OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 05:02:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I  (Read 8039 times) Average Rating: 0
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2008, 01:35:46 AM »

Acolyte,

As an Oriental Orthodox, I obviously disagree with much of what the Old Calendarists have to say.  However, I still address them politely and I would never call them the things you are calling them.  Please try to express your views a little more politely.

I am especially offended by your calling Fr. Anastasios by his first name, rather than using "Fr." in front of it.  Maybe it's an Oriental Orthodox hang-up, but that sort of thing is very rude.  At least it is in my Church.  Please address clergy appropriately, even when you disagree with them or their Church.  

I have to say that Fr. Anastasios has been considerably more polite and respectful toward the Oriental Orthodox and others on this board than many of the New Calendarists here have been.  He deserves a little more respect from others.

Acolyte

Faith: The One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Jurisdictionalism is sin.

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2008, 01:38:05 AM »

What I mean is that you can report me to a mod at any time. It's the Old Calendarist movement which has shown a lack of love to the rest of Orthodoxy. If my wife shaves her legs, is she a "heretic" too? I will refer to him as Father Anastasios if that will avoid hurting his feelings. As an American citizen, he has a right to his lifestyle choice. Please avoid, however, accusing the Ecumenical Patriarch of heresy or some other foolishness.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 01:40:17 AM by Acolyte » Logged
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2008, 01:40:47 AM »

What I mean is that you can report me to a mod at any time. It's the Old Calendarist movement which has shown a lack of love to the rest of Orthodoxy. If my wife shaves her legs, is she a "heretic" too? I will refer to him as Father Anastasios if that will avoid hurting his feelings. As an American citizen, he has a right to his lifestyle choice. Please avoid, however, accusing the Ecumenical Patriarch of heresy or some other foolishness.

I prefer not to know about your wife's sanitary practices and lifestyle choices.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 01:41:39 AM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Acolyte

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2008, 01:41:41 AM »

I prefer not to know about your wife's sanitary practices.

According to Old Calendarists, women who shave their legs are whores. They will cite the church fathers to substantiate such an absurd claim.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2008, 01:44:41 AM »

According to Old Calendarists, women who shave their legs are whores. They will cite the church fathers to substantiate such an absurd claim.

Citation?

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2008, 01:45:25 AM »

What I mean is that you can report me to a mod at any time.

Just FYI, I would not need to report you to a moderator. I am 1/2 the owner of this site. If I wanted you gone, I could nix you in a second.

Please Buy My Book!

Acolyte

« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2008, 01:47:03 AM »

Citation?

All I can tell you is what I've seen on Old Calendarist forums. It's not like I take Old Calendarists seriously enough to read their books. Have you ever actually read the Book of Mormon?
Acolyte

« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2008, 01:48:08 AM »

Citation?

Then thank you for your charity, my brother in Christ. Your involvement in a cult movement does nothing to remove my respect for you for being a human being.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2008, 01:48:58 AM »

Citation?

All I can tell you is what I've seen on Old Calendarist forums. It's not like I take Old Calendarists seriously enough to read their books. Have you ever actually read the Book of Mormon?

Eh, that's not authoritative enough for me--"it's in" "our forums." Alright....
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 01:49:37 AM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Acolyte

« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2008, 01:50:44 AM »

Whatever theological disagreements we have can be worked out after communion is restored.

It would be nice if the differences could be worked out before communion is restored. 

In an ideal world, that would be true. Sometimes, it's best to kiss and make up before we resolve theological disputes, especially if we share the same faith in the Ecumenical Councils.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2008, 01:51:10 AM »

Citation?

Then thank you for your charity, my brother in Christ. Your involvement in a cult movement does nothing to remove my respect for you for being a human being.

Eh, now you try to play "nice." I'm not buying it. Time for this cultist to go to bed.

Please Buy My Book!

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2008, 01:57:30 AM »

Citation?

You use "brother in Christ" and "cult" in the same post (that is not to mention that the use of "brother" to a priest is considered very rude where I come from).  But assuming you mean nice, how can someone who's part of a cult be your brother in Christ?

God bless.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Acolyte

« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2008, 01:59:13 AM »

Citation?

Eh, now you try to play "nice." I'm not buying it. Time for this cultist to go to bed.

Honestly, I dig what you've done in making this forum, despite your questionable affiliation. How many other forums have all Eastern Christian groups represented, with at least the attempt that they discuss in peace? Thank you for creating it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 01:59:34 AM by Acolyte » Logged
Acolyte

« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2008, 02:01:17 AM »

Citation?

You use "brother in Christ" and "cult" in the same post (that is not to mention that the use of "brother" to a priest is considered very rude where I come from).  But assuming you mean nice, how can someone who's part of a cult be your brother in Christ?

God bless.

Since, if I'm not mistaken, Orthodoxy doesn't hold to sacerdotalism, we are all brothers and sisters in Christ. All church members are equal, despite living different vocations. Despite Father Anastasios belonging to a cult, he is still a Christian. He is not totally lost. I have no right to question his salvation.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 02:03:14 AM by Acolyte » Logged
Acolyte

« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2008, 02:07:34 AM »

I agree with you that his ecumenical activity has been very encouraging. He has held on to the essential beliefs of his faith while engaging others with a very gracious and irenic approach.

It's a sad day in history when only a Roman Catholic shows respect for the Ecumenical Patriarch on an Eastern Orthodox forum. Not that I mean disrespect to the Roman Church or its membership, which has been very friendly and Christ-like to Orthodoxy since Vatican II.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2008, 02:09:24 AM »

Since, if I'm not mistaken, Orthodoxy doesn't hold to sacerdotalism, we are all brothers and sisters in Christ. All church members are equal, despite living different vocations. Despite Father Anastasios belonging to a cult, he is still a Christian. He is not totally lost. I have no right to question his salvation.

I'm sure ideally I can call even HAH my brother in Christ in a personal way.  But practically and face-to-face, I would feel uneasy to even say "God bless you" to a priest.  To a priest, I would say "Remember me in your prayers."  I'd ask that he would pray to God to bless me.

But if you can go and call your own priest "brother in Christ" then I take back what I said.  Maybe your culture is different than mine.  If you feel good about calling a fellow Muslim "brother in Christ," even though they may be a brother, just not "in Christ," and you define "brother in Christ" differently than I do, then knock yourself out.

God bless.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 02:12:44 AM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
minasoliman
Toumarches

« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2008, 02:10:38 AM »

I agree with you that his ecumenical activity has been very encouraging. He has held on to the essential beliefs of his faith while engaging others with a very gracious and irenic approach.

It's a sad day in history when only a Roman Catholic shows respect for the Ecumenical Patriarch on an Eastern Orthodox forum. Not that I mean disrespect to the Roman Church or its membership, which has been very friendly and Christ-like to Orthodoxy since Vatican II.

Perhaps we can learn from him and show the same respect to His Reverence Fr. Anastasios.

stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2008, 02:19:35 AM »

I don't trust rome and never will,,,,the pope say's one thing does something else we have to watch our back's......SmileyCentral.com" border="0Note: these quote boxes Are confusing ,,,
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 02:22:33 AM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2008, 02:20:54 AM »

How do you define sacerdotalism?  As I understand the term, the Orthodox Church holds totally to sacerdotalism.  Maybe the priest doesn't stand as a mediator between God and man such that we can only access God through a priest, but the priest (technically the bishop, who delegates his authority to his priests) is the minister of the sacramental Mysteries by which we enter into communion with Christ.
Acolyte

« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2008, 02:21:42 AM »

I'm sure ideally I can call even HAH my brother in Christ in a personal way.  But practically and face-to-face, I would feel uneasy to even say "God bless you" to a priest.  To a priest, I would say "Remember me in your prayers."  I'd ask that he would pray to God to bless me.

But if you can go and call your own priest "brother in Christ" then I take back what I said.  Maybe your culture is different than mine.  If you feel good about calling a fellow Muslim "brother in Christ," even though they may be a brother, just not "in Christ," and you define "brother in Christ" differently than I do, then knock yourself out.

God bless.

I don't mean to disresprect you by disagreeing with your practices. The Coptic Church is, after all, the true and historical Church of Egypt.
Acolyte

« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2008, 02:26:21 AM »

How do you define sacerdotalism?  As I understand the term, the Orthodox Church holds totally to sacerdotalism.  Maybe the priest doesn't stand as a mediator between God and man such that we can only access God through a priest, but the priest (technically the bishop, who delegates his authority to his priests) is the minister of the sacramental Mysteries by which we enter into communion with Christ.

Sacerdotalism is the belief that priests are on a higher spiritual level and are unaccountable merely for being priests. In rejecting this practice, Martin Luther referred to Eastern Orthodoxy as Christendom's "better half."
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2008, 02:26:21 AM »

I don't trust rome and never will,,,,the pope say's one thing does something else we have to watch our back's......
We know how you feel about Rome.  Why do you feel the need to keep reminding us whenever someone gives you the chance?
Acolyte

« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2008, 02:28:31 AM »

I don't trust rome and never will,,,,the pope say's one thing does something else we have to watch our back's......SmileyCentral.com" border="0Note: these quote boxes Are confusing ,,,

Which pope? Such men of impeccable character as John Paul II and Benedict XVI? No, not them! Not the pope who was responsible for freeing millions of Orthodox Christians from communist rule! Oh, no!

http://www.religion-cults.com/pope/communism.htm

If you've never even heard of Leck Walesa, please don't post in my threads. Ever.

My grandfather fought in the Greek resistance against the communists and the Nazis. Did yours? No? Then please don't try to educate me on Orthodoxy.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 02:34:04 AM by Acolyte » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2008, 02:33:20 AM »

I suppose we all know that our friend, Acolyte, is really an RC who wants to unify with Orthodoxy once he feels that Orthodoxy has destroyed itself with scandals and inneuendos as the infallible Popes look the other way at tens of thousands of permanently victimized children and adults plus a million dead Serbs thanks to the Ustashi.

While I now realize that Acolyte was talking about Lubeltri rather than himself, Acolyte's posts basically give himself away as someone who's going after all kinds of Orthodoxy.

Jesus was tempted with all the world's kingdoms from Satan and refused.  Hopefully, Your favorite Patriarch will refuse the invitation from Rome.  I will not stoop to your level and say a bad word against Rome.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 02:36:15 AM by SolEX01 » Logged
Acolyte

« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2008, 02:35:04 AM »

I suppose we all know that our friend, Acolyte, is really an RC who wants to unify with Orthodoxy once he feels that Orthodoxy has destroyed itself with scandals and inneuendos as the infallible Popes look the other way at tens of thousands of permanently victimized children and adults plus a million dead Serbs thanks to the Ustashi.

Jesus was tempted with all the world's kingdoms from Satan and refused.  Hopefully, Your favorite Patriarch will refuse the invitation from Rome.  I will not stoop to your level and say a bad word against Rome.

If you accuse me of being a closeted Roman Catholic, you are being foolish. Unlike other members of this forum, I happen to have respect for the Ecumenical Patriarch, not just for his office but his remarkable life.

My grandfather fought in the Greek resistance against the communists and the Nazis. Did yours? No? Then please don't try to educate me on Orthodoxy.

Thank you and have a nice day.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 02:37:33 AM by Acolyte » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2008, 02:37:59 AM »

If you accuse me of being a closeted Roman Catholic, you are being foolish. Unlike other members of this forum, I happen to have respect for the Ecumenical Patriarch, not just for his office but his remarkable life.

If you hate Orthodoxy so much, I'm sure Rome would love to have you in their corner.  If you feel that Rome is more Orthodox, why waste your time here - that would be foolishness.
Acolyte

« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2008, 02:39:50 AM »

If you hate Orthodoxy so much, I'm sure Rome would love to have you in their corner.  If you feel that Rome is more Orthodox, why waste your time here - that would be foolishness.

You hate Orthodoxy if you demonstrate an entire lack of regard for the Ecumenical Patriarch. It's amazing what he's been able to accomplish despite persecution. Thank you and have a nice day.

Rome is not Orthodox, Rome is Roman Catholic. That doesn't mean, however, that they are alien enough to us to prevent a restoration of communion. That's at least the position of the Ecumenical Patriarch, SCOBA, seminaries, etc. etc. etc.

Didn't I tell you to not post on this thread unless you've heard of Leck Walesa? Please open a history book. Orthodoxy and willful ignorance are not one in the same, no matter what grandmothers in 19th century Russia might tell you.

Unless you are an admin, I'd prefer Old Calendarist cult members to not post on my threads. My family has been Orthodox for hundreds of years. Has yours?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 02:48:03 AM by Acolyte » Logged
minasoliman
Toumarches

« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2008, 02:42:21 AM »

God bless.

I don't mean to disresprect you by disagreeing with your practices. The Coptic Church is, after all, the true and historical Church of Egypt.

It's okay.  I'm not upset.  I'm just perplexed.  I understand that in the Eastern Orthodox tradition, you start in addressing to the priest "Father, bless."  I think in a similar way, he's no ordinary "brother," but a father chosen and ordained and given the divine responsibility to loose and bind, while we as lower in order are ordered to forgiven "seventy seven times seven times."

I'm not saying one is to believe that a priest is in a higher spiritual state or unaccountable.  But we do acknowledge his higher order in the mystery of priesthood that deserves respect.  This is only our way of respecting such order.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2008, 02:44:07 AM »

If you've never even heard of Leck Walesa, please don't post in my threads. Ever.
This isn't your thread just because you started it.  Anyone is free to post on this thread, and the management of this forum reserves the right to lock this thread to keep you from continuing it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 02:46:28 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Acolyte

« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2008, 02:45:47 AM »

This isn't your thread just because you started it.

Showing a complete lack of regard for the amazing good things that Roman Catholics have done for us is absurd and unworthy of my time.
Acolyte

« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2008, 02:47:35 AM »

This isn't your thread just because you started it.  Anyone is free to post on this thread, and the management of this forum reserves the right to lock this thread to keep you from continuing it.

If locking this thread is what keeps others from disrespecting the Ecumenical Patriarch on an Eastern Orthodox forum, so be it.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2008, 02:47:46 AM »

Thank you and have a nice day.

I've heard the stories from my father; I'm not going to share them here or anywhere else.  That was a sick time.  We're past that.  A Priest/Hierarch who abuses his liturgical obligations will be dealt with on a timeframe you, I or anyone else has no control over.

So, your grandfather must have been a Royalist (by process of elimination) if he fought the Communists and the Nazis.  You slam Father Anastasios' Jurisdiction even though his Jurisdiction started during the Royalist era in Greece.  You slam the OCA for being a wild child not deserving of autocephaly.  You defend the EP because you see Him as a vestige of an Empire that has no business existing in today's Geopolitical structure.

So, go back to Rome and pray that Rome merges with the EP.  You will then have the religious portion of the Roman Empire reunited, East and West.  Go for it and I hope that makes you feel better and stops you from taking cheap shots at Orthodoxy.   Shocked
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2008, 02:48:31 AM »

Showing a complete lack of regard for the amazing good things that Roman Catholics have done for us is absurd and unworthy of my time.
You've said this how many times?  We've responded how many times by telling you that you don't have to post here?  Yet you continue to post here.  Why?  Do you have a masochistic streak or something?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 02:48:57 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2008, 02:53:49 AM »

This thread is going absolutely nowhere except to fuel Acolyte's passions, so it will be locked pending the review of this board's moderator, Pravoslavbob, or the review of ozgeorge or Fr. Chris.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 02:54:24 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Tags: filioque Trolls Old Calendarists ecumenism spiritual pride Old Calendarist cult members Magic underpants Double standards hypocrisy 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: