OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 01:37:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any suggestions?  (Read 7886 times) Average Rating: 5
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2008, 08:40:47 PM »

The Heather book deals with sperm donors and IVF/IUI. Which is not an easy subject to broach with a kid when they haven't learned
1)What sperm is
2)Where sperm comes from
3)How sperm would normally travel to get the mommy pregnant
4)How the sperm donor is not a parent to the child even though most kids call the person that contributed sperm their father.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 08:43:22 PM by Quinault » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2008, 08:46:41 PM »

As an aside, a great book on adoption without obviously being about adoption is; "A Mother for Choco."

It is all about how one doesn't have to give birth to a child, or even look like them to love them and raise them as their own.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2008, 08:57:31 PM »

Sigh. I did not say they need to know about homosexuality, or heterosexuality for that matter. I said they need to know that other people's families are different: Some have a mommy and a stepdaddy, some have a daddy and a stepmommy, some have two grandparents, and some have two mommies. Seriously, I have better luck getting through to my teenagers.

No, you stated:
"That's because she does. Do you really think your kids are never going to meet anyone with a family like that?"
Exactly. I said that because children are likely to meet someone who really does have two mommies, they ought to get used to the idea.

You didn't mention grandparents, step parents, single parents or any other combination.
Actually, I did. Two posts before yours. And they should learn about those too.

As far as different types of families, there are much, much better books out there on the subject than the Heather one.
Cool. Let's use those.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

lolcat addict

« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2008, 08:45:00 AM »

Yeah, I think going through the whole IVF procedure is a little much.  That would be something I would explain to a twelve year old, not so much a 2-3 year old. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2008, 12:44:11 PM »

Mr. Y, is your forum age completely inaccurate? Because in 2003 you would have been 18. How would they let you teach in a HS, Middle school, or even Elementry school when you are 18?

And what kind of advanced 0-6 year olds do you have in your classes? Or are you counting sunday school? Because generally there isn't any chance of discussing divorce, remarriage, homosexuality, sex and the like in Sunday school. Typically that isn't part of the curriculum. And if you do discuss those things with the kids you ought to be pulled out of teaching in church real fast.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 12:45:20 PM by Quinault » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2008, 12:46:46 PM »

Maybe you taught at a preschool/kindergarten while in college?
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2008, 12:50:59 PM »

Yeah, I think going through the whole IVF procedure is a little much.  That would be something I would explain to a twelve year old, not so much a 2-3 year old. 

I already have had to talk to my eldest about fertility treatments like IUI, Clomid and IVF. John and Kate plus 8 is a favorite show of hers. And she wanted to know how that mommy had 6 kids at once!

We also have dealt with adoption since she had twin baby boy cousins close to her sister Witalu's age (she is three) for about 2 months before my ex-SIL announced she was divorcing my BIL and they had to take the kids back to the adoption agency. So those boys aren't her cousins anymore, even though they once were. That was not an easy conversation let me tell you!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 12:52:18 PM by Quinault » Logged
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2008, 12:59:37 PM »

In my mind, if any person was ever part of my family, they still are.  I don't know how it works with adoptions and if the former family is even allowed to still see those kiddos, but I would still call them cousins. 

By the way, Mr. Y is counting his student teaching as having taught since they pretty much give him control of the classroom and the actual teachers observe him teaching from the sidelines.  He doesn't teach Sunday school.  He has tutored since he was 14, I believe, so he's had experience with kids of every age from early on.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2008, 01:09:43 PM »

No, my kids will never see those two again. It has been about 2 years since this occured. The boys were about 4mths old when this happened and they have been adopted out to another family already.

I haven't seen much tutoring of the 0-6 age range. Some tutoring with the 4-6 age range occurs, but that is usually called "therapy" and that is taught by certified teachers and OT's around here. You have to have at least a Masters to be an OT. And tutors wouldn't have to talk to kids about things like sex, marriage and the like. You tutor on subjects. A tutor is not called a teacher unless they work for an organization that requires them to have a teaching certificate around here, like KUMON or the like.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 01:12:47 PM by Quinault » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2008, 01:10:57 PM »

A student teacher in their first year shouldn't be given free reign of a class. What kind of college did he go to?
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2008, 01:14:01 PM »

I tutored kids ages 6-10 at a Boys and Girls Club when I was 14-16 while working in the HAK program, but I wouldn't call that teaching.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 01:14:44 PM by Quinault » Logged
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2008, 01:18:01 PM »

^I'm going to let him answer those questions as I only know a little bit about his teaching experiences.  In any case, I don't think his credentials have much to do with the OP.  Wink

Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2008, 01:19:49 PM »

The teaching programs I am aware of don't allow student teaching until at least the 3-4th years. You have to get a great deal of classes out of the way before they let you near kids here.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2008, 01:20:28 PM »

^I'm going to let him answer those questions as I only know a little bit about his teaching experiences.  In any case, I don't think his credentials have much to do with the OP.  Wink

Well it has bearing to my mind since he said he teaches 0-6 year olds. Maybe he is talking about your daughter? If so he can say he has experience teaching birth to nearly one, not 0-6.

It goes to my mid towards his credibility if he is claiming to have taught since 2003. If he is counting student teaching and tutoring then he is overinflating his teaching experience. You don't have teaching credentials as soon as you enroll in a teaching program. And if he were filling out a job application and listed 2003 as his first year of teaching he would be considered a liar.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 01:30:20 PM by Quinault » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2008, 01:21:20 PM »

Do you teach children from the ages of 0-6?
Yes, not that that's relevant.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2008, 01:31:32 PM »

I only spent one semester in education classes so I never got as far as student teaching, but I believe here in some universities they try to get the would-be teacher into class ASAP to have as much experience as possible.  My alma mater Southwest Baptist University has an alternative certification program so that you could be hired by a school and concurrently enrolled in classes.  I briefly considered that before I decided I would rather jab hot forks into my eyes than be in a classroom full of teenagers all day.

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2008, 01:34:02 PM »

^I'm going to let him answer those questions as I only know a little bit about his teaching experiences. 

That didn't come up on the 2nd Date?   angel

In any case, I don't think his credentials have much to do with the OP.  Wink

I concur; The discussion has deviated way off topic.  I'd like my son to only watch Vintage Tom & Jerry, Bugs Bunny, Woddy Woodpecker in an ideal world.  Worked for me.   Wink
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2008, 01:36:08 PM »

In my opinion if he overstated his teaching experience he lied. And if he lied about that, then his credibility is shot with me. How would I know when he is telling the truth in the future? If he lied about an insignificant thing to make himself appear more experienced than he is, then he would lie about larger things. Trust and credibility are precious things, they are not quickly accumulated back after their loss.

edited: bad period usage that made the sentance unreadable.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 01:41:12 PM by Quinault » Logged
Mickey
OC.net guru

Faith: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2008, 01:37:16 PM »

The context of this thread is television programming for young children. You are stating that kids need to learn about homosexuality. I am saying that it needs to wait until they are older.
I agree with you.  Smiley
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2008, 01:50:47 PM »

That didn't come up on the 2nd Date?   angel

LOL!!!  Well... I think he brought it up the second time I saw him ever, but not in any great detail.   laugh

I concur; The discussion has deviated way off topic.  I'd like my son to only watch Vintage Tom & Jerry, Bugs Bunny, Woddy Woodpecker in an ideal world.  Worked for me.   Wink

You know, I grew up on Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies and the like and I think that was just fine.  People complain that it's too violent but I never had an anvil lying around to drop on anyone anyway. LOL

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2008, 06:37:02 PM »

Mr. Y, is your forum age completely inaccurate? Because in 2003 you would have been 18. How would they let you teach in a HS, Middle school, or even Elementry school when you are 18?
That was my methods practicum, my first student teaching experience. And I was a third-year student, not a first. I started college when I was sixteen.

And what kind of advanced 0-6 year olds do you have in your classes? Or are you counting sunday school? Because generally there isn't any chance of discussing divorce, remarriage, homosexuality, sex and the like in Sunday school. Typically that isn't part of the curriculum. And if you do discuss those things with the kids you ought to be pulled out of teaching in church real fast.
I don't discuss sex in my classes. Period. I do discuss families. Believe it or not, it is possible to discuss families without discussing sex.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2008, 06:38:55 PM »

Well it has bearing to my mind since he said he teaches 0-6 year olds. Maybe he is talking about your daughter? If so he can say he has experience teaching birth to nearly one, not 0-6.
Now that I look at it again, I can see that I misread your question. I have taught children of that age in the past; I do not currently (except my daughter of course).

Tags: television video witchcraft language Magic children and homosexuality 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: