OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 03:59:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox site to soberly address dangers of Roman claim to Papal Supremacy  (Read 1181 times) Average Rating: 0
_Seraphim_
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Diocese of Western America (under His Grace Bishop Maxim)

May Orthodoxy become our orthopraxis

« on: September 20, 2008, 06:47:00 PM »

What I’m really looking for is an Orthodox site that (soberly) addresses:

1) Rome’s criterion for Christian unity is ultimately Papal Supremacy over all of Christendom…
and, therefore,
2) Rome’s declaration that they simply “want unity” is very misleading because it lacks the full explanation of how exactly they intend this “unity” to take place.

Anyone know of a well-balanced/informative/sober Orthodox site that addresses this particular issue?

"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike."
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

"Behold the light of our Agreed Statement on Christology"
http://www.orthodoxunity.org/state04.html
Heracleides
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Patriarch of Jerusalem

Kona-Kai

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 08:58:02 PM »

Not sure if it is what you're looking for, but you might want to look at this article on Phil Thompson's site: "The Fundamental Difference Between East and West"

Link: http://silouanthompson.net/2008/07/31/east-and-west/

"And having found Heracleides there again, we instructed him to proclaim the Gospel of God..."  ~Acts of Barnabas
MarkosC

Faith: Patriarchate of Antioch
Jurisdiction: Greek/Melkite Catholic

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 11:23:40 PM »

I don't know if a site exists (and if fact doubt it - despite the good work being done in many fields with primary sources, I have yet to see much good online secondary work - that isn't just the online version of a print journal).   

That said, the only book that I've seen which discusses what you're talking about is called Hymn of Entry, by Abbot Vasilios of the Iviron monastery.  Though the book is written to be an explanation of why the Holy Mountain was opposed to the EP-Vatican ecumenism of the 1970s, it's really much more than that because he puts it into a theological framework.  And this is "real" (for lack of a better word) theology - it's not philosophy or history, it's a written articulation of the life and experience of the Church in several areas, and within it

Be advised: it's not easy, light reading.   I honestly think that the average layman would have to have been attending just about every service at Church (Vespers/Orthros/Liturgy+Lent, Holy Week, etc.) consistently for at least several years in order to be able to make  sense of it.

Markos

[I suppose the question will inevitably arise: why am I still in union with Rome if I think so highly of Abbot Vasilios' books?  Short answer, I think his characterization of Rome - even though it's perfectly in line with what he'd learn in France in the 1960s, and basically in line with the Catholic answers crowd - is inaccurate; and that Rome's nature - understood in its own terms - are essentially in line with what he writes.  That is, as much as I admire his work and that of Abbot Aemilianos and of other writers, I don't see anything that's outside what I've seen with Rome.  But that's the subject of a totally different thread.  If it comes, I'll participate.  If not, I'll leave it at that.]
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 11:27:58 PM by MarkosC » Logged

O Lord although I desired to blot out
with my tears the handwriting of my many sins
And for the rest of my life to please Thee
through sincere repentance
Yet doth the enemy lead me astray as he wareth
against my sould with his cunning

O Lord before I utterly perish do Thou save me!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: