OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 04:54:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You Are Peter by Olivier Clement  (Read 1192 times) Average Rating: 0
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« on: September 16, 2008, 11:06:19 AM »

Has anyone else read Olivier Clement's You Are Peter? It seemed to challenge both the Orthodox stance on radical collegiality and Catholic Primacy in a kind of organic tension which seems to be present in the early Church. Anyone read this work? Any Thoughts?

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 05:50:55 PM »

Has anyone else read Olivier Clement's You Are Peter? It seemed to challenge both the Orthodox stance on radical collegiality and Catholic Primacy in a kind of organic tension which seems to be present in the early Church. Anyone read this work? Any Thoughts?

In what way are the Orthodox "radically" collegial?  I'm always under the impression that Constantinople can convene if necessary.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 05:51:32 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 11:04:38 AM »

In what way are the Orthodox "radically" collegial?  I'm always under the impression that Constantinople can convene if necessary.

Clement appears to argue that early Church Ecclesiology was a 'tension' between the collegiality of the Bishops and the primacy of the Bishop of Rome. He seems to argue that it was that way for a reason.

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 11:34:53 AM »

Clement appears to argue that early Church Ecclesiology was a 'tension' between the collegiality of the Bishops and the primacy of the Bishop of Rome. He seems to argue that it was that way for a reason.

It could be argued that tension and not an agree form of ecclesiology is very unstable.  This instability lead to the 11th century schism. No?  (other than fifth century divisions)

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 12:09:02 PM »

It could be argued that tension and not an agree form of ecclesiology is very unstable.  This instability lead to the 11th century schism. No?  (other than fifth century divisions)

I think it would be fruitful to read his book on the matter. I'm not sure I could represent his scholarship on the matter.

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 02:12:58 PM »

I think it would be fruitful to read his book on the matter. I'm not sure I could represent his scholarship on the matter.

The book does sound very interesting.  I'll definitely track it down.  Smiley

Tags: Petrine Primacy 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: