OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 25, 2014, 10:01:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greater and lesser consecrations of Orthodox Churches  (Read 1070 times) Average Rating: 0
griego catolico
Elder

Faith: Catholic

...for the union of all, let us pray to the Lord.

« on: September 23, 2008, 05:53:01 PM »

I would appreciate it if someone could explain to me the differences involved with the rites of greater and lesser consecrations of an Orthodox Church.

The Church of the Protection of the Holy Mother of God at the Martha-Mary Convent in Moscow was first blessed on December 21, 2007  ( http://www.new.mmom.ru/index.php?id=14 ). 

It was solemnly blessed on the 16th of this month. ( http://www.new.mmom.ru/ru/life/news/index.php?id=39 ).

Also, what is it that Patriarch Alexei is holding during this outdoor procession for the solemn consecration of the church.  At first, I thought he was carrying the Holy Eucharist, but I was told they are relics that will be enshrined in the altar of the church.  Is this correct?

Thank you for any explanations offered.  Smiley
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 08:54:21 PM »

Yes, for a consecration, relics are affixed into the altar table (most likely what +ALEKSY is carrying).

I'm guessing that this blessing back in December was no "conscrecation" and maybe just a blessing of the grounds or something. 
griego catolico
Elder

Faith: Catholic

...for the union of all, let us pray to the Lord.

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 11:58:07 AM »

Elisha,

Thank you for your reply.

The lesser blessing which took place on December involved the blessing of water along with Divine Liturgy. My understanding is that the lesser blessing of a church takes place when the church is ready enough for liturgy to be celebrated even when the church building or complex is not entirely completed.

May Our Lord bless you,

griego catolico
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 01:33:29 PM »

Perhaps the lesser blessing was the cornerstone blessing before construction was completed and the greater blessing (if we want to use these terms, my service book doesn't) is when the Bishop builds the altar, blesses the church and the religious articles within. 

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: