OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 12:29:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Discussions on the need of Antimens or Antimension  (Read 2918 times) Average Rating: 3
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« on: September 07, 2008, 02:05:45 AM »

No DL by a priest can be celebrated except by permission of the bishop, signified by his bestowal of the antimens "instead of the table," i.e. altar i.e. the Bishop's altar.

Do the Bishops need an antimens to celebrate on their own altars, or is their presence enough?

When the bishop visits, does the priest still need to have his antimens, or is the bishop's presence enough?

And if any OO are lurking, do you have antimens?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 06:26:40 PM »

Do the Bishops need an antimens to celebrate on their own altars, or is their presence enough?
When the bishop visits, does the priest still need to have his antimens, or is the bishop's presence enough?

Just curious - why do you ask?

Here's a definition of antimens from an OCA Church Website in Ohio:

It is a rectangular piece of cloth with representations of the entombment of Christ, the four Evangelists, and scriptural passages related to the Eucharist. The antimens must be consecrated by the head of the church and always lie on the Altar Table. No sacrament, especially the Divine Liturgy, can be performed without a consecrated antimens.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 06:30:36 PM by SolEX01 » Logged
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 08:50:23 PM »

I would think they need one to celebrate a liturgy, but it's probably their own, or perhaps their predecessor's. I do not know, canonically speaking; however, I would doubt if they do need "antimines" (sp), from their synod or from the first hierarch of a synod, given their authority within their diocese, i.e. "Icon of Christ," and because they create them for their parishes after church consecretions, signing their name to them.  When the bishop visits one of his parishes, he uses the "antimines" that are on that parish's Holy Table."
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 08:54:24 PM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
alexp4uni
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: kinda practicing theist
Jurisdiction: ecumenical kind

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 11:06:44 PM »

It seems that the Syriac Church have used an antimension flowing from the altar as a way to properly set the Diskos and Chalice on top of it. Though the Syriac and Indian form of altars differ due to the Portugese influencing the Indians in Latin styles Step altars. It would be the Syrians that have a square box with pillars on top of it . In any form of the altar the antimension is properly shown (or not properly shown due to the priest being in front of it) on top of it displaying the mysteries during the exclaimation of an Anaphora while being covering in a white veil. So in some sense the cloth is used as some type of "icon" or fancy piece when the Curtain is open. Also the antimension is needed for artificially temporary altars as well. Whether its needed for consecration I dont know.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 11:12:23 PM by alexp4uni » Logged
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 12:07:42 AM »

The liturgical rite that is in use today requires an antimens in order to be served properly. So why theological and technically a Bishop doesn't need an atimension, the rite dictates the necessity of an antimension.

Joseph
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 01:33:11 AM »

Just curious - why do you ask?

For the first question, it came up during an discussion on the difference in the conception of priesthood between the Orthodox (and I guess, but don't know those of the East under the Vatican) and the Latin church.  They conceive of a priest being seperate from their bishop: hence, for instance a defrocked can validly, but illicitely (to use their terms) say mass.  Ours cannot.
On the last question, just want to know.

Fixed quote tags to make post more readable...  nothing more...  -PtA
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 04:45:33 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 01:36:06 AM »

The liturgical rite that is in use today requires an antimens in order to be served properly. So why theological and technically a Bishop doesn't need an atimension, the rite dictates the necessity of an antimension.
My priest told me today that the bishop does when he visits, just because all antimens here are from the metropolitan.  When the latter visits, no, he doesnt' need one.

arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 04:26:20 PM »

My priest told me today that the bishop does when he visits, just because all antimens here are from the metropolitan.  When the latter visits, no, he doesnt' need one.
Well your priest is wrong, I just served with your Metropolitian yesterday and he did indeed use an antimens with his own signature. Like I said before the Byzantine rite of Litrugy requires the use of an antimens in order to be served correctly.

Joseph
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 10:34:19 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ !

I was wondering if a church had a holy table that contained the relics of a saint would they still HAVE TO use the Antimension.

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 10:54:56 PM »

According to Fr Thomas Hopko:

http://www.oca.org/OCchapter.asp?SID=2&ID=44
On the altar table one always finds the antimension. This is the cloth depicting Christ in the tomb which contains the signature of the bishop and is the permission for the local community to gather as the Church. "Antimension" means literally "instead of the table." Since the bishop is the proper pastor of the Church, the antimension is used instead of the bishop's own table which is, obviously, in his own church building, the cathedral -- the place where the bishop has his chair (cathedra).

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Tags: bishops altar 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: