OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 02:45:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello friends  (Read 2171 times) Average Rating: 0
Vlad
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« on: September 18, 2008, 01:21:49 AM »

Hey all I am a Roman Catholic making the Change to "just" Catholic Wink. I have studied the basics of the Orthodox Faith after much soul searching (and the dismal state of RC"liturgy") I have found the Orthodox church to be the truth. I am from mid-north Montana. We do not have much by way of Orthodoxy here. I occasionly get to Butte to the Serbian Orthodox Church and Missoula has a Liturgy once a month, but gas prices being what they are I can't do too much traveling.

So here is my question. AS I am still technicaly Catholic of the Roman persuasion should I continue to receive the sacrements at a RC Church or just wait until I am able to get to an OC Church?(even though I can not yet receive there) On the off Sundays what should I do? I will be asking many questions from you folks so I hope you can handle me. Smiley

In Christ Vlad (but not the Impaler)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 01:29:45 AM by Vlad » Logged
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 08:14:32 AM »

Blessings of the Lord!

First off, welcome to the forum!

AS I am still technicaly Catholic of the Roman persuasion should I continue to receive the sacrements at a RC Church or just wait until I am able to get to an OC Church?(even though I can not yet receive there)

My suggestion to you is....decide which Orthodox Parish you wish to make your home, and enter catechism there. Once you decide this, bring this question to your priest, and then do what he instructs you to do.

On the off Sundays what should I do? I will be asking many questions from you folks so I hope you can handle me. Smiley

Bring 'em on....we just hope you can handle us!  Wink

BTW: are you familiar with this site? It shows Orthodox missions or parishes also being in Great Falls, Helena, and Bozeman...maybe some of those are closer to you than Butte or Missoula.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 11:06:44 AM by FrChris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 08:57:59 AM »

Welcome!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 09:28:39 AM »

Welcome, brother Vlad-not-the-Impaler!

Just in case... I know it's a long way from mid-North Montana, but if you travel to Western Washington, there is a very nice Ukrainian Orthodox parish in the Madrona neighborhood, in Seattle metropolitan area.

Love never fails.
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 10:36:29 AM »

Welcome to the forum, Brother Vlad! May God bless your journey!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 11:01:27 AM »

Welcome to the forum, Brother Vlad!
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 11:04:01 AM »

Welcome Vlad!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
samkim
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 11:54:36 AM »

May you find healing for your soul and body.

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 01:45:52 PM »

Welcome!....Vlad..SmileyCentral.com" border="0SmileyCentral.com" border="0
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 01:48:39 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 10:25:48 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Vlad.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 10:33:21 PM »

I also add a welcome to the forum!  May God bless you.    Juliana Smiley
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 10:55:23 PM »

Welcome, Vlad from a Montanan-in-Exile  Wink  I'm Back East but I grew up in Great Falls.  You wrote you're from the mid north.  Are you up on the Hi-line?

Ebor

(It's interesting to me the number of Montanans we have on the forum)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 11:06:08 PM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 11:04:15 PM »

BTW: are you familiar with this site? It shows Orthodox missions or parishes also being in Great Falls, Helena, and Bozeman...maybe some of those are closer to you than Butte or Missoula.

Well, the parish in Great Falls doesn't have a priest.  Bozeman is farther south then either Butte or Helena.  And it's in my mind that Katherine2001 posted something a while back that the mission in Helena isn't there any more either.  Billings has an active parish but that's a good ways east and south. 

About 250 miles north to south and over 550 miles east to west and a lot of Open in between.  Wink 

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 12:05:32 AM »

Welcome!

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Vlad
Elder

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 12:40:55 AM »

Thanks for the warm welcome friends. Ebor I am from Havre. I have been to Great Falls many times they have a Greek Parish but sadly no Priest. There is a parish in Missoula which is where I went to University. It was there I became interested in Orthodoxy. I had been Catholic and then after becoming fed up with the loonyness of the Modern Church I went over to the Society of Pius X. But after much study I have come to the conclusion that Orthodoxy is the truth. Anyway I have been to the Serbian Church in Butte that is a breathtaking Parish. The whole inside is frescoed it looks like a monastery from the Balkans. I haven't been to the Church in Helena or the one in Billings.
Vlad
Elder

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2008, 12:42:52 AM »

Well, the parish in Great Falls doesn't have a priest.  Bozeman is farther south then either Butte or Helena.  And it's in my mind that Katherine2001 posted something a while back that the mission in Helena isn't there any more either.  Billings has an active parish but that's a good ways east and south. 

About 250 miles north to south and over 550 miles east to west and a lot of Open in between.  Wink 

Oh yeah Montana is not good territory to be Orthodox in. It is usualy at least 4 hours to a Parish and that is if your close to one of the major cities and weather is good. In the winter forget it, a four hour drive can easily turn to six.
Vlad
Elder

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 12:44:59 AM »

Evidently the Greek Parish in Missoula I used to attend is still active but it is motly lay led typika stuff. I guess the Priest Fr. Russel (I think) comes in once or twice a month. I didn't know that the Helena mission shut down. That stinks.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 09:41:06 AM »

Oh yeah Montana is not good territory to be Orthodox in. It is usualy at least 4 hours to a Parish and that is if your close to one of the major cities and weather is good. In the winter forget it, a four hour drive can easily turn to six.

I mean nothing disrespectful in this, I assure everyone.  But reading the above caused a thought with "not good territory to be Orthodox in".   But Christianity was brought to the Montana Territory by missionaries who had more difficult conditions to deal with (no roads for example).  That didn't stop Fr. DeSmet, Bishop Tuttle or Brother Van Orsdel.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: