OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 09:21:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Various Greek Liturgical Practices  (Read 2307 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr. Savvas

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Holy Metropolis GOC of America

« on: September 08, 2008, 11:20:31 AM »

Is there anyone who is familiar with specific details regarding various Greek liturgical practices for instance, in St. George's Cathedral in the Phanar, on the Holy Mountain and in the Patriarchate of Jerusalem?
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 12:47:08 PM »

Father, welcome to the forum and just out of curiousity, why do you ask?  All 3 places perform the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom and since 2 of the 3 are Patriarchal Sees, they recite the diptychs for all Orthodox Churches in Communion with the respected Patriarch.  As for the Holy Mountain, I think they commemorate the leaders of each Monastic Unit in their diptychs and the Orthodox Churches in Communion as well.
Fr. Savvas

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 02:07:12 PM »

I want to learn about very minute details for instance is it
Δι΄ ευχών των Αγίων πατέρων ημών, Κύριε Ιησού Χριστέ ο Θεός ημών, ελέησον και σώσον ημάς.

or is it

Δι΄ ευχών των Αγίων πατέρων ημών, Κύριε Ιησού Χριστέ ο Θεός, ελέησον και σώσον ημάς.

or is it

Δι΄ ευχών των Αγίων πατέρων ημών, Κύριε Ιησού Χριστέ ο Θεός, ελέησον ημάς.

or is it

Δι΄ ευχών των Αγίων πατέρων ημών, Κύριε Ιησού Χριστέ ο Θεός ημών, ελέησον ημάς.

At the end of the απόλυσις is it

ως αγαθός και φιλάνθωπος

or

ως αγαθός και φιλάνθωπος  και ελεήμων  Θεός

and many other such questions.

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 02:30:21 PM »

Call up the phanar and patriachate of Jerusalem and ask?  And the Friends of Mt. Athos http://abacus.bates.edu/~rallison/friends/ may be able to help.

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 02:30:51 PM »

Father, I usually hear the 2nd form:

Δι΄ ευχών των Αγίων πατέρων ημών, Κύριε Ιησού Χριστέ ο Θεός, ελέησον και σώσον ημάς

I also hear the 2nd form:

ως αγαθός και φιλάνθωπος  και ελεήμων  Θεός

With all due respect, I think your Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom service book answers all questions.   Smiley

Fr. Savvas

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 02:58:14 PM »

Which liturgical book, since they all say something different? I understand perfectly well that these minute details are nonessential, I just wondered if anyone knew anything about the various practices.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 03:05:24 PM »

With all due respect, I think your Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom service book answers all questions.   Smiley

Which edition? Smiley

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 03:08:08 PM »

Father A. and Father S. - any liturgical book published by your Jurisdiction (for starters), if one is published?   Wink
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 03:15:17 PM »

Father A. and Father S. - any liturgical book published by your Jurisdiction (for starters), if one is published?   Wink

We know what to do in our jurisdiction. We are curious about other practices. There are for instance service books published by the EP from 1950 and I believe 1979 that have differences between each other.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 03:15:41 PM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 03:28:27 PM »

We know what to do in our jurisdiction. We are curious about other practices. There are for instance service books published by the EP from 1950 and I believe 1979 that have differences between each other.

I know someone else already suggested calling.  How difficult would it be to call someone (or drop by) and ask to review a Service Book, remembering that I'm very naive and do not believe in the status quo.   Wink
Elpidophoros
Elder

Faith: OX

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 10:14:01 AM »

If I do not make mistake,accoring to Prof.Ioannis Foundoulis,without "kai soson imas"and "kai eleimon Theos" is more correct.
But I think such thing more depends on priest personally than jurisdictionally...
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: