Author Topic: "The Church At Prayer" by Archimandrite Aimilianos of Simonopetra, Mount Athos  (Read 2254 times)

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
  If you're interested, you can read the excerpt on marriage at orthodoxinfo.com and type in 'marriage' then look for 'the sacrement of marriage' or something like that.  I was so impressed that I ordered the book.  Any y'all read his writings (or books) before?
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline MarkosC

I saw it at an Orthodox monastery here in the US.  They read it during the evening meal, and I had a look at it too.  I thought it was very good and hope to get a copy.   

However, I couldn't find it from either various Orthodox book sellers here, or from the publisher [however, that may have changed].   Do you know of a source where we could order it?   
O Lord although I desired to blot out
with my tears the handwriting of my many sins
And for the rest of my life to please Thee
through sincere repentance
Yet doth the enemy lead me astray as he wareth
against my sould with his cunning

O Lord before I utterly perish do Thou save me!

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
I saw it at an Orthodox monastery here in the US.  They read it during the evening meal, and I had a look at it too.  I thought it was very good and hope to get a copy.   

However, I couldn't find it from either various Orthodox book sellers here, or from the publisher [however, that may have changed].   Do you know of a source where we could order it?   
I actually just received it in the mail today from Orama World in Greece.  I believe it took just under 7 days to arrive.  I can't wait to begin reading it.  Do you recall which section the monastics read during the evening meal?
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline MarkosC

Thanks, Mr. Celt!   ;D 

In a monastery, there is silence during the meal save for one monk who'll read something spiritually edifying.  In this case, I think they were going through the book over the course of several weeks.  I think they read about 5 pages or so an evening.  It was accompanied by other reading too - one from another book in the evening, and two seperate books at lunch.  I don't recall off the top of my head what they were, though I think one of them was by St. Basil the Great.   

On the second night I was there the section on marriage was read.   I recall that distinctly, about how an Orthodox marriage is and its parallel with the monastic life.   In fact, I think it's the very one that's on Orthodoxinfo.com.   
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 10:47:15 PM by MarkosC »
O Lord although I desired to blot out
with my tears the handwriting of my many sins
And for the rest of my life to please Thee
through sincere repentance
Yet doth the enemy lead me astray as he wareth
against my sould with his cunning

O Lord before I utterly perish do Thou save me!