OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 07:41:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antiochian Orthodox and the Latin Rite  (Read 1421 times) Average Rating: 0
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« on: September 18, 2008, 01:50:42 AM »

I have encountered information that stated something to the effect that some Antiochian Orthodox churches use the Latin Rite Liturgy of St. Gregory.  They see themselves as a "bridge to the Western church", much as the Eastern Catholics do the other way around.  Do all or most Antiochian churches use the Latin Rite, or is it rather a small segment of the church?  Thanks!
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 02:45:12 AM »

There is a Western Rite Vicariate of the Antiochain jurisdiction which use a modified Rite of St. Gregory or sometimes called the Rite of St. Tikhon, named after the Russian Patriarch who modified it and excised the portions that were not in accordance with Orthodox teaching and practice. 

There are only a handful of western rite churches within the Antiochian jurisdiction.  Most are Eastern Rite.  The only other jurisdiction that has western rite parishes is the ROCOR (Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia) and these are mainly in Europe.  The other jurisdictions such as the Greek, Serbian, etc. do not have western rite parishes and the reason is that they believe that the Eastern Rite is the exclusive rite of the Eastern Orthodox jurisdictions.

You should also be informed that the use of the western rite is not to be regarded as a "bridge to the Western Church."  It isn't.  The use of the Rite of St. Gregory or St. Tikhon is an Orthodox Rite that has its origins way before the schism.  Granted, in the West more was added to it that was clearly heretical, but that was excised by St. Tikhon.  THe Western Rite is Orthodox.  It is not supposed to be a bridge so that the parishioners will come over to the Eastern Rite, though some often do.  Western Rite parishes often struggle to survive.  The one here in Omaha, unfortunately, is.  Here is more information authored by Bishop BASIL of the Antiochian Diocese of Wichita and Mid-America: http://www.westernorthodox.com/basil.htm

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 04:08:57 PM »

Speaking of the parish in Omaha, is Fr. Stephen still doing well after his retirement?

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 09:26:41 PM »

Yes.  We often see him at St. Mary for Great Vespers on Saturday and sometimes he will serve the Liturgy if our priest is absent as will happen this Sunday.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: