Author Topic: Letting You Know  (Read 373 times)

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
Letting You Know
« on: February 16, 2017, 11:18:15 AM »
Just so you know I have a deaf disability and am hearing impaired ... This deals with hearing audio,audiology, and deafness.

It also deals with family members and how others perceive deafness.

Does the church having services for hearing impaired? . . .
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 11:18:57 AM by WPM »

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
Re: Letting You Know
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 11:49:43 AM »
I know of a few places that are doing so....

Russian ones
http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/97580.htm

http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/96210.htm

This last one is inspiring...the entire parish is deaf or hard of hearing

http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/95683.htm

All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 12:01:11 PM »
Because that is where I would be going to church.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 12:28:07 PM »
Do you know about the voices and why hearing voices? ...

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 12:43:21 PM »
Because that is where I would be going to church.

You may already know this, but the user Tigran here is deaf and is a deacon in the Armenian Orthodox Church. He has a Youtube channel with lessons on Orthodoxy in ASL: https://www.youtube.com/user/HY3TIKO/videos

If you need ASL, you might just write to the headquarters of each Orthodox Church in the USofA to find out which churches offer that.
"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 12:52:32 PM »

Do you mean you are hearing voices or do you mean how we hear voices? There is a thread here on the former but I cannot find it.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 01:43:03 PM »
Or are you wondering if there's a way you can fix your deafness? Because there are surgical implants for hearing now.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 02:30:08 PM »
Cochlear implants are amazing technology.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline RaphaCam

• Archon
  • Be good works the daily nourishment of your hearts
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 04:06:44 PM »
I love deaf missions, never heard of any Orthodox one in the diaspora, but maybe you can find them. Maybe if you study the liturgy, however, you can see it and know exactly what's happening regardless of hearing it or not. After I had gone enough to two Portuguese-language parishes (I'm a native Portuguese speaker), I went to a Russian parish which did everything in Slavonic (church language of the Russians) and I could understand almost everything without a proper book.

If you're hearing voices of people whom you can't see, you should talk to a doctor. They are probably not there, and he'll assist you to make them go away.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 04:08:11 PM by RaphaCam »
"Behold, the mystical sacrifice, fully accomplished, is ushered in. In fervent faith let us draw near, that we may become sharers in everlasting life. Alleluia."

Please pray for myself, my family and my friends.

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese). Last article: Fontes de fé da Igreja Ortodoxa

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 07:31:21 AM »
Or are you wondering if there's a way you can fix your deafness? Because there are surgical implants for hearing now.

Yea, cochlear impants are like $ 15,000 thousand.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Abp Yeznik Petrosian Defender of the Faith
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 11:03:40 AM »

This is a more worthy cause for a Gofundme fundraising campaign than many others I see out there in internetland (e.g., "My parents are filthy rich but you can still help me go to college", "I'm moving down the street and need $5,000 dollars for moving expenses", "Please just send me money, I like money", etc.). 
Just grab them by prayer.

Mor has spoken through George... this is the faith of the fathers!

The Church's bridegroom was never the Byzantine Empire.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 11:06:37 AM »

This is a more worthy cause for a Gofundme fundraising campaign than many others I see out there in internetland (e.g., "My parents are filthy rich but you can still help me go to college", "I'm moving down the street and need $5,000 dollars for moving expenses", "Please just send me money, I like money", etc.).

Funny how the money thing works.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Abp Yeznik Petrosian Defender of the Faith
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 11:10:07 AM »

Yeah, but you never know.  It's worth considering.  I think there are people out there who would love to help you out if it is for a very specific thing that will help improve your life. 
Just grab them by prayer.

Mor has spoken through George... this is the faith of the fathers!

The Church's bridegroom was never the Byzantine Empire.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2017, 02:36:39 PM »

Yeah, but you never know.  It's worth considering.  I think there are people out there who would love to help you out if it is for a very specific thing that will help improve your life.

I think this is a wonderful idea. On an emotional level, the people here are like family and this would provide an opportunity to help.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2017, 03:25:37 PM »
My mom and my dad are separate, ... They do not live in the same area.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Merarches
  • Chaos, panic and disorder. My work here is done.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 03:27:49 PM »

Last year, someone I've known only through FB was left confined to a wheelchair with bone cancer and needed 8 grand to get and train a service dog. The gaming community we belong to (not even a huge group) raised the money within a couple of months. People want to help, with however little they can, as long as they know that what they give will matter.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline RaphaCam

• Archon
  • Be good works the daily nourishment of your hearts
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2017, 07:29:19 PM »
I might help you, WPM, and I'm sure many others think the same way.
"Behold, the mystical sacrifice, fully accomplished, is ushered in. In fervent faith let us draw near, that we may become sharers in everlasting life. Alleluia."

Please pray for myself, my family and my friends.

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese). Last article: Fontes de fé da Igreja Ortodoxa