OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 05:30:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Farewell to Yankee Stadium, An American Icon  (Read 2664 times) Average Rating: 0
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« on: September 21, 2008, 11:27:51 PM »

As I post this, the Yankees and Orioles are playing the last Major League regular season baseball game ever to be played at Yankee Stadium, which will be retired this winter.  Considering that the Yankees are on the verge of being eliminated from contention for a postseason berth, this may very well be the last game ever at this site.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 11:43:34 PM »

And the Yankees win 7-3.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 02:13:19 AM »

I was watching it at a bar tonight. I held out as long as I could, but by late in the game, I broke down and wept.

It was so hard to see her go. It feels like my childhood has gone with her.  Cry
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 03:31:49 AM »

ESPN Article on the Last Game:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=280921110&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 11:08:21 PM »

Wrigley and Fenway is all that is left...sad

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 11:10:28 PM »

Wouldn't it be great to have this year's World Series span both these stadiums?  It's still possible with the Red Sox still leading the AL wild card race.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 11:22:04 PM »

Cubbies/Rays - time for someone else to represent the AL.   Wink

There is no political will in Boston for a new Fenway (or possibly PCConnection Park) especially in today's economic climate.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 08:53:13 AM »

^ They could put it underground! Bigger Dig, anyone? Wink Cheesy

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 12:23:36 AM »

I have a feeling it's the Cubs vs Angels...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 12:42:42 AM »

^ Angels have title already.  Rays are surprise team like Arizona and Florida when they made first time World Series appearances and won.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 12:44:26 AM »

Not if you consider Dodger Stadium to be a classic....  Otherwise, all the classic stadia are gone for the HD Jumbotron and Crab races, sniff, sniff....   Cry
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 01:27:25 AM »

Not if you consider Dodger Stadium to be a classic....
1962 doesn't hold a candle to 1911 (Fenway) or 1914 (Wrigley).  Sorry, Charlie. Kiss
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 01:33:37 AM »

1962 doesn't hold a candle to 1911 (Fenway) or 1914 (Wrigley).  Sorry, Charlie. Kiss

As long as Dodger Stadium is now the 3rd oldest stadium in active MLB use, might as well call it a classic.   Wink
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 01:37:54 AM »

As long as Dodger Stadium is now the 3rd oldest stadium in active MLB use, might as well call it a classic.   Wink
Nah!  To be called a classic, the stadium needs to be older than 99% of the members of this forum.  Dodger Stadium is, what, only 46 years old?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 01:38:27 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 01:51:44 AM »

Nah!  To be called a classic, the stadium needs to be older than 99% of the members of this forum.  Dodger Stadium is, what, only 46 years old?

Not necessarily - Dodger Stadium is a classic because the field is still grass while the classic concrete and Astroturf stadiums, which were constructed in the 60's, 70's & 80's, were demolished after Oriole Park at Camden Yards opened in 1992.

When the new Shea opens in 2009 and the new Target Field opens in 2010 and the new Marlins stadium opens in 2011, 3 more stadiums built before 1990 will vanish.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 11:45:26 AM »

Personally, I was glad to see the concrete and astroturf in Busch go. It was unsightly. The new Busch is a far better place to play than the old one, and I think the vantage points are better as well, especially from the cheap seats.

People always complain about a change until it occurs, and then they're just find with it. This is nothing more than human stubbornness, and it too shall pass.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 11:57:35 AM »

I really like the new Busch stadium, though I have great memories of the old one too.  The new Busch actually lets you see outside the stadium.  Not much to see other than concrete buildings, but at least you don't feel closed in.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 12:04:41 PM »

While I'm a big fan of baseball history, I'm not all that sad to see Yankee stadium go... Although the history that was made in that building is undeniable. Gone is the House that Money built... (you didn't think I was going to say Ruth, did you?  The Yankees have been successful because of their greatest player ever: $$$$$ $$$$$$.

When the time comes to destroy Fenway, I'd pay to fly over there just to relieve myself on its ruins! Wink  Good riddance!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 12:30:08 PM »

Personally, I was glad to see the concrete and astroturf in Busch go. It was unsightly. The new Busch is a far better place to play than the old one, and I think the vantage points are better as well, especially from the cheap seats.
Yup.  I had heard stories of games played in the heat and humidity of a St. Louis summer day in the old Busch Stadium.  The air radiating from the base of the Astroturf surface would easily raise the on-field temperature to about 110.  Imagine pitching five innings in that oppressive heat and mugginess! Tongue

I do have to admit, though, that I still recall the Old Busch Stadium as the site of the only double-double steal in Major League history and possibly the weirdest triple play ever recorded (both in games the Cardinals played against my Cubs).
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 12:32:39 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 06:32:44 PM »

^ There's a reason the tickets at Busch when the Cubs visit cost $10 more than for any other team. It's totally worth it. Even last weekend when we didn't have a prayer and the Cubs could all take a nap on the field and still make the playoffs, we still played three very good games. In my opinion, there's no better rivalry in sports.

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 11:13:55 PM »

I did frequent Dodger Stadium a couple of times a year, nice & clean, retro 60's colors...

xcept the 9.00 12oz beer...arghhhhh

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 11:17:36 PM »

WOW!  $96.00 per gallon! Shocked  Certainly makes gas look cheap. Tongue
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2008, 03:22:22 AM »

Good riddance...the new one will be better,,,people have short lemming memories anyway...SmileyCentral.com" border="0

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2008, 07:37:21 AM »

I did frequent Dodger Stadium a couple of times a year, nice & clean, retro 60's colors...

When you factor in the exchange rate between California dollars and U.S. dollars, it's actually quite reasonable.

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2008, 11:05:10 PM »

Don't know the current xchange rate for pesos...

One can purchase a 18 pack of Bud, Bud Light or Miller Lite for 9.00 bucks...

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2008, 11:07:12 PM »

^ 'Bout the same here. Of course, if you want beer, you'll have to pay about $1 a bottle.

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2008, 11:20:08 PM »

Has anyone sampled the new Bud American Ale ?

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2008, 11:22:20 PM »

Has anyone sampled the new Bud American Ale ?

Keeping that on topic would have had to be something like, the do you think they'll serve Bud American Ale in the new Yankee stadium?  Smiley Someone start a beer thread!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 11:23:10 PM by username! » Logged

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2008, 12:10:39 AM »

Ok, do you think they'll serve that new Bud American Ale in the new Yankee stadium? 

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2008, 12:13:13 AM »

Ok, do you think they'll serve that new Bud American Ale in the new Yankee stadium? 

Hmmmm, I wonder, I wonder what the bud american ale tasted like in the old Yankee stadium or what it will taste like in the new Yankee stadium  laugh
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 12:14:26 AM by username! » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: