OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 07:56:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Western rite prayer books  (Read 4018 times) Average Rating: 0
Vlad
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« on: September 24, 2008, 12:39:05 AM »

Hello all, On another thread I have asked for opinions on good Orthodox prayer books. Now I would like to ask if anyone has any good advice on good western rite prayer books. Specifically focusing on the British Isles.

God Bless
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 10:21:26 AM »

While not specifically published for Western Rite Orthodox, I've always heard good things about the Monastic Diurnal

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 12:38:13 PM »

I'd imagine you could find much of what you're looking for (monastic diurnal included, both noted and unnoted) from Lancelot Andrewes Press made specifically for WRO (though I hear Anglo Catholics make use of them, too).

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: <Insert your favourite patriotic attribute here> Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 01:47:03 PM »

This topic might interest you.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 01:47:51 PM by Alpo » Logged

The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 03:58:49 PM »

I understand the Monastic Breviary (the Diurnal is that minus Matins) is the official Western Rite breviary (book of hours) for WRO (both Antioch and ROCOR). If you go to Yahoo! Groups you'll find a group that makes a weekly calendar for WRO who use it. It's cued up to match the Orthodox date for Easter and has special supplements to fill in gaps in the original's calendar and celebrate certain Orthodox saints.

Is the Lancelot Andrewes reprint specifically for WRO? I thought it was simply a reprint of Canon Winfred Douglas' Anglo-Catholic one from the 1930s.

I love the Monastic Diurnal - more variety than the Little Offfice of the Blessed Virgin Mary but easier to use than the Roman Breviary and its near-copy in English, the Anglican Breviary.

Vlad
Elder

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 06:38:24 PM »

Thanks a bunch
Vlad
Elder

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 06:55:29 PM »

I understand the Monastic Breviary (the Diurnal is that minus Matins) is the official Western Rite breviary (book of hours) for WRO (both Antioch and ROCOR). If you go to Yahoo! Groups you'll find a group that makes a weekly calendar for WRO who use it. It's cued up to match the Orthodox date for Easter and has special supplements to fill in gaps in the original's calendar and celebrate certain Orthodox saints.

Is the Lancelot Andrewes reprint specifically for WRO? I thought it was simply a reprint of Canon Winfred Douglas' Anglo-Catholic one from the 1930s.

I love the Monastic Diurnal - more variety than the Little Offfice of the Blessed Virgin Mary but easier to use than the Roman Breviary and its near-copy in English, the Anglican Breviary.
Young fogey I have an Anglican Breviary it is what I used to pray as Catholic and still do sometimes. It is far better than the modern Catholic "liturgy of the Hours". IMHO
Reader KevinAndrew

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Western Rite

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 02:39:34 PM »

Young Fogey:

The Lancelot Andrewes' Monastic Diuranal is a reprint of Canon Douglas' one from the 1930s.

Officially for the WR Vicariate, the Monastic Diurnal is supposed to be used for the daily office for parishes that celebrate the Liturgy of St. Gregory. The English Office (more or less 1928-style BCP morning and evening prayer) is supposed to be used as the office for parishes that celebrate the Liturgy of St. Tikhon. In actual practice, parishes adhere to those guidelines very loosely. My own parish uses the English Office, even though we celebrate the Mass of St. Gregory. Personally, I use the MD and the newly reprinted Matins that LA press came out with.

The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 05:30:05 PM »

Thanks. I wrote what I did because I wasn't thinking of the BCP as a breviary, which technically it's not unless you have a Bible and BCP all in one volume.

Is the Antiochians' English Office like the old Anglo-Catholic book of the same name, the old Prayer Book office with Catholic additions like antiphons and hymns?

Reader KevinAndrew

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Western Rite

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 12:14:57 PM »

Is the Antiochians' English Office like the old Anglo-Catholic book of the same name, the old Prayer Book office with Catholic additions like antiphons and hymns?

Yes, it's pretty much the same thing. I think there will be a draft of the English Office coming out soon by the AWRV. It's not a reprint, but our own.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 08:42:08 AM »

Hello all, On another thread I have asked for opinions on good Orthodox prayer books. Now I would like to ask if anyone has any good advice on good western rite prayer books. Specifically focusing on the British Isles.

God Bless
Vlad,

If you are looking for a personal Prayerbook there is "Orthodox Prayers of Old England"
See http://www.allmercifulsavior.com/Bookstore.html

This was put together by Fr Aidan (Keller) a hieromonk of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad.  Metropolitan Hilarion gave his blessing several years ago for this Prayerbook and Fr Aidan's other liturgical works to be sold in ROCOR bookstores.  And just last month he gave his blessing for all of them to be reprinted.  Hope this information helps.
Mexican
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 01:32:24 AM »

What version of the Roman Breviary does the WR use in communities that worship according to the Rite of St. Gregory and not according to the Liturgy of St. Tykhon?

Does it look more like the Breviary of Pope Pius X or like that of Pope Pius XII? Maybe like that of the modern Roman Church?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 01:33:55 AM by Mexican » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 08:05:00 AM »

What version of the Roman Breviary does the WR use in communities that worship according to the Rite of St. Gregory and not according to the Liturgy of St. Tykhon?

Does it look more like the Breviary of Pope Pius X or like that of Pope Pius XII? Maybe like that of the modern Roman Church?

Pius XII.  Definitely not the modern version.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 09:41:39 AM »

Re the 1928 ed. of the Book of Common Prayer. In another forum I asked whether its Psalter was pre King James version and was told it was a version translated by Cranmer. Is the Cranmer Psalter closer to the Septuagint than the King James? I know, of course, it is numbered according to the Masoretic.

Antiochian OC N.A.
scamandrius
Dr., Rdr. Scamandrius to you :)
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 09:44:47 AM »

There is also St. Dunstan's Plainsong Psalter which is also printed by Lancelot Andrewes.  I have a copy and it is used at the Western Rite parish here in Omha for Vespers, Matins and Compline.  It also has some information on how to chant (Gregorian) with explanations about notation and the various  modes. That also might be of interest.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 10:55:40 AM »

God Bless
Vlad,

If you are looking for a personal Prayerbook there is "Orthodox Prayers of Old England"
See http://www.allmercifulsavior.com/Bookstore.html

This was put together by Fr Aidan (Keller) a hieromonk of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad.  Metropolitan Hilarion gave his blessing several years ago for this Prayerbook and Fr Aidan's other liturgical works to be sold in ROCOR bookstores.  And just last month he gave his blessing for all of them to be reprinted.  Hope this information helps.

I understand that after several years of waiting. Father Aidan (Keller) formerly of the Milan Synod was accepted by Metroploitan Hilarion of Rocor as a Rocor priest recently.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Mexican
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 11:56:17 AM »

In my opinion, if I was part of a congregation that uses the Rite fo St. Gregory, I wouldn't feel confortable using a Breviary of Anglican origin, even if it's approved by Orthodox use.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 07:34:01 AM »

I understand that after several years of waiting. Father Aidan (Keller) formerly of the Milan Synod was accepted by Metroploitan Hilarion of Rocor as a Rocor priest recently.
Yes indeed, Fr Aidan waited patiently for about 4 years or maybe more.  This was a magnificent indication of his humility and steadfastness, both excellent monastic vitrtues.  During this time he was permitted to confess and to receive Holy Communion in the Russian Church Abroad.

He was received as a priest in mid-September.

Here is the notice which will appear in the next edition of the Diocesan Journal...

This is to certify that on Thursday, September 18, 2008, before the
Divine Liturgy, celebrated in St. Sergius of Radonezh Church at the
Synod of Bishops in New York City, we regularized through cheirothesia
the ordination to the Holy Priesthood of Hieromonk Aidan (Keller).

Hieromonk Aidan (Keller) is assigned to the Eastern America & New York
Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia.

[seal]

+ Hilarion [handwritten signature]
Metropolitan of Eastern America and New York,
First Hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008, 07:41:18 AM »

A second priest from the Milan Synod was received into the Russian Church Abroad about 10 days after Father Aidan.  In this case the priest-monk had been waiting for reception since 2005.

See the announcements at the bottom of Fr Aidan's new Blog:

Oremus: Roman Rite in the Orthodox Church
http://www.sarisburium.blogspot.com

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: