OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 04:26:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why no more councils  (Read 1573 times) Average Rating: 0
johnmac

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« on: September 15, 2008, 08:42:45 PM »

Let me put this out there.

Correct me if I am mistaken.

As Orthodox you recognize 7  councils and claim to have the original faith from the Lord.

Has there not been any more councils? Would not new issues need to be discussed?

Thanks,
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 08:57:40 PM »

It was debates about the very essence of the Faith that brought together the Ecumenical Synods of the first millennium, that resulted in doctrinal definitions, such as, as to the nature of Christ.  Such issues are not in dispute today, thanks, probably, to the soundness of those doctrines.

There are administrative disputes, however, that should be dealt with, i.e. the overlapping of jurisdictions outside the territories of the individual Holy Churches of God, the Calendar, and more.  Since 1923, they've been planning a "Great and Holy Synod [Council]of the Orthodox Church," convened most of the pre-conciliar commissions for it in the '80's, much to the credit of Ecumenical Patriarch Dimitrios, of Thrice Blessed Memory.  Haven't heard a word about it in 15 years.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 09:00:54 PM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 09:06:30 PM »

As far as I understand it, the ecumenical councils were called primarily to settle controversial teachings concerning or affecting Orthodox Christology - and the outcomes of those councils are "set in concrete". Beyond that, other matters might be a question of personal belief and are not governed by council degree, but the collective opinions of Church Fathers; ancient and modern. The Orthodox Church doesn't dogmatise each and every possibile theological idea or "new issue" - and therefore we might have varied opinions on matters that are not dogmatic.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 09:08:50 PM by Riddikulus » Logged

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
antiderivative
Elder

Faith: Northeastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: A jurisdiction

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 09:15:04 PM »

There have been several post-Schism councils that would fit under the definition of being ecumenical, but not officially. The Palamite councils in the 14th and 15th century would fall into this category. The Synod of Jerusalem (17th century) dealt with what little Calvinist and Reformed theology there was in the East. Other than that, I don't know of any post-Schism councils on the universal scale dealing with theology. There were many local councils dealing with heresies that were only in certain regions, but I don't know of many universal ones. There were many universal councils held to deal with political issues. One example would be during the Old Rite Schism (Raskol), in 1666 (*GASP* the number of the beast!), where all the patriarchs met in order to "fire" Patriarch Nikon (he wasn't a very nice man). They did affirm his liturgical reforms, because they were already using them anyway!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 09:17:02 PM by antiderivative » Logged

signature
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 10:49:26 PM »

The answer is quite mundane: no more ecumenical councils because there is no more empire.

Councils though continue to occur when needed.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 01:08:16 AM »

The answer is quite mundane: no more ecumenical councils because there is no more empire.

There was an empire when Constantinople IV and V took place in it.  Yet they are not seen as Ecumenical.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 01:11:17 AM »

There have been several post-Schism councils that would fit under the definition of being ecumenical, but not officially. The Palamite councils in the 14th and 15th century would fall into this category. The Synod of Jerusalem (17th century) dealt with what little Calvinist and Reformed theology there was in the East. Other than that, I don't know of any post-Schism councils on the universal scale dealing with theology. There were many local councils dealing with heresies that were only in certain regions, but I don't know of many universal ones. There were many universal councils held to deal with political issues. One example would be during the Old Rite Schism (Raskol), in 1666 (*GASP* the number of the beast!), where all the patriarchs met in order to "fire" Patriarch Nikon (he wasn't a very nice man). They did affirm his liturgical reforms, because they were already using them anyway!

Iasi (Jassy) 1642

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 01:24:15 AM »

There was an empire when Constantinople IV and V took place in it.  Yet they are not seen as Ecumenical.

Probably because the councils were not approved by Rome, while Rome and Constantinople broke communion in the 11th century, it took a while longer for the other patriarchates to do so and a few would enter in and out of communion with Rome for centuries. As one could guess from Balsamon, Zonaras, and Arestenos' writings there was long understanding that an 'oecumenical synod' could not be summoned without the approval of the five patriarchates...thus everyone settled for imperial councils that carried the weight of the Empire, but not necessarily the approval of the entire Christian world.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
orthodoxlurker
Supporter & Defender of Fr Ambrose (Irish Hermit) - banned
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian - NOT a phanariote
Jurisdiction: Serbian Patriarchate under siege

al-Saabir yaraa al-Hurriyah

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 06:13:24 AM »

On the day we proclaim some of post1054 Councils as Ecumenical, we will shut the door for Rome's return. Otherwise, Orthodox could do that already.

Curse the Pope, for he is the root and cause of these disasters! - St. Nektarios of Aegina

You don't get to circumvent your post moderation by calling out the moderators in your signature. ~Veniamin, Global Moderator
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 07:08:35 AM »

Probably because the councils were not approved by Rome, while Rome and Constantinople broke communion in the 11th century, it took a while longer for the other patriarchates to do so and a few would enter in and out of communion with Rome for centuries. As one could guess from Balsamon, Zonaras, and Arestenos' writings there was long understanding that an 'oecumenical synod' could not be summoned without the approval of the five patriarchates...thus everyone settled for imperial councils that carried the weight of the Empire, but not necessarily the approval of the entire Christian world.

That doesn't explain Constantinople IV.

ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 08:59:42 AM »

Wasn't the privileges of Rome 'transferred' to Constantinople? I recently read "You are Peter" by Olivier Clement and I recall him pointing that out in one of the later chapters.

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 09:37:42 AM »

Which councils do you mean specifically as there is a Latin anti-Council of 869.

The 879 council and the Hesychast councils are considered ecumenical by some (such as me).

Other councils were local always though, such as Blacharnae, but its statement of faith is the faith we accept.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Tags: ecumenical councils 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: