Author Topic: Paul Newman Donates $120 Million to Charity  (Read 1349 times)

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
Paul Newman Donates $120 Million to Charity
« on: June 11, 2008, 02:41:08 PM »
 :o  It seems Paul Newman donated a gigantic sum of money to his Newman's Own Foundation recently.  It's so nice to see celebrities give back to the community, local or worldwide.  I've been a great fan of Mr. Newman's brand of foods for a while now, especially knowing that the profits go to benefit education. 

Link to article
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Re: Paul Newman Donates $120 Million to Charity
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 03:05:04 PM »
You found that on a "green gossip" site?  Wha?  How weird!

Back to the subject of the story: great for him.  It's nice to see celebs giving substantial amounts (Newman has money, but the full value of his ownership stake in his corporation is nothing to sneeze at - even for him it is a very substantial amount).
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 07:01:34 PM »
^Odd, isn't it?  I have to thank Fark.com for finding it, though.  I love hearing these kinds of stories. :)
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 07:03:29 PM »
Very generous of spirit. Good one, Paul!
I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 09:29:35 PM »
Since Newman's company gives millions to education each year, I have to say good move, Paul!
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline zoarthegleaner

• Elder
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 03:37:00 PM »
Almsgiving above all else requires money, but even this shines with a brighter luster when the alms are given from our poverty. The widow who paid in the two mites was poorer than any human, but she outdid them all.    St. John Chrysostom

When Julian the Apostate wanted to revive Paganism he instructed the Pagan Priests to begin collecting and giving alms to the poor inorder to direct them away from the Gospel of Christ. 

However, least some think my purpose is to trash Paul Newman I also add that our Lord said that even a cup of cold water given in a Prophet's name (not Kilbran) would receive a Prophets reward. 
Courteous is my name,
and I have always aimed to live up to it.
Grace is also my name,
but when things go wrong
its Courteous whom I blame;
but its Grace who sees me through it.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 07:48:06 PM »
Hey, give Paul Newman a break, folks. What has Paris Hilton contributed for the good of the world's poor and needy from her fat fortune? And it must be said that Mr Newman did not inherit his squillions.
No longer posting here. Anyone is welcome to PM me or email me at the address in my profile.

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 08:17:33 PM »
Hey, give Paul Newman a break, folks. What has Paris Hilton contributed for the good of the world's poor and needy from her fat fortune? And it must be said that Mr Newman did not inherit his squillions.

folks?
I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 10:05:11 AM »
Followup: Paul Newman passed away over the weekend from an undisclosed cause, though it was well known that he had been battling cancer.  Memory eternal!  May his great causes go on.

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 10:34:02 AM »
Lord, have mercy. Memory eternal.