OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 04:38:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ike and Me  (Read 1580 times) Average Rating: 0
cizinec
High Elder

There ain't no way but the hard way.

« on: September 11, 2008, 06:29:02 PM »

Well, it looks like I'm going to meet Ike tonight or tomorrow.  Hurricane Ike.  I can't say I'm looking forward to it, but I'm inland enough to not have to worry about storm surges. 

Since I make beer, I have quite a few stainless kegs (6) and brewing vessels (?) full of fresh water.

I'm not too worried about physical safety, as I have plenty of beer and, in case of emergency, slivo.  The wee four are with my folks, who are about 20 more miles inland.  The wife and I are hoping the power stays on so that the espresso machine will work.

Don't worry, though, we have a hand grinder and a cezve for Serbian coffee.

Oh, and we have a Sansa player with lots of great music, so that we don't get too board and end up with another kid in 9 months.

We are keeping our nanny, Miss Mossberg, handy.  She has plenty to eat, though we hope we don't have to use her.

Even with all this, we could probably use a few prayers, even though I know a bunch of you silly Yanks don't much like us down here in Texas.

"Brother, your best friend ain't your Momma, it's the Field Artillery."
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 06:46:10 PM »

May the Good Lord keep you and all your fellow Texans safe from harm...

You and yours are in our prayers.

Lord have mercy!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 07:04:26 PM »

Lord have mercy.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 07:15:21 PM »

Lord have mercy!

Cizinec, I didn't know you brew beer! Somewhere in my boxes from my most recent move are all my brewing supplies! Maybe when the huricane season is over we should drink a brew or two in celebration!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 07:21:40 PM »

Lord Have Mercy On all the people in the hurricane's way ,that didn't evacuate...
May the Mantija of the Blessed Mother Of God Cover them and Us with Her Holy Protection..Amen Amen,,SmileyCentral.com" border="0For with God all things are possable.....Amen..
here in illinois the weather is starting to change sky is getting darker from that hurricane....
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 01:52:06 AM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 08:07:46 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 08:19:45 PM »

Lord have mercy.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 01:15:26 AM »

May the Lord have mercy on those in the path of Hurricane Ike.  May the Lord deliver them from Ike's wrath like those who were delivered from Hurricane Gustav's wrath.  Most Holy Theotokos, save the people of coastal Texas.

O Lord, save Thy people and bless Thine inheritance. Grant victory unto Orthodox Christians over their adversaries, and by the virtue of Thy Cross, preserve Thy community.

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 09:35:36 AM »

Lord have mercy!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 10:59:15 AM »

Lord, have mercy on the people who are in the hurricane's way.

Love never fails.
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 01:03:34 PM »

Lord have mercy on everyone in the area.  Over here in Corpus and San Antonio we were expecting a visit from Ike but just a little turn in course of 100 miles has let us off the hook.  I'm watching live news feeds from Houston TV stations and Galveston is already flooding and the waves coming over the seawall look like those incredible shots from Cuba.  Does anyone know anything about storm prep for the Galveston/Houston area Orthodox churches? 

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 01:10:41 PM »

Lord have mercy!

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 04:23:54 PM »

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/feature?section=news/local&id=6102015

If anyone is interested, KTRK in Houston is streaming their Hurricane Ike coverage on the web.  It's 4 hours to landfall and Galveston Island is already flooding with a 22 foot storm surge expected.  The shocking news is that officials believe up to 40% of the island population has chosen to stay!  Crazy, just crazy.  A 22-foot storm surge will probably flood major portions of downtown Houston.  Pray for safety of all the families with children who didn't leave (you certainly can't pray the Lord gives them brains at this point, cause even if they wanted to leave now, the roads off the island are blocked by water).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 04:24:58 PM by TinaG » Logged

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 02:00:00 AM »

Glory to God that the damage in Galveston, from what I've heard, is much less than anticipated.  The eye of the storm made landfall virtually on Galveston Island, sparing the island the full brunt of the storm surge, which hit hardest to the northeast.  The hurricane also did not have the time before landfall to complete the intensification process it had just started, otherwise it would likely have regrown into a Category 4 monster (max sustained winds of 136-155 mph).  Granted, from what I've read, the storm damage is still quite considerable, and the people affected still need our prayers.

Galveston is not destroyed

Although Ike caused heavy damage by flooding Galveston with a 12-foot storm surge, the city escaped destruction thanks to its 15.6-foot sea wall (the wall was built 17 feet high, but has since subsided about 2 feet). The surge was able to flow into Galveston Bay and flood the city from behind, but the wall prevented a head-on battering by the surge from the ocean side. Galveston was fortunate that Ike hit the city head-on, rather than just to the south. Ike’s highest storm surge occurred about 50 miles to the northeast of Galveston, over a lightly-populated stretch of coast. Galveston was also lucky that Ike did not have another 12-24 hours over water. In the 12 hours prior to landfall, Ike’s central pressure dropped 6 mb, and the storm began to rapidly organize and form a new eyewall. If Ike had had another 12-24 hours to complete this process, it would have been a Category 4 hurricane with 135-145 mph winds that likely would have destroyed Galveston. The GFDL model was consistently advertising this possibility, and it wasn’t far off the mark. It was not clear to me until late last night that Ike would not destroy Galveston and kill thousands of people. Other hurricane scientists I conversed with yesterday were of the same opinion.

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/13/following-hurricane-ikes-landfall/index.html?scp=30&sq=Saturday,%20September%2013,%202008&st=cse
cizinec
High Elder

There ain't no way but the hard way.

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 12:32:54 PM »

Well, we made it through okay.  The church just got power back.  I don't know about the Serbian or Greek church in Galveston.  I don't think there are any other Orthodox churches on the island.  I'm sure several have sustained damages and I'll let y'all know as I find out. 

We were unable to go to Liturgy yesteray because of flooding. 

I'm worried about Ss. Constantine and Helen, as their icons were donated by Tsar Nicholas II. 

I'm sure the IOCC will set up some kind of fund for Houston.  When they do we'll probably be donating as well.

"Brother, your best friend ain't your Momma, it's the Field Artillery."
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 10:37:39 PM »

May the Lord give strength and courage to those impacted by Hurricane Ike from Ohio to Texas.
Amen!
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 11:12:12 AM »

Well, we made it through okay. 
Thank God!

I'm worried about Ss. Constantine and Helen, as their icons were donated by Tsar Nicholas II.
Icons can always be written again if they are destroyed, but there will only ever be one cizinec!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
orthodoxlurker
Supporter & Defender of Fr Ambrose (Irish Hermit) - banned
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian - NOT a phanariote
Jurisdiction: Serbian Patriarchate under siege

al-Saabir yaraa al-Hurriyah

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 06:12:22 PM »

Well, we made it through okay. 
Thank God!

Icons can always be written again if they are destroyed, but there will only ever be one cizinec!

Edit:

I just wanted to subscribe to the above ozgeorge's message, and to repeat it. It just didn't need anything to be added.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 06:46:18 PM by orthodoxlurker » Logged

Curse the Pope, for he is the root and cause of these disasters! - St. Nektarios of Aegina

You don't get to circumvent your post moderation by calling out the moderators in your signature. ~Veniamin, Global Moderator
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: