OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 03:35:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Free Mason Patriarch Meletios IV Metaxakis  (Read 2069 times) Average Rating: 0
Dimitrius

Orthodoxy is the way

« on: August 15, 2003, 01:09:21 AM »

While reading through an Orthodox web site, I found the strangest set of facts regarding Free Masonry in the Orthodox Church. It had been widely rumored that the Ecumenical Patriarch  Bartholomew is a Free Mason, but I found no justification for this accusation. However, it seems that this rumor of Free Mason infiltration into the Orthodox Church started because of Ecumenical Patriarch Meletios IV Metaxakis in 1922.

After reading how this Meletios IV Metaxakis was elected Patriarch of Constantinople, then “resigned” the patriarchy for health reason, suddenly nominates himself and becomes the Greek  Patriarch of Alexandria, then he is exiled from that post and finally he has the audacity to nominate himself as Patriarch of Jerusalem. What is going on here? Once Patriarch of a city ALWAYS the patriarch of that city, unless you fall into apostasy or heresy and are replaced. If that did happen then I doubt that one could nominate himself as Patriach to ANOTHER city. How could this man do what he did?

Please read the following link regarding the strange uncanonical  election and let me know your thoughts. I realize that this article is written by Old Calendarist Orthodox, of whom I am one (Church of Jerusalem), but the calendar date is not the issue. I am interested in knowing what you think of Meletios IV Metaxakis and the fact that he was patriarch of two cities, with attempts to a third. Has this ever happened before? Is it canonical?

http://www.sisqtel.net/~williams/whoweare/whoweare.html
« Last Edit: August 15, 2003, 01:16:11 AM by Dimitrius » Logged
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2003, 09:15:08 AM »

Dimitrius,

Meletios was Archbishop of Athens first.  He was kicked out of Greece during the spat between the PM and the king.  He became Patriarch of Constantinople but the Turks kicked him out.  So then he ended up in Alexandria.

Go to our articles page http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/articles/index.html and read the article "The Ecumenical Patriarchate under the Turkish...." for more details of some of this.

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: