OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 10:42:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Most Idiotic Article Ever  (Read 5924 times) Average Rating: 0
ComingHome
Elder

Faith: Yes

« on: September 25, 2008, 11:49:43 PM »

Having been a Fundamentalist Protestant for most of my life, I thought I had ready every idiotic thing that could possilby be said or written about King James Onlyism.  But today I read an article that topped them all.  For sheer stupidity this article takes the cake.  If there is an award for ignorance this website in general and this article in particular have my vote.

http://www.biblebelievers.com/believers-org/counterfeit-kjv.html
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 11:50:44 PM by ComingHome » Logged
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 12:45:32 AM »

These are just minor changes in spelling.  Well maybe they are, but have you never read "a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?"  You see I believe God wrote the Bible through sinful men.  I believe God copied the Bible through sinful men.  I believe God translated the Bible through sinful men, and I believe God edited (purified) the Bible through sinful men.  So therefore I believe God gave us the exact words in the exact order He wanted us to have them in.  If that's the case then He spelled the words exactly the way He wanted to spell them, and gave them to us in a pure language, and that language is the standard text of the King James Bible.

Well, then, I guess the Apostles who wrote the Gospels and Epistles in Greek got it all wrong....  Shocked

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 12:50:18 AM »

I don't think the author is saying that at all, as he specifically wrote that "God translated the Bible through sinful men".  In other words, in the author's eyes, the KJV is a "divinely inspired" translation.

Regardless, it's definitely a funny article, although the author surely did not intend it to be.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 03:58:27 AM »

From the article;

The seven-letter Saviour is the only begotten Son of God, the Lord Jesus Christ.  The six-letter Savior is the son of perdition, the anti christ. He wants to be like the most High (Isaiah 14:14,) but not in a good way, but in an evil way.  He is not a follower.  He's a counterfeiter.  Therefore his final destination is the lake of fire.  The new versions, along with the new age movement, and some of the King James Bible counterfeits are preparing the way for this six-letter so called Savior. That's the way he will spell his name, S-a-v-i-o-r not S-a-v-i-o-u-r.   No thank you Satan.  I'm sticking with the seven-letter Saviour as portrayed in the old black Book that I inherited from my forefathers.

While I've complained about American spelling in the past, I didn't realise it was satanic.  laugh

« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 03:59:20 AM by Riddikulus » Logged

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 07:23:56 AM »

While I've complained about American spelling in the past, I didn't realise it was satanic.  laugh
Such an abuse of the Queen's English must be diabolical. Wink

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 07:35:42 AM »

Wow.

Just wow.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 08:17:23 AM »

From an Aussie, that's rich.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 08:37:03 AM »

laugh

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
ComingHome
Elder

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 08:59:56 AM »

The quote cited by Riddikulus has got to be my favorite!  And I have to second what ytterbiumanalyst had to say:  WOW! 

I was in shock that such ignorance is actually out there and saddened that by many it is taken seriously. Roll Eyes Cry
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 11:33:02 AM »

From the article;

The seven-letter Saviour is the only begotten Son of God, the Lord Jesus Christ.  The six-letter Savior is the son of perdition, the anti christ. He wants to be like the most High (Isaiah 14:14,) but not in a good way, but in an evil way.  He is not a follower.  He's a counterfeiter.  Therefore his final destination is the lake of fire.  The new versions, along with the new age movement, and some of the King James Bible counterfeits are preparing the way for this six-letter so called Savior. That's the way he will spell his name, S-a-v-i-o-r not S-a-v-i-o-u-r.   No thank you Satan.  I'm sticking with the seven-letter Saviour as portrayed in the old black Book that I inherited from my forefathers.

At least he is a traditionalist....just the wrong tradition Wink

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 11:43:59 AM »

This is all coming back to me, like a very bad dream....

When I was in Birmingham, I would work with the OCF chapter in Tuscaloosa.

The article's author is based in Tuscaloosa, and his site has this interesting excerpt:

Who Are The Believers?

The Believers is an organization founded by 36 men November 19, 1973 in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama, USA.  We are organized on the common belief that the King James Bible is the one and only absolute, pure word of God.  Therefore we are against any other book or manuscript replacing the King James Bible as the final written authority.

I remember arguing with a person there who insisted that the Bible should not be looked at in the Greek for the meanings of words and exegesis, but that until God directed that the Bible be placed in the KJV, it was not 'reliable'.

Therefore, he was arguing that Scripture was defective until 1611.

He really hated it when I brought up that Martin Luther had a defective version of the Bible, then, and that any doctrine of Sola Scriptura must also be considered 'defective' having been drawn from a version of the Bible that had not yet been perfected.

Eventually he left me alone. I wonder if he was one of this 'Believers' group?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 11:44:47 AM by FrChris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 01:18:58 PM »

The line at the end of the article about Stuart era English being a "pure language" is one that causes the pinching of the bridge of the nose and the shaking of the head while sighing.  Unfortuntely, this isn't the first time I've come across that idea. There was a preacher on the Northern Virginia Christian radio station some years ago that said the same thing.  (he had some other doozies including "If today were the Day of the Lord (meaning the Last Day) wouldn't that make today extra special"  <ERK>  I give oath that I am NOT making that up.)

Could they even define what a 'pure' language is?  And then how would it fit in the line of how it developed, changing over time and then changing more in future years?  And what about different dialects at the same time? The English PH.D that I know would probably laugh hysterically.

sigh

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 01:39:50 PM »

"If the King James Version was good enough for Paul and Silas, then it's good enough for me."

LMAO! laugh
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 01:53:00 PM »

Hoo boy.

KJV, published 1611.
English spelling standardization, mid-1700's. 

Do the math.

Is there a smacking the forehead smiley?

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 02:24:27 PM »

These are just minor changes in spelling.  Well maybe they are, but have you never read "a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?"  You see I believe God wrote the Bible through sinful men.  I believe God copied the Bible through sinful men.  I believe God translated the Bible through sinful men, and I believe God edited (purified) the Bible through sinful men.  So therefore I believe God gave us the exact words in the exact order He wanted us to have them in.  If that's the case then He spelled the words exactly the way He wanted to spell them, and gave them to us in a pure language, and that language is the standard text of the King James Bible.

Well, then, I guess the Apostles who wrote the Gospels and Epistles in Greek got it all wrong....  Shocked

This reminds me of some opponents of the autocephaly of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church who say that the liturgical Ukrainian language does not exist, and that people like Prof. Ivan Ohienko (a.k.a. Metropolitan Illarion) were so wrong when they translated the original Hebrew and Greek scriptures directly into the modern vernacular Ukrainian, instead of the "sacred" Old Church Slavonic...

Love never fails.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 07:39:31 PM »

"If the King James Version was good enough for Paul and Silas, then it's good enough for me."

LMAO! laugh

thank goodness for some much-needed humor...

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
prodromas
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2008, 03:21:58 AM »

LMAO! laugh

lol as my evangelical Anglican freind currently in seminary joked to me, "Don't you realise the Greek was just the draft papers for the KJV"

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2008, 03:11:30 PM »

I run my church's bookstore and I've had many bizarre requests from people.  Among the strangest, though, have been requests for an Armenian translation of the King James Bible.  I've only had a couple of such requests from people who obviously have been influenced by certain non-Orthodox groups, but it amazes me that people would actually think that the Armenians would go to the trouble of making such a translation.  Is the KJV now supposed to be on the same level as the Septuagint, or do people think it is something higher?

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2008, 08:36:38 PM »

For those who would like to know the history of how the KJV came to be, I can recommend God's Secretaries by Adam Nicolson. 

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2008, 01:11:32 AM »

My parents have gone thru every protestant doctrinal fad and I recall them going thru the KJ one. I am happy my brothers and I were able to keep them from burning all the "heretical" non-KJ versions. They grew out of that fad within a couple years. Roll Eyes
observer
High Elder

Vivre die Raznitsa!

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2008, 01:30:00 AM »

I've just spotted it Cheesy  -  It's not the King James but St James Bible, written in Jerusalem around 50 A.D

Thou shalt not prefer one thing to another (Law of Liberalism)
sedan

Faith: on the road..orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian USA

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2008, 05:06:35 PM »

Hello all, coming from a denomination that has in it's ministry manual an article for KJV use only, and while most do, though some use the newkjv, I was of the KJV only camp for some time, until I realized that English is only, at best 750 years old, obviously not what Paul and Silas had as scripture. These KJVOnlyers forget that the Bible that Paul quoted most from was the Septuagint, just look at the referances of Hebrews 1:6 with it's cross referance, Deut. 32:43, obviously the LXX was used. Why? Because the Greek language was popular? No, I believe that God used the Septuagint as the Bible of the early church, as the Church today should be using it. Thank God that there is a translation in use, the Orthodox Study Bible, correct? I will be getting one soon, money is always an issue with me. But it is relativly cheap from CBD. Anyway, what does all this mean? Trust the ancient churches for their experience and wisdom. Just look at all the "doctrinal" things out there, some even claim our Lord was a millionaire, and use His seemless garment as proof. Huh God forgive us who are mislead! Cry My answer to those who would cla such for the KJV, pray, pray, and pray, until God shows you. Don't let doctrinal history cloud doctrinal truth. You will forgive me for my empassioned words, please brothers, I am tired of running from the truth!
Blessings.
Sedan
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2008, 05:10:41 PM »

You are absolutely correct in this. Although the KJV is superior to other English translations, especially the NIV, it itself pales in comparison to the Septuagint for accuracy, clarity, and beauty (and that's something coming from a lover of Elizabethan speech). The Orthodox Study Bible is translated from the Septuagint, although it is an Old Testament only (the New Testament is the NKJV text). I have heard, however, that there is a project to make a new Orthodox translation of the New Testament from the Septuagint as well.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2008, 06:45:53 PM »

I'm amused at their preference for the 1769 Oxford version, as though the codifiers hadn't introduced a few mistakes of their own. The early printing history of KJV is either hilarious or depressing, depending on your point of view. I am particularly fond of the edition that changed "princes have persecuted me without cause" to "printers have persecuted me without cause."
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2008, 07:11:26 PM »

I have heard, however, that there is a project to make a new Orthodox translation of the New Testament from the Septuagint as well.
Ummm, Mr Y, the Septuagint is the Greek Old Testament. Perhaps you meant "a new Orthodox translation from the original Greek texts". Pardon my pedantry.  Tongue
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2008, 07:15:04 PM »

I am particularly fond of the edition that changed "princes have persecuted me without cause" to "printers have persecuted me without cause."

Too funny!! Political correctness obviously is not merely a product of our present age....  Cheesy
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2008, 07:48:25 PM »

I have heard, however, that there is a project to make a new Orthodox translation of the New Testament from the Septuagint as well.
Ummm, Mr Y, the Septuagint is the Greek Old Testament. Perhaps you meant "a new Orthodox translation from the original Greek texts". Pardon my pedantry.  Tongue
Yes, that's what I meant.

recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2008, 08:12:41 AM »

How do KJV only "Bible believers" justify the removal of the so called "Apocrypha" from the KJV Bible? My grandparents (maternal side) had an old KJV from the mid 19th century which included the "Apocrypha" (I have not seen this book for years). Of course, Protestants have always regarded these books as suspect but years later I bought a separate KJV APOCRYPHA from Cambridge Univ Press which has the original charge of His Majesty's command: "Appointed to be read in churches." Would not these books have also been good for Paul and Silas?

Antiochian OC N.A.
sedan

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2008, 05:44:07 PM »

Hello Recent Convert, perhaps this will help. Historically, the KJV Bible was first printed in 1611, at the command of King James the First, for use in the Church of England and not for anything else than to appease the Church of England who wanted a new translation that wasn't so calvinistic as the Geneva, and the Roman Catholics in England, because James wife was a Spanish Catholic. The reason now they reject the "Appocrypha"  is that there is of course historical endorsment for them from the Fathers, who did quote from them, regardless of what they say, I've read them. And as they claim "the Bible alone" as one of their tennets of faith, cheerfully shred anything else, even if it agrees with them, case in point, the rapture and dispensationalism date from 1830, by John Nelson Darby, they attempt to place it with the Fathers, using vague and patchy syntax, at least in the mid-1800's, now they completly diregard it because better scholarship appeared of the Fathers, and since these doctrines are so well entrenched, people now beileve that they have always existed.They forget that the Anabaptists in thier early works quoted from the "Appocrypha" for doctrinal purposes, and that the only reason for there inclusion in the KJV origanil version was politically motivated, and to kept James' wife from causing a stir. However, today the protestants(of whom my denomination is included, no matter what they think) claim Jerome included them in his Vulgate, against his better judgement, since the Hebrew is more "original" than th Septuagint, they prefer to use that. So many of the KJVonlyer's really either don't know, or completly sidestep this issue, especailly of the Septuagint being used almost exclusivly by the early Church, they've even "found" or "discovered", documents dateing back to the 2nd centuary a.d. conclusivly proving that the KJV Bible was actually the one used then, just as we have it now. I think the link is in "the KJV store".com, but I'm not sure, I read this in a hard copy, and since I usually take KJVer's with a grain of salt, haven't looked further. Historically, the Bible we have as the KJV dates MSS from the 9th or 10th centurary, and at best only fair to good in there quality. This was not the fault of the translators, they also had some very strict and cramped rules that James required, they did the best they could, and not a single one, I'm sure, felt that they had a divine translation, just the God Directed work of translating. The lack of quotes from the "Appocryphal" books in the N.T. doesn't disallow the inclusion in the O.T. books, as Jude quotes from the Appocryphal work, the Book of Enoch, and no one in the KJVonlyer's camp seems to have a problem with it. This is coming from one who had many questions, when I first got "saved" since I didn't grow up in any church, and researched it completly, I was told that faith would be better, so don't study too hard?HuhHuhHuh
I hope this helps.
Sorry for the length, I can really talk when I get started.
Blessings.
Sedan
ComingHome
Elder

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2008, 06:54:29 PM »

I have to guess that you are not the most popular person, Sedan, in the Church of which you are a part.  Oh, well--we can't all be popular.  Wink Smiley Shocked Roll Eyes
sedan

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2008, 09:30:18 PM »

Actually I'm not very popular. I tend to teach, as they say, the Spirit leads me, unfortuantly(?) for them I often teach what is contrary to thier beliefs. All too often we like preachers so long as they tickle our ears, I have yet to do that, but because of my position, they can not deny me a place in the pulpit, unless the Senior Pastor bars me from the pulpit. I'm sure this is comming.
Blessings to you all.
Sedan.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2008, 10:10:50 AM »

I am particularly fond of the edition that changed "princes have persecuted me without cause" to "printers have persecuted me without cause."

Too funny!! Political correctness obviously is not merely a product of our present age....  Cheesy

I thought it was tyops... oops that's Typos that are not merely a product of our present age.   Wink Grin

Ebor

BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2008, 12:06:00 AM »

Wow.

Just wow.

Yeah, my response was OMG!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2012, 04:57:26 AM »

Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy

Large Marge sent me...
mark thomas

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: antioch

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2012, 07:38:28 AM »

I was laughing at his spelling of "publick" in the article. I kept hearing Ron White's voice - "Drunk in Public" - in my my mind!

"Who touches, is also touched"
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2012, 01:09:44 PM »

I've read where people actually think the imprimatur from the King for the KJV to be used in churches is actually some kind of divine mandate... People are crazy.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2012, 01:23:23 PM »

This is the sorta thought I grew up with.

The thing is. There is more right to it than wrong.

But to attempt to make that make sense would be to depart from its truth.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2012, 01:26:46 PM »

I've read where people actually think the imprimatur from the King for the KJV to be used in churches is actually some kind of divine mandate... People are crazy.
Yes, if you look around the Net you will find those who insist on calling it the "Authorized Version" not because that is its proper name but because that gives it weight.

When I am in the habit of reading the Bible, the King Jimmy is my preferred, because it is the language of my childhood and it sounds like I think the Bible should sound.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2012, 01:44:56 PM »

Yes, if you look around the Net you will find those who insist on calling it the "Authorized Version" not because that is its proper name but because that gives it weight.

When I am in the habit of reading the Bible, the King Jimmy is my preferred, because it is the language of my childhood and it sounds like I think the Bible should sound.

You must get a copy of The Message. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Internetting it just ain't the same as a real copy.

All kidding aside, it is sometimes quite insightful and eye opening, when not offering much time for laughter. But what else would you expect from a single person driven dynamic literal translation.

With a God like this loving you, you can pray very simply. Like this:
Our Father in heaven,
Reveal who you are.
Set the world right;
Do what's best— as above, so below.
Keep us alive with three square meals.
Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others.
Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil.
You're in charge!
You can do anything you want!
You're ablaze in beauty!
Yes. Yes. Yes.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2012, 03:14:18 PM »

Please tell me that passage wasn't real.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2012, 03:35:07 PM »

You must get a copy of The Message. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Thank you so much for this, Orthonorm. I had no idea this thing existed. It is instantly my favorite thing ever published in the history of...words. It's like having a Barney Fife reinterpret the Bible. Amazing.

John 3:16-18, Message Version:

"This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life. God didn't go to all the trouble of sending his Son merely to point an accusing finger, telling the world how bad it was. He came to help, to put the world right again. Anyone who trusts in him is acquitted; anyone who refuses to trust him has long since been under the death sentence without knowing it. And why? Because of that person's failure to believe in the one-of-a-kind Son of God when introduced to him."

Jesus Christ: He's one-of-a-kind!

Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2012, 08:41:21 PM »

Our Father in heaven,
Reveal who you are.
Set the world right;
You're in charge!
You're ablaze in beauty!
Yes. Yes. Yes.

Sounds like a pep talk for God... "You can do anything you want!"? Really, I think God is well aware of that...
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2012, 08:53:05 PM »

Our Father in heaven,
Reveal who you are.
Set the world right;
You're in charge!
You're ablaze in beauty!
Yes. Yes. Yes.

Sounds like a pep talk for God... "You can do anything you want!"? Really, I think God is well aware of that...

To be fair, we do that all the time: I believe in one God, the Father [fill in the blank]. To point out a trivial case.

I sorta like:

Our Father in heaven,
Reveal who you are.
. . .
You're ablaze in beauty!
Yes. Yes. Yes.

EDIT: And really "You're in charge! You can do anything you want!" is pretty good for what it is translating. You reign. You power(?) [All is from You. You do all. Etc.]
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 08:57:05 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2012, 08:57:52 PM »

Scripture Reference: GENESIS 8:1

The Real Bible: asswaged

Counterfeit: assuaged

Cheesy

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2012, 09:01:28 PM »

I was laughing at his spelling of "publick" in the article. I kept hearing Ron White's voice - "Drunk in Public" - in my my mind!

note that's how the "real bible" spells it in Matthew 1:19 Wink

(also note that music is properly spelt musick Cool)
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: