OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 17, 2014, 05:49:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats the best way to pray the Jesus prayer  (Read 2769 times) Average Rating: 0
Vlad
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« on: September 18, 2008, 01:46:17 AM »

Well like the thread says what is the best way to pray the Jesus prayer? At home in front of your Icons or at anytime. Do you use any breathing techniques with it. I was told by a Priest to breath in at "Lord Jesus Christ son of God" exhale, inhale "have mercy on me" exhale "a sinner" is this a fairly typical way of going about it.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 09:27:54 AM »

Well like the thread says what is the best way to pray the Jesus prayer?

Under the loving and fruitful guidance of your Spiritual Father.

This is not a 'do it yourself' project!  Smiley

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: <Insert your favourite patriotic attribute here> Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 04:55:06 PM »

Since I'm not an Orthodox ie. I don't have a Spiritual Father, shoud I avoid praying it?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 04:56:19 PM by Alpo » Logged

scamandrius
Dr., Rdr. Scamandrius to you :)
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 06:14:47 PM »

To pray it with humility and reverently and be free from distractions.  Of course, being under the guide of a spiritual father is important.  If you are converting to Orthodoxy then ask the opinion of the priest who will be shepherding you through your catechumenate.  At the same time, be prepared for him to suggest that such is not right for the spiritual stage that you are currently at.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
SolEX01
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 06:17:12 PM »

I recite the Jesus prayer inaudibly (or under my breath) when I face temptation or stress.  The topic has been discussed in depth on this forum.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 06:26:37 PM »

Since I'm not an Orthodox ie. I don't have a Spiritual Father, shoud I avoid praying it?

Alpo,

Welcome to the forum (in case I have not already welcomed you!)

What I would do is: speak to an Orthodox priest about this issue, preferably the one that will be catechizing you and bringing you up in the Faith.

The Faith is all about relationships.....your relationship with God and your relationship with everyone else. Therefore, as you adopt elements of the Faith you find helpful such as the Jesus Prayer, it is a warping of the Faith to then avoid relationships and try to foster growth as a Christian by going it alone.

Now, you have enough exposure of the Orthodox Faith to learn about things like the Jesus Prayer, and you can sense the Truth that is here. I urge you to follow this Truth all the way home, and ask the advice of an Orthodox priest on this topic.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 08:11:05 PM »

With your actions.

"Preach the Gospel often, and when necessary, use words."--attributed to St. Francis of Assisi

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Vlad
Elder

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 06:45:30 PM »

So is it best to not pray the Jesus Prayer if you don't have a Priest around to act as your spiritual Father?
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 02:17:42 PM »

I was told by many Orthodox people here and there that it is generally best to pray the Jesus prayer under the direction of a spiritual father, but I don't think its necessary. I think it's important not only to repeat it over and over again but to obviously truly mean it. I find that it also proves to be a great tool to pray for others and their issues as well as for the self. I would generally pray the morning/evening prayers found in a prayerbook such as Jordanville's or the greek archdiocese bi-lingual edition, and then I'd do half (50) or the full (100) knots of the prayer rope for the self and for others. My spiritual father (Geronda Christodoulos) told me that it is good in humbling the soul.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: <Insert your favourite patriotic attribute here> Orthodox

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 04:12:15 PM »

It seems like I've just got yet another reason to join the Church. I already got fond of it but if it's forbidden to pray it without guidance of a spiritual father I guess I should avoid it...  Undecided

Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 07:39:34 PM »

It's not forbidden, just a suggestion.

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
wynd
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Transfiguration

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 05:29:08 PM »

It's not forbidden, just a suggestion.

Think of it this way: if you are serious about getting in really good shape, a good thing to have is a personal trainer.
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 07:18:21 PM »

An issue is that some people have trouble locating a "spiritual father". Sometimes there are no priests close, sometimes a priest is wary of allowing someone to consider them a "spiritual father," etc. I don't think in such cases that it'd be better to just not pray the prayer.

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
Vlad
Elder

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 01:28:09 AM »

An issue is that some people have trouble locating a "spiritual father". Sometimes there are no priests close, sometimes a priest is wary of allowing someone to consider them a "spiritual father," etc. I don't think in such cases that it'd be better to just not pray the prayer.

Asteriktos, when I was in Missoula when we had a Priest he advised me to just say the pray while breathing in for "Lord Jesus Christ" exhale" Son of God" inhale "have Mercy on me" exhale "a sinner".
Since I am now without a Priest would you suggest I follow my former Priests advice or wait until I get around to a place that has another Priest.
orthodoxlurker
Supporter & Defender of Fr Ambrose (Irish Hermit) - banned
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian - NOT a phanariote
Jurisdiction: Serbian Patriarchate under siege

al-Saabir yaraa al-Hurriyah

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 01:38:31 AM »

I'm the last one to advise anyone, particularly on the issue of Jesus Prayer, but it seems there is the reason why it can be advised to be prayed only:

1) by an Orthodox Christian, and not during conversion;
2) under the guidance and not on his own;

That particularly relates to breathing or any other activity in addition to merely saying it / thinking it.

Don't involve any special kind of breathing without the guidance.

Curse the Pope, for he is the root and cause of these disasters! - St. Nektarios of Aegina

You don't get to circumvent your post moderation by calling out the moderators in your signature. ~Veniamin, Global Moderator
Tags: Jesus Prayer 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: