OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 10:01:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good Prayer books  (Read 6443 times) Average Rating: 0
Vlad
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« on: September 22, 2008, 01:31:10 AM »

Coming from an RC background we RC's have lots of prayer books are there any OC ones that you would recommend. I used to pray the breviary pre Vatican II all the time does the OC have a system like the Breviary?
 Also what about the Jordanville Prayer Book I found one of those online cheap, anyone have expierience with this book?

Blessings
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 01:33:54 AM »

agpeya:  Coptic prayer book of hours

You can actually read it online at agpeya.com or go to orthodoxbookstore.com to order a copy.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 04:53:31 AM »

The Jordanville Prayerbook is very well-regarded and comprehensive, though it is written in an older form of English which some may find a little difficult. There is the possibility that this may change, as I understand the new Metropolitan of ROCOR has recently expressed a preference to the use of a more modern, but still reverential and formal English for liturgical use.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 09:26:25 AM »

I always use a prayer book printed by the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (headquarters in South Bound Brook, NJ). It has all prayers in my native Ukrainian on the left hand side of the page and in English on the right. I got it directly from Fr. Hieromonk Daniel Zelinsky, by mail. The jurisdiction's contact e-mail address is consistory@verizon.net; it is on their Web site (http://www.uocofusa.org/).

Love never fails.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 10:36:40 AM »

I use the Jordanville prayer book, and I think that it is great.

St. Isaac of Syria Skete has it for $15.00, and the shipping is always 10%, so in this case the total is only $16.50, which is great for a hardcover prayer book:

http://www.skete.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1192&Category_ID=10

Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 10:41:29 AM »

I'd say Jordanville as well.

Now let us all wait for ozgeorge to find this thread and do his "5th gospel" routine.   laugh laugh

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 11:49:42 AM »

I used to use Jordanville but, as LBK pointed out, I found its English to be very awkward in construction.  As I'm a bit of a grammar geek, I found it very distracting and it was, unfortunately, not conducive to a good prayer life for me.

I currently use the Old Orthodox Prayer Book published by Nativity of Christ (Old Rite) church in Erie, PA for morning and evening prayer.  I find the setup and order of the prayers perfect for my personal style and it has been a great help to my prayerlife.  It also has a number of canons (and the Akathist to the Theotokos) and the texts of the hours; the Sixth hour gets the most use out of my book as I use that for noontime prayer before lunch at work.  The only thing I would add to it is a little general menaion of sorts for the troparia and kontakia of the saints to go along with the excellent calendar in the back.

It also has facing Slavonic and English pages and has been a great help in my ongoing learning to read the old language.  The only problem, if you can call it that, I have is that it uses alot of abbreviations for things in Slavonic but I managed to find pdf online that explains/expands such abbreviations.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 11:52:00 AM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 11:51:46 AM »

I used the Jordanville prayer book for most of my Orthodox sojourn, but I can't use it any longer. The evening prayers in particular I found to be difficult to pray. It seemed like every prayer was about how I was a terrible sinner and the worst scum of the earth. If people can use it in a spiritually healthy way, then that's great for them. However, I would say that it's not for everyone.
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 12:52:55 PM »

I have used bothe the Jordanville Prayer book and the Antiochian little Red prayer book (based on Hapgood Translations) and found that as an adult the Jordanville paryerbook was ok however for use asa family, I found the Antiochian prayerbook easier to follow and use with the entire family.
In paperback it runs $5, everyone in our family holds their own during the  family prayers.
Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 01:07:17 PM »

The evening prayers in particular I found to be difficult to pray. It seemed like every prayer was about how I was a terrible sinner and the worst scum of the earth. If people can use it in a spiritually healthy way, then that's great for them. However, I would say that it's not for everyone.

At first that was difficult for me, but over time I've begun to see it as useful.  I think everything in our society is geared towards "feeling good", so this acts as a sobering counter balance.  Begging Christ our God for forgiveness nightly has been very helpful showing me my many flaws.  It also seems to place a greater amount of pressure on me to forgive those around me.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 03:28:45 PM »

I use the HTM prayer book and really enjoy it.

http://www.thehtm.org/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=576&osCsid=4efa3fdefe12ac6f423e1117cdec64bc

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever!

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 07:37:57 PM »

I use The Hours of Prayer - A Book of Devotion published with the blessing of Bishop Nicholas of the ACROD.  Besides containing the usual prayers (Morning, Evening, before and after Communion, and Akathists to the Saviour and the Theotokos) it has the Troparia and Kondakia for weekdays, Sundays, major Feasts, Triodion, and Pentecostarion and the canonical hours of the Orthodox Church arranged for reading as a private devotion at home.

Zastupnice christianov nepostydnaja, chodatajice ko Tvorcu nepreložnaja, ne prezri hr’išnych molenij hlasy, popredvari jako blahaja na pomošč nas, virno vopijuščich ti: Uskori na molitvu, i potščisja na umolenije, zastupajušči prisno Bohorodice, čtuščich t’a.
Thomas
Archon

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 08:46:01 AM »

I use The Hours of Prayer - A Book of Devotion published with the blessing of Bishop Nicholas of the ACROD.  Besides containing the usual prayers (Morning, Evening, before and after Communion, and Akathists to the Saviour and the Theotokos) it has the Troparia and Kondakia for weekdays, Sundays, major Feasts, Triodion, and Pentecostarion and the canonical hours of the Orthodox Church arranged for reading as a private devotion at home.

I agree this is an excellent prayer book especially for people like myself who live a large distance from a local Church and may travel 100+ miles every to attend on Sunday and major feasts.  It allows you to a part of the daily flow of prayers practiced in the Orthodox Church in your domestic Church, your own home.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 10:32:33 AM »

Any idea where I can get this online?

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2008, 12:27:56 PM »

The prayers found in most Orthodox prayer books are all contained within the Horologion, or Book of Hours. The morning prayers, for example, are simply an abbreviated version of the Midnight Office.

So if you're planning to use the book at home (it's probably too bulky to carry around with you), I'd recommend getting a copy of the Horologion (of which I think the HTM is the most complete English translation, although the Jordanville version, also very good, is much cheaper) rather than one of the smaller, abbreviated prayer books.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 12:32:29 PM by Orthodox11 » Logged
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2008, 02:47:06 PM »

http://www.anastasis.org.uk/liturgic.htm is a good resource.
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 02:52:15 PM »

I used the Jordanville prayer book for most of my Orthodox sojourn, but I can't use it any longer. The evening prayers in particular I found to be difficult to pray. It seemed like every prayer was about how I was a terrible sinner and the worst scum of the earth. If people can use it in a spiritually healthy way, then that's great for them. However, I would say that it's not for everyone.

Can you please send me this prayer book since you are not using it?

If it is what you say it is; it describes me and my life to a "T".

email me.

Pray for me; a sinner.

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 02:56:22 PM »

Thanks.  Archimandrite Ephrem's site is fantastic, but I was actually looking for a place to purchase the ACROD "Book of Hours". Smiley

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 02:56:29 PM »

I always use a prayer book printed by the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (headquarters in South Bound Brook, NJ). It has all prayers in my native Ukrainian on the left hand side of the page and in English on the right. I got it directly from Fr. Hieromonk Daniel Zelinsky, by mail. The jurisdiction's contact e-mail address is consistory@verizon.net; it is on their Web site (http://www.uocofusa.org/).

Heorhij, Archimandrite Daniel Zelinsky has been His Grace Bishop Daniel since May 10, 2008. AXIOS!

Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2008, 02:57:51 PM »

I have found such a jewel for humble vervent deeply repentent prayer:

St.Gregor Narakatsi

Published by the Armenian Orthodox Church.

This book is highly revered by my (our) Armenian brothers.

Try it!

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever!

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2008, 05:46:22 PM »

I purchased it several years ago through Light and Life Publishing.  Check with them.  I'm not sure if it's still available.

Another prayerbook I like is A Manual of the Hours of the Orthodox Church compiled by Archimandrite Cherubim (Monastery of the Paraclete, Attica, Greece) and "published" in English by the Holy Myrrhbearers Monastery in Otego, NY.  It contains very abbreviated selections from the hours (one or two psalms and one or two prayers from each of the Canonical Hours - Vespers, Compline, Midnight Office, Matins, and the Little Hours).  But it's small size 4' x 5" and the fact that it contains only a small selection from each hour make it convenient to keep in one's briefcase or office desk draw and pray a portion of the Canonical Hours throughout the day at the appropriate times.  Each of the Little Hours contain enough that can be read/prayed slowly and thoughtfully in about 5 minutes.  It's great at work, for the "pause that refreshes!"

Zastupnice christianov nepostydnaja, chodatajice ko Tvorcu nepreložnaja, ne prezri hr’išnych molenij hlasy, popredvari jako blahaja na pomošč nas, virno vopijuščich ti: Uskori na molitvu, i potščisja na umolenije, zastupajušči prisno Bohorodice, čtuščich t’a.
Vlad
Elder

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 12:29:00 AM »

Hello all, I hear many of you say that the Jordanville Prayer book is in difficult English. Does this mean archaic like Elizabethan prose (King James Bible Style) because I personally love that stuff. Or do you mean something else?
Vlad
Elder

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 12:30:27 AM »

Thank you all for your kind help. I shall be looking into some of these books

God Bless
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 01:45:14 AM »

Hello all, I hear many of you say that the Jordanville Prayer book is in difficult English. Does this mean archaic like Elizabethan prose (King James Bible Style) because I personally love that stuff. Or do you mean something else?

Yup, more or less that is what people are saying.   Smiley  I personally find it more enjoyable to pray from due to the language.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008, 10:14:45 AM »

I would say that it's very much "like" Elizabethan prose in the vocabulary and phrasing but, unfortunately, the grammar/syntax falls incredibly short of the beauty of the KJV and Shakespeare.  It's like the translators kept the Slavonic word order, a parsing which simply doesn't work English.

But that's just my opinion. Smiley
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 10:15:18 AM by Schultz » Logged

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2008, 11:40:12 AM »

I understand. I teach English and Spanish, and I love the feel of Elizabethan speech patterns, as well as the specificity of four words for "you." Thee, thou, ye, and you have distinct meanings in early modern English which have not carried over to currant usage.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Helena94

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2008, 12:31:47 PM »

Hi Vlad,
I, too, have a Catholic background, and since converting I find my favorite Orthodox prayer book to be a paperback one titled "My Daily Orthodox Prayer Book," by Anthony M. Coniaris. It does not contain the Divine Liturgy, but it has a lot of prayers in it that I personally find very comforting and helpful.

Hope this helps! I'm a fairly recent convert, and a forum like this has been extremely helpful and uplifting to me on my journey.
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2008, 01:02:44 PM »

I also highly recommend this prayerbook,

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2008, 01:05:06 PM »

The UOC of Canada, also has a very good prayerbook, tho sadly its already out of print.  These books really should never be out of print, but that's my opinion.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2008, 01:27:47 PM »

Thee, thou, ye, and you have distinct meanings in early modern English which have not carried over to currant usage.
I love currants but I'm currently out. Kiss

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2008, 06:34:20 PM »

Thee, thou, ye, and you have distinct meanings in early modern English which have not carried over to currant usage.
Ack! Did I really write that? Sheesh....

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Vlad
Elder

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2008, 06:51:37 PM »

Does anyone who prayers the Jordanville prayer book know what akathists it contains?
Vlad
Elder

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2008, 06:53:11 PM »

Hi Vlad,
I, too, have a Catholic background, and since converting I find my favorite Orthodox prayer book to be a paperback one titled "My Daily Orthodox Prayer Book," by Anthony M. Coniaris. It does not contain the Divine Liturgy, but it has a lot of prayers in it that I personally find very comforting and helpful.

Hope this helps! I'm a fairly recent convert, and a forum like this has been extremely helpful and uplifting to me on my journey.
Thanks Helena I'll have to look at that too. So many choices. laugh
Vlad
Elder

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2008, 06:57:38 PM »

The prayers found in most Orthodox prayer books are all contained within the Horologion, or Book of Hours. The morning prayers, for example, are simply an abbreviated version of the Midnight Office.

So if you're planning to use the book at home (it's probably too bulky to carry around with you), I'd recommend getting a copy of the Horologion (of which I think the HTM is the most complete English translation, although the Jordanville version, also very good, is much cheaper) rather than one of the smaller, abbreviated prayer books.
Is the Horologian similar to the Western Breviary?
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2008, 07:45:47 PM »

Does anyone who prayers the Jordanville prayer book know what akathists it contains?

It contains the Akathist to our Sweetest Lord Jesus, and the Akathist to the Mother of God.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2008, 09:47:14 PM »

Ack! Did I really write that? Sheesh....
Just ribbing my fellow choir member. Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2008, 11:11:34 AM »

Just ribbing my fellow choir member. Smiley
But of course. Who better to ridicule for a spelling error than someone who teaches that very thing? Wink

Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2008, 03:37:37 PM »

I use the Antiochian pocket prayer book.  It has prayers for most occasions and doesn't overload you with morning or evening prayers.  It's a great "starter" prayer book but it's fine for people who've been in the Church longer, too.

However, if I had my druthers, I'd prefer to get a prayer book that doesn't use any archaic language at all - no "thee/thou" or anything like that.  If anyone knows where I can get one of those, I would appreciate it.

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2008, 07:45:33 PM »

I use the Antiochian pocket prayer book.  It has prayers for most occasions and doesn't overload you with morning or evening prayers.  It's a great "starter" prayer book but it's fine for people who've been in the Church longer, too.

However, if I had my druthers, I'd prefer to get a prayer book that doesn't use any archaic language at all - no "thee/thou" or anything like that.  If anyone knows where I can get one of those, I would appreciate it.

Orual, PM me. I can help.
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2008, 11:19:44 PM »

New Skete has a Prayerbook, but its more of a Horologion.  New Skete's prayerbook and the one from the UOC of the USA are in modern English.

the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2008, 04:23:24 PM »

Another user of The Old Orthodox Prayer Book here Smiley

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2008, 04:17:30 PM »

I would also highly recomend the Old Orthodox Prayer Book. I do have the Jordanville one also, but the Old Orthodox one is the one that I use daily.
samkim
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2008, 04:44:10 PM »

Is the Horologian similar to the Western Breviary?

Yes. Horo-logion, Hours-book.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 04:45:00 PM by samkim » Logged

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
Thomas
Archon

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2008, 08:51:31 AM »

A good prayer book that we have started to use in our home is "The Hours of Prayer"  put out by the Orthodox Brotherhood of the Virgin Mary, available by writing them at PO Box One, Elkhorn West Virginia 24831. It is now in its second edition.  Of particular useage top one who lives a distance from church and may wish to have instruction on how to do  Reader's services of the Typical Psalms when unable to get to Church for a Divine Liturgy.  It has reader's services for all of the hours plus  Akathists to the Savior, the Mother of God, and a common office for weekday services.

Thomas

edited for spelling- Thomas
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 09:07:37 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Thanatos

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2008, 03:26:43 PM »

I reccomend Jordanville or HTM for starting out. I have and use the Old Believer prayerbook; and, although its a beautiful treasury of Orthodox spirituality, I regret a bit starting out using it - just because its prayer rules are fairly lengthy making it easier for one to want to slack off (guilty!).

So for a convert new to the faith, I'd suggest something lighter like the aforementioned - and if you want to pump up the mortification, well there you go.  Tongue
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 03:28:03 PM by Thanatos » Logged
Tags: prayer prayer books 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: