OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 04:18:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Death Magnetic  (Read 1958 times) Average Rating: 0
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« on: September 14, 2008, 11:30:14 PM »

To all the Metallica fans on the forum I just wanted to know what everyone thinks of the new album. Personally I think it is ultimately better compared to the utter failure (in my eyes) of what I have now downgraded to "Blessed Anger", the new album brings back some of the old styles that we all fell in love with and some songs that hold a little more meaning although not their finest but it's great to see they are still in the business after so many years.

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 12:11:40 AM »

I'm really torn with their latest album.  I will agree that it is better than their last few albums, but I haven't found any of the songs to have that lasting power.  One thing I can say is that I was completely disappointed by 'The Unforgiven III'.   Tongue

Haggard's and Metallica's latest albums both came out around the same time, and I find myself listening to Haggard's album a lot more.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 12:15:34 AM by Friul » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 05:24:35 AM »

I have to admit that it doesn't really grab me the way I was hoping it would, though it's probably their best album in 17 years.

Large Marge sent me...
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 12:29:07 PM »

I refuse to buy it.  I've seen Metallica twice in my life and I wish I was older so I could have seen them during the days of Master of Puppets (I was only 10).  But I've been so disappointed with Load, Load II, Sinner Anger (better title and it describes the quality of the songs on there) and such that I'm not going to even bother.

One thing I can say is that I was completely disappointed by 'The Unforgiven III'.   Tongue

There's an Unforgiven III?  Come on!  Are they that strapped for new ideas?  Best call it quits!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 02:53:09 AM »

I have to admit that I've gotten used to the album, and like it more now than I did when I made my last post.  Smiley

Are they that strapped for new ideas?

Actually they have quite a lot of ideas, especially considering that they've been playing for 25 years now.

Large Marge sent me...
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 03:09:19 AM »

Actually they have quite a lot of ideas, especially considering that they've been playing for 25 years now.

That doesn't make them good ideas.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 01:51:29 PM »

Well I, for one, think they're good ideas. But then, I'm one of the few who didn't mind St. Anger (apart from the bad production).

Large Marge sent me...
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 09:45:15 PM »

That doesn't make them good ideas.

I was bored the other night, so I decided to give Death Magnetic another spin and jot down my favorite parts of the album...

The End of the Line - 1:00-1:13 (and throughout song) - Nice riff that sounds similar to the one in the song Ride the Lightning
The End of the Line - 5:15-5:38 - This bridge is one of my favorite guitar bits on the album for some reason
Broken, Beat and Scarred - 4:45-5:00 - The riff I enjoy most in this song, only played once in this song I think
The Day That Never Comes - 4:06-4:36 - One of the headbangable parts on this album IMO
All Nightmare Long - 0:00-0:36 - Love that bass by Trujillo
The Unforgiven III - 5:34-6:36 - I've never been a big fan of Kirk, and this is the only solo I can really get into on this album
The Judas Kiss - 1:44-2:06 (and throughout song) - I really like this pre-chorus
Suicide and Redemption - 0:28-0:40 - The riff I enjoy most in this song, again I think it's only played once (possibly twice)

Large Marge sent me...
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 10:22:25 PM »

It's an uphill climb for me: On the one hand, I'm not happy with the junk from the last album (which I didn't go buy, thankfully - just listened to someone else's); on the other hand, I'm trying to get away from the music that I find to be spiritually counterproductive (I'm failing at it, by the way).  So I didn't get this album, and probably won't unless I'm convinced it's going to be a great investment (which it doesn't seem to be...).
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 10:23:01 PM by cleveland » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
cholmes

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 04:43:54 PM »

Late to the party on this one, but I love the album.  The key is to get your hands on the mix used for Guitar Hero, as it's not compressed and clipped to the point of insanity as the regular release is.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 04:10:50 PM »

There's an Unforgiven III?  Come on!  Are they that strapped for new ideas?  Best call it quits!

Yeah. I dismiss Led Zeppelin IV for the same reason. Come on, you can't come up with an original title!? Must be from lack of creativity.  Tongue Wink

Large Marge sent me...
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 06:54:58 PM »

Yeah. I dismiss Led Zeppelin IV for the same reason. Come on, you can't come up with an original title!? Must be from lack of creativity.  Tongue Wink

lol

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags: music 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: