OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 06:58:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: donating clothing nonprofit  (Read 860 times) Average Rating: 0
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« on: September 15, 2008, 06:30:00 PM »

There is something that really bothers me, although I do understand the concept of it. I wish to donate my clothes to those that need it, but I don't wish to donate to the Goodwill because that establishment makes people pay for their clothes. I do understand that paying for things lets people keep their dignity, but I would rather just donate my clothes for free. Besides Women's Shelters, does anyone know where we can donate our clothes to people for free? Thanks! Smiley

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 06:43:23 PM »

Actually the price of the clothes goes toward the salary of those that work in their worker retraining program. And they let the people they help choose clothes for free from their stores.

If it isn't business attire there isn't typically programs for donating directly to a clothing bank.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 09:12:03 PM »

You might check if there's a Freecycle for your area.  It's basically a members only list where you offer what you have and someone comes to pick it up.  Everything is free and it goes to whomever you want to give it.  Kind of limits it to anyone with internet access, though.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Moderated
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 10:31:02 PM »

Remember that when you give, you are giving to Christ.  Goodwill has done great work especially around here, the Omaha area and the fact that there is some cost involved shouldn't put you off.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 10:31:38 PM »

There are programs like Dress for Success which collect interview clothes and make said clothes available for low-income women (at no charge) who have job interviews.

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 10:37:42 PM »

My parents often donate to Purple Heart and Amvets.

My wife and I just take our gently used clothing down the street to the local RC church where there's a big blue box in the back for clothes.  From what I understand, the church gets those clothes directly to the poor who need them most.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: