OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 02:31:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 40 days after birth of child  (Read 6884 times) Average Rating: 0
Byzantine2008
Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« on: September 23, 2008, 07:48:27 PM »

Does a mother after giving birth need to stay at home after birth?

If yes why?

Is it a requirement of our Faith?

I have been getting conflicting answers to these questions. The answers seem to vary according to which area of Greece you are from.

Im very confused.
 Undecided
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 07:48:48 PM by Byzantine2008 » Logged

Let your will be done O Lord Jesus Christ through the intercession of you All Pure Mother and all the saints!
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 08:38:10 PM »

Yes.

If yes why?
Because she needs time to heal from the ordeal of childbirth, and she and the child need bonding time.

I don't believe so. We came back to church shortly before the forty days were up, but the Churching and Baptism occurred on the fortieth day.

I have been getting conflicting answers to these questions. The answers seem to vary according to which area of Greece you are from.

Im very confused.
 Undecided
I hope I haven't added to your confusion. Smiley

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Byzantine2008
Elder

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 08:46:09 PM »

Yes.

If yes why?
Because she needs time to heal from the ordeal of childbirth, and she and the child need bonding time.

I don't believe so. We came back to church shortly before the forty days were up, but the Churching and Baptism occurred on the fortieth day.

Im very confused.
 Undecided
I hope I haven't added to your confusion. Smiley

Any more info about why it is a requirment of our Faith.

Peace

Let your will be done O Lord Jesus Christ through the intercession of you All Pure Mother and all the saints!
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 08:48:55 PM »

Any more info about why it is a requirment of our Faith.

Peace
Not from me. What I know of the Faith is limited to what I have lived and the little I have read. Perhaps others are more knowledgeable about this.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 09:56:37 PM »

According to secular culture, not necessary.  According to the Church, not necessary.

No.

Given the state of modern Greece, not many women uphold religious traditions and the answer to your first question is also not necessary.

Im very confused.

The Orthodox faith is not a legalistic one.  No one will check to see if you stay away from Church for 40 days after giving birth....
Byzantine2008
Elder

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 11:26:46 PM »

According to secular culture, not necessary.  According to the Church, not necessary.

No.

Given the state of modern Greece, not many women uphold religious traditions and the answer to your first question is also not necessary.

Im very confused.

The Orthodox faith is not a legalistic one.  No one will check to see if you stay away from Church for 40 days after giving birth....

According to your responses is it fair to say why bother doing it all???

Since it isnt a requirement of the Church?

Very confused
 Huh

SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 11:40:36 PM »

Very confused

The Churching of a Baby after 40 Days is equivalent to the Presentation of Christ at the Temple to fulfill Jewish law.

Since Christ fulfilled the Old Testament, nearly every Orthodox parent presents their newborn child for the 40 Day Blessing.  That doesn't mean Orthodox mothers have to barricade themselves at home for 40 Days although if some wish to stay home for 40 Days, no one is stopping them.

What is driving your confusion?
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 12:07:14 AM »

The Churching of a Baby after 40 Days is equivalent to the Presentation of Christ at the Temple to fulfill Jewish law.

Since Christ fulfilled the Old Testament, nearly every Orthodox parent presents their newborn child for the 40 Day Blessing.  That doesn't mean Orthodox mothers have to barricade themselves at home for 40 Days although if some wish to stay home for 40 Days, no one is stopping them.

Excellent advice!
Byzantine2008
Elder

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 12:08:58 AM »

Very confused

So you are saying they choose to do it from their own accord not because it is a Church requirement?

SolEX01
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 12:27:22 AM »

So you are saying they choose to do it from their own accord not because it is a Church requirement?

Babies are Churched due to the parents' own free will and as a requirement of the Church.
The Baby cannot be baptized unless it is churched.

I hope I didn't confuse you further other than to say that Babies are routinely Churched in the Orthodox Church.  I ask for your forgiveness if I have confused you further....
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 12:36:15 AM »

The churching of an infant at 40 days is an ancient and strong custom, and it can be seen as a kind of preparatory step to the child's baptism. It is universally carried out in the Orthodox Church.

OTOH, the "requirement" of a mother to remain housebound, or to not set foot in church for 40 days is more a matter of local custom and culture.
Byzantine2008
Elder

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 12:59:22 AM »

Babies are Churched due to the parents' own free will and as a requirement of the Church.
The Baby cannot be baptized unless it is churched.

I hope I didn't confuse you further other than to say that Babies are routinely Churched in the Orthodox Church.  I ask for your forgiveness if I have confused you further....

No need to ask for forgiveness.

I just couldnt grasp whether or not it was a requirement of the Church thats all.

My wife has also asked why cant she attend the liturgy, go for confession and take Holy Communion?

SolEX01
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 01:03:40 AM »

My wife has also asked why cant she attend the liturgy, go for confession and take Holy Communion?

Did she recently give birth?  If so, congratulations!!   Smiley

If not, is there a reason your wife thinks she can't attend liturgy, confess and/or receive Holy Communion assuming that she hasn't been excommunicated for anything?   Huh Huh
Byzantine2008
Elder

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 01:31:06 AM »

Did she recently give birth?  If so, congratulations!!   Smiley

If not, is there a reason your wife thinks she can't attend liturgy, confess and/or receive Holy Communion assuming that she hasn't been excommunicated for anything?   Huh Huh

Yes she has recently given birth. Three weeks to be exact.

How do I insert pics?

[

Byzantine2008
Elder

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 01:48:21 AM »

When trying to post a pic it says uploader file is full, contact admin.....

Huh

SolEX01
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 01:56:10 AM »

You have to use the Insert Image feature (located under the Italics button) and have a URL to the image you wish to upload.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 11:25:39 AM »

Yes she has recently given birth. Three weeks to be exact.
Congratulations, and many years!

My wife was glad to get out of the house, at least for a few minutes, after three weeks. Yet it really does take about six weeks to fully recover, even if there are no tears during childbirth (which can take even longer to recover). Forty days of rest is medically sound, even if there is no spiritual requirement.

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 11:33:53 AM »

Indeed, congratulations and many years!  I think the first time I left the house after our daughter was born was day 6 and it was with mixed feelings.  I was glad to see the outdoors but I was terrified of how to get this fragile little girl from point A to point B. 

Yeah, as far as physically and emotionally it takes a couple of weeks to feel up to going any where and I really didn't even feel human again until six weeks after birth.  As far as the church goes, there is nothing I know of forbidding your wife from attending, confessing, or taking communion.  My priest advised me to come back when I felt ready and I believe we came two weeks after she was born.  Of course, as mentioned by others, there are cultural differences in each parish.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 02:28:46 PM »

After baby two I walked about 1/3 of the way around greenlake (about a mile I think) to take my eldest to the park within a couple days of giving birth. After baby 3 I went to the grocery store within a day. The more kids you have the less likely it is that you can stay home for very long, if at all. I was pretty slow on these outings, but they were necessary for the sanity of the family.

Just don't try to squat down for the full six weeks. You can stop bleeding within about 1-2 weeks if you are careful with babies 2 and on. If the bleeding stopped and then restarted after activity it is a good sign that you are over doing it.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 02:41:48 PM »

Once we have baby #4 I will likely observe the 40 days of staying home from Liturgy. My husband can take the older three. It is a good chance to establish nursing routines and have one on one time with a child that otherwise wouldn't have it.  Even with nursing all kids after the first one rarely get that one on one time with mommy.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 03:43:44 PM »

^Ditto on the nursing routines.  It's hard to set a nursing schedule away from home. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Byzantine2008
Elder

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 06:37:03 PM »

Byzantine2008
Elder

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 06:38:45 PM »

My son Nicholas[/img]

Byzantine2008
Elder

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 06:40:32 PM »

He has changed my world, I love him so much.  Smiley

Byzantine2008
Elder

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008, 06:44:51 PM »

My wife is finding it at little difficult at the moment as she has not left the house for a few weeks now.

LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2008, 07:47:34 PM »

Dare I suggest what's preventing you from staying home with the little one while she goes out for a bit, for her own sanity?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 07:47:59 PM by LBK » Logged
Byzantine2008
Elder

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2008, 07:51:34 PM »

Dare I suggest what's preventing you from staying home with the little one while she goes out for a bit, for her own sanity?

I have been working long hours lately but hopefully next week i can get the weekend off to give her a break.

Grin

Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2008, 08:00:34 PM »

I suggest you get someone to come over while babe naps so you two can get something to snack on. Even just a half hour of "adult time" will do wonders for her sanity and your connection as husband and wife. It is easier to be away in increasing increments than to go for 2 hours the first time. We mommies will find any reason to feel guilty Wink
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2008, 08:04:55 PM »

Beautiful son, Byzantine2008!  Congratulations!

You're right, it's hard to find time to do things with a wee one.  The first time Mr. Y and I went out on the town without Caitlin we were starting to miss her within an hour.  I started talking about her the instant we drove away from her grandparents.  Smiley 

SolEX01
Merarches

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2008, 01:08:02 AM »

Nicholas is some handsome little guy!!  May God Bless the 3 of you.   Smiley

Please tell your wife to go to a friend's house, mall or somewhere else for some time while you watch Nicholas, for her sanity.   Wink
Tags: churching 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: