miller Lite and at least $1.50 less than most everything else, I've grown to enjoy it.  It certainly a good, local brew from a venerable local brewery.

My "treat" beer is Fahrquar House Ale and it certainly is coming up to that time of the year to enjoy a few treats.  I love cold weather if only because I like dark, malty ales.

Of course, nothing beats my own homebrewed porter, which began life as a clone of Fuller's London Porter but has been tweaked over the past five years into my own.  Sadly, I haven't brewed it lately.  I do, however, have two bottles of the original clone sitting in my fridge.  I was actually brewing it the very first time I ever spoke with my wife on the phone.  I'm a bit sentimental and I don't want to open them up Smiley 

My last brew was a Maerzen for our annual Halloween party last year that went over very well.  It was my first lager and I was pleasantly surprised how well it turned out considering my lagering chamber was an old crabbing pot filled with ice water with a wet t-shirt thrown over the carboy to help keep it cool. 

We're looking into buying a house soon and I can't wait to move out so I'll have the space to brew more often.  Homebrewing in a galley kitchen in a 1 br apartment is quite a pain in the posterior.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 11:25:28 AM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
JAWS_Thomas

Jurisdiction: OCA-DOW

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 11:33:14 AM »

Beer in my household is kind of a struggle. My wife and I have discovered that even when we share a common interest we like completely different things within that interest. Beers are no exception. Because of that we will commonly have Corona around the house for her and some Guinness Extra Stout or a Red Ale for me.

If I've been really good and gotten lucky there will be some Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout.

"If you're an alien why do you sound like you're from the North?"
"Lots of planets have a north."

-Rose Tyler asking Doctor Who about his accent
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

lolcat addict

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 01:58:28 PM »

I'll have whatever Mr. Y is having.  I generally like the beers he likes, though I'm not as keen on the darker beers as he is.  Boulevard (I believe) makes a good cherry wheat ale and I'm also a fan of Singha from Thailand.  I also like Foster's (*ducks from "real beer" enthusiasts).

Also, bottle or tap only... cans add a weird tinny flavour.

I would love to start brewing our own if we had any kitchen space or a basement.  We barely have room for a table in the kitchen, let alone brewing equipment. 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 02:00:00 PM by EofK » Logged

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Bishop Paul Andrew

Jurisdiction: American Orthodox Catholic Church/ Holy Synod of North and South America.

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 02:23:04 PM »

My Favorit beers are conorna.miller and Russian Beer an no I don't know the names of the Russian Beer
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 02:39:02 PM »

On the rare occasions that I drink beer, I stick with Heineken.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 02:51:47 PM »

About the only beers I WON'T drink are the fuzzy colored p*** waters produced by the major breweries, Tongue although I can tolerate Pabst Blue Ribbon.  For the most part, I drink only microbrews, but within that limitation my tastes are pretty broad.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 05:43:45 PM »

My Favorit beers are conorna.miller and Russian Beer an no I don't know the names of the Russian Beer

Zhiguli?

Love never fails.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 05:57:19 PM »

My favorites are Ukrainian beers - Obolon' (esp. " Obolon' Oksamytove," or "Velvet Obolon'"), Rohan', L'vivs'ke, Chernihivs'ke, and a number of others, all very good. I am not sure whether they are exported anywhere from Ukraine. If you guys ever travel to Ukraine, treat yourself - it will be quite an experience!

I also like Czech beers, especially Prazdroj, which is sold in the U.S. under the name "Pilsner Urquell." "Staropramen" is very good, too.

At times (not always), I like hearty, robust ales from the Pacific Northwest of the USA - "Ballard Bitter IPA," "Red Hook," - or from the Northeast. Sam Adams Boston Ale is OK as well.

In the part of the US where I live (east-central Mississippi), decent local beers are Abita (from Louisiana), and Dark Hazel (our local Miss. beer).

I have to say, however, that I am not really a "beer guy." I prefer wine to beer. (More alcohol per ounce, and less hazardous for your waist, too. Smiley )

(P.S. I thought we had this thread not so long ago, no? Not that I mind... Smiley )
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 05:57:57 PM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 06:22:48 PM »

About the only beers I WON'T drink are the fuzzy colored p*** waters produced by the major breweries, Tongue
Agreed.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 07:26:48 PM »

In no particular order;

Youngs Double Chocolate Stout, Youngs Oatmeal Stout, Sam Adams Cream Stout, Heineken, Newcastle Brown, Paulaner's Hefeweizen, Smithwicks, and of course- Guiness.

Bottled or in a glass but never, ever from a can.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Bishop Paul Andrew

Jurisdiction: American Orthodox Catholic Church/ Holy Synod of North and South America.

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 07:46:13 PM »

In no particular order;

Youngs Double Chocolate Stout, Youngs Oatmeal Stout, Sam Adams Cream Stout, Heineken, Newcastle Brown, Paulaner's Hefeweizen, Smithwicks, and of course- Guiness.

I'll agree to that no can beer,cans take a way the good Taste of beer.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 07:49:10 PM »

I'm not at all a beer-drinker, but I am bizarrely loyal to the Ukrainian brands Heorhij listed, not because I've ever tried them, but because they are Ukrainian and therefore, have pleasant, happy associations for me... Smiley

I think it is not a beer, but an ale, but one of my brothers introduced me to something called "Speckled Hen" (I think). Anyhow, it's been a few years now since I tried it, but I did like it very much at the time.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 08:16:07 PM »

I'll agree to that no can beer,cans take a way the good Taste of beer.
They do. Notice that only the cheapest beers are available in cans. A real beer, if a keg is unavailable, will be served in or from a glass bottle. Brown, preferably; it prevents light from spoiling the taste.

Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 08:25:33 PM »

As a rule, I prefer wine or liquor to beer, but when I choose beer, my favorites are Guinness, Sam Adams, and Shiner Bock.

However, I will almost always choose a Spanish red over a beer any day.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2008, 10:08:05 AM »

I also like Czech beers, especially Prazdroj, which is sold in the U.S. under the name "Pilsner Urquell." "Staropramen" is very good, too.

Czech beers really are underappreciated in the US. One of the reasons I want to go to Prague (besides the architecture, and seeing where some of my ancestors came from) is to sample Czech beer without the potential effects of traveling several thousand miles.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 10:08:38 AM by FrChris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2008, 10:12:35 AM »

I've been to Praha, and I must say that both the architecture and the beer are incredible. You'll never think about Budweiser the same way.

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2008, 11:59:36 AM »

Guinness (Extra Cold). Kieler Bier is also worth a try.
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2008, 02:05:58 PM »

Zhiguli?

Just recalled another one, in addition to Zhiguli - "Baltika." It's a relatively new brand, very fashionable in Moscow (I have a friend there who almost became a Baltika addict).

Love never fails.
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2008, 02:21:00 PM »

I'm not at all a beer-drinker, but I am bizarrely loyal to the Ukrainian brands Heorhij listed, not because I've ever tried them, but because they are Ukrainian and therefore, have pleasant, happy associations for me... Smiley

You know, it's a very new thing... When I was growing up, there was no beer industry in Ukraine. My parents never had beer at home, and people could not recite all these brand names - they just did not exist. Perhaps the only kind of beer you could buy in Ukrainian stores back then was a Russian beer called Zhiguli. Then, in the mid-1980's, during the Perestroika years, several breweries opened in Kyiv. One of them was located in the Obolon' city district, at the very northern edge of the city, on the right bank of the Dnipro, north of the Podil. It was known, back then, simply as "Brewery number three" ("Tretij Pyvzavod"), and it kept manufacturing the exact copy of the Zhiguli for a while; but then, suddenly, they began to produce their own brand of beer and to sell it under the name "Obolon'."

Right now, beer in Ukraine is big. In Kyiv, there are even real Irish pubs where people drink Guinness. And there are literally dozens of Ukrainian brands of beer sold everywhere, in stores as well as right on the streets, in little "kiosks."

Unfortunately, there are no rules against drinking right from the bottle on city streets, so sometimes you see not very pleasant pictures of young people walking down a street and drinking from big one-liter (quarter gallon) bottles of beer, sometimes even throwing empty bottles on the pavement.

Interestingly, the number of conspicuously drunk people on Kyiv city streets dramatically decreased, compared to Soviet times! Drinking even a liter or two of beer is not quite the same as drinking vodka dispensed under the table in city eateries, as it was habitual back then...

Love never fails.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: