OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 04:43:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ROCOR vs EP  (Read 23770 times) Average Rating: 0
Kukla

« on: August 13, 2003, 09:36:33 PM »

I have a question for those ROCOR and those under the EP-

If you are in ROCOR, why are you in ROCOR? What keeps you there? Why is ROCOR 'better' than the GOA, OCA, etc.? Is it 'better'? Would you attend a non-ROCOR church for services? Do you believe that the churches under the EP have Grace? If you are in a church under the EP, do you believe ROCOR is schismatic? Do you believe that they have Grace? Would you go to a ROCOR church for services? Do you believe that ROCOR is prideful in its position against communion with EP churches? If you are in ROCOR, how would you react if a friend of yours (in ROCOR) went to the GOA, OCA, etc?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I am REALLY curious about all of them. I would ask them on another site, but this site is the friendliest of them all, and I am hoping that we won't get into any heated debates. Thank you in advance for your answers!!
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2003, 10:17:34 PM »

You seem to be mixing up things a bit.  Not all churches in communion with the EP are "under" the EP.  So the OCA and the GOA are different in this regard.  

If you mean "in communion with the EP" and not only "under the EP" I can respond as I am OCA.  If you really mean "under the EP" others will have to respond, like GOA, ACROD, etc.  

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
Kukla

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2003, 10:19:06 PM »

Sorry about that... I did mean in communion with the EP.
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2003, 10:32:11 PM »

If you are in a church under the EP, do you believe ROCOR is schismatic?

I am in GOA and I do not believe that ROCOR is schismatic. I see no reason that they should have to go back under the MP. Based on history, I think they have very good reasons for not going back under the MP.

Do you believe that they have Grace? Would you go to a ROCOR church for services? Do you believe that ROCOR is prideful in its position against communion with EP churches?

Yes, they have Grace. I would definitely go to a ROCOR church for services. Prideful? Unfortunately, yes. But then again, I believe that is a major reason why they survived.
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2003, 10:32:55 PM »

If you are in a church under the EP, do you believe ROCOR is schismatic? Do you believe that they have Grace? Would you go to a ROCOR church for services? Do you believe that ROCOR is prideful in its position against communion with EP churches?

Schismatic?  Yes.

Grace?  Yes.

Merely go and pray with other Orthodox Christians (ROCOR ones)?  Yes and I have.

I don't know if it is prideful or not, division of this sort is tragic and to be lamented and I pray for an end to it.

I can't make any accusation of pride.

I hoped for a change in the situation after the fall of the USSR.  One must take into consideration the chaos after 1917 and the history up to the formation of the ROCOR.

I'll see you when yo
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2003, 10:36:32 PM »

I am in GOA and I do not believe that ROCOR is schismatic.

ROCOR is not in communion with the EP (hence the GOA), for you how can ROCOR not be schismatic?

I know all about the JP (and Serbia) argument but I don't buy that as sufficient.

I'll see you when yo
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2003, 10:50:55 PM »

'Cause it depends on th REASON that they are not in communion with the EP.  

And IMHO, the reason why they are not has nothing to do with religion, but has everything to do with power and money.

My understanding (and I certainly may be wrong) is that they believe in the same sacraments, creed.. etc.

So why are they schismatic? Because they do not want to go back under the MP. I don't blame them for that.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2003, 10:52:40 PM »

How can ROCOR be schismatic when it is in union with the JP and Serbia?  The EP is not the criterion for Orthodoxy--if it were then the MP would have been schismatic when in Feb 1996 it broke communion with Constantinople for 30 days.

I do not believe any Orthodox bishop in America believes ROCOR to be schismatic.  The history of ROCOR prevents such a designation.  Its communion with canonical Churches prevents it from being so as well.

Just my opinion.

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Kukla

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2003, 10:53:05 PM »

Do you look at ROAC and ROCiE and those groups as schismatic? They have the same creed, sacraments, etc.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2003, 10:53:32 PM »

Tony,

Just as part of the argument, do you believe the OCA was schismatic prior to 1971?

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2003, 10:55:58 PM »

My diocese is under the EP.

I have read a bit about ROCOR and how it got its start during the tumultuous days of the Bolshevik Revolution in Russia, or rather in fleeing that revolution. The history is extremely confusing and complex and would be difficult for someone much more well versed in canon law than I am to disentangle.

I see ROCOR as Orthodox. I have attended ROCOR services. I respect its people and clerics and their stand for the Orthodox faith.

How does one define schism exactly? Is a temporary interruption in inter-communion a schism?

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2003, 10:59:40 PM »

The EP is schismatic from ROCOR, and not the other way around.

Bobby

*paid to say this by Nik
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2003, 11:04:24 PM »

Tony,

Just as part of the argument, do you believe the OCA was schismatic prior to 1971?

anastasios

anastasios,

It was in '70 that the OCA was given autocephaly.  So before '70 given the position of the rest of the Orthodox Churches (not just two but all the others - even apparently the MP IIRC) I would say not.  It was an irregular situation caused but an irregular happening/situation.  That is something we were taught in undergrad Psych that an abnormal situation elicits an abnormal response.

I must defer to the majority of Orthodox Churches, not just two nor to my own opinion in this matter.  

Tony

I'll see you when yo
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2003, 11:10:45 PM »

I do not believe any Orthodox bishop in America believes ROCOR to be schismatic.  
anastasios

Perhaps you should offer a definition of schism and schismatic.  Considering what happend in the past 10 years in at least two dioceses here in the USA, I can't imagine the heads of those dioceses thinking as you.  

Just my own imaginings I am sure.

I'll see you when yo
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2003, 11:15:49 PM »

'Cause it depends on th REASON that they are not in communion with the EP.  

And IMHO, the reason why they are not has nothing to do with religion, but has everything to do with power and money.

My understanding (and I certainly may be wrong) is that they believe in the same sacraments, creed.. etc.

So why are they schismatic? Because they do not want to go back under the MP. I don't blame them for that.

Well I am not ROCOR so I think it is more reasonable for a ROCOR communicant to speak for that position.  But, I understood it has to do with those two accusations, both of which appear to me to have to with religion, especieally "Pan-Heresy"

I'll see you when yo
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2003, 11:21:19 PM »

Do you look at ROAC and ROCiE and those groups as schismatic? They have the same creed, sacraments, etc.

Hmmmmmmm. I have never even HEARD of these churches. I would have to know a little more about how they ended up "out of communion" in the first place.

Wow! Being a historical buff, this is some interesting reading!
http://www.russianorthodoxautonomouschurchinamerica.com/pdfdocuments/TimelinenewFeb182002.pdf
« Last Edit: August 13, 2003, 11:34:22 PM by TomS » Logged
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2003, 11:30:04 PM »

Or how about HOCNA and all the others?  They all profess the same creed, etc.

I'll see you when yo
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2003, 11:36:28 PM »

ROAC and ROCiE ... or how about HOCNA....

Kyreleison! We are Protestants!!!

Tongue
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2003, 12:27:15 AM »

Tongue

No, we are NOT Protestants. The Faith is secure; it's the politics that are messed up!

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2003, 07:52:55 AM »

Kukla,

ROCiE and ROAC departed from their canonical bishops, as did HOCNA, so they are schismatics and in my opinion probably graceless and unOrthodox (although I will not condemn individual faithful in these groups).

Tony,

ROCOR was invited to join SCOBA when it formed.  ROCOR in Europe is a part of the Orthodox bishops' association in Europe I am told (correct me if I am wrong).  ROCOR chose to break communion with the GOA, not the other way around, so it is not like they are condemned schismatics from that POV.

As far as bad actions, the JP does the same thing to the Antiochians.  Metro. Philip disallowed concelebration this year between Antiochians and the JP in the USA.  I do not believe that makes any of them schismatic--because they are still in union with other Orthodox Churches.  And Metro. Philip never calls the JP faithful schismatic to my knowledge (correct me if I am wrong).

TomS,

Many Protestants would say that external splits don't affect the body of Christ intrinsically.  The reason that we are not Protestants in this regard is 1) these splits clearly show that the person leaving is not Orthodox any longer (which is why I don't think ROCOR fits the category, because everyone still thinks ROCOR is Orthodox). 2) the splittees are a very very very small minority--HOCNA has around 1000 faithful!!

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2003, 07:57:02 AM »

I do not believe any Orthodox bishop in America believes ROCOR to be schismatic.  
anastasios

Perhaps you should offer a definition of schism and schismatic.  Considering what happend in the past 10 years in at least two dioceses here in the USA, I can't imagine the heads of those dioceses thinking as you.  

Just my own imaginings I am sure.

I offered my analogy to the JP vs. Met. Philip thing in my previous post but I offer this just to clarify:  I do not believe any Orthodox bishop in the US thinks ROCOR itself to be schismatic (I could be wrong of course!) BUT I do not doubt that the bishops who lost priests/people to ROCOR think that THOSE people are schismatics.  If someone left the Antiochians under suspension and went to the JP, and the JP received them, they would be schismatics too, the JP would not be schismatic itself but would be guilty of a canonical infraction (this happened with some of the Ben Lomond people).

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2003, 08:42:18 AM »

Anastasios, we have a problem when we have no vehicle to call to task and put on the carpet those who are guilty of these major canonical infractions wherein one jurisdiction, even if it be an ancient Patriarchate such as that of Jerusalem, totally disregards the canonical actions of another jurisdiction and interferes therein, such as in the Ben Lomond situation between the Antiochians and the JP.  

We also have examples of almost this same kind of thing between the OCA and the ROCOR, wherein the ROCOR will receive priests suspended by the OCA as if they are in good standing.  I know also of at least one priest received by the OCA from the ROCOR, but I don't know the details of this priests's exiting status from the ROCOR.   But, as you well know, there are usually no canonical releases ever given to clergy of either of these latter two jurisdicitions to go from one to the other.

Hypo-Ortho
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2003, 09:45:23 AM »

Sorry for the 'lack of relevance' factor, but there is this new book I ordered entitled The American Orthodox Church: A history of its beginnings.

It is from regina orthodox press(http://www.reginaorthodoxpress.com), and a review can be found there.

It seems to be new, but has anyone read it and can comment?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2003, 10:00:24 AM »

A History of the Orthodox Church in America 1917-1934 by Bishop Gregory (Afonsky), or a different one?

Hypo, or the other way around, the OCA will receive people who are supposedly Archbishops?

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2003, 10:16:53 AM »

Kukla

You asked many questions, so please forgive the short answers! Smiley (Check my profile for a background on where I'm coming from)

If you are in ROCOR, why are you in ROCOR? What keeps you there?

Because it has the spirit (or savor) of the Church to a greater extent than any jurisdiction in America. ROCOR has, for the most part, kept its conservative, traditionalist Orthodox roots, and because of this it hasn't fallen into the errors that many other groups have (e.g., ecumenism, many modernistic practices such as allowing birth control and communing at heterodox churches, changing the calendar, etc.)  ROCOR is not perfect--when one tries to be conservative there is always the danger of being legalistic, closed-minded, and so forth; some fall into these dangers (me included). However, for the most part, ROCOR is the "most salty" of all the jurisdictions in America--and really in the world.

Some see the "russianness" of ROCOR as a bad thing, but it's really just them being consistent. They have always maintained that they are a Church in exile... a Church waiting to return home and again become part of the whole, undivided Church of Russia. We can't expect them to have an "American phase" somewhere in between leaving Russia and reestablishing the Russian Church! As one ROCOR Priest (who later became my spiritual father) told me before I became ROCOR, look for the truth, that's what's important. And so now, this decidedly American guy is happily sojourning in the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia.

Would you attend a non-ROCOR church for services?

I attended an OCA Church for vespers two weeks ago, and my wife and I plan on again visiting the Romanian (OCA) monastery in Ellwood City, PA, sometime soon. So... yes. Smiley

Do you believe that the churches under the EP have Grace?

I'd like to think so. I'm not as sure as I used to be. I guess they do. Don't quote me on that.

If you are in ROCOR, how would you react if a friend of yours (in ROCOR) went to the GOA, OCA, etc?

But all my ROCOR friends are going the opposite direction! Wink For me, it would depend on a number of factors, most importantly whether he had became ROCOR later in his life or not. For someone to have been born into ROCOR and then switch, I guess I would majorly disagree with that move. However, I think it'd be a much worse move were someone to become ROCOR later in life and then decide to leave. Why all the changing? What has changed that they wanted to be ROCOR, and now want to leave? Also, why OCA, GOA, or whatever? If they have some problem with ROCOR, why not another more traditionalist jurisdiction, such as GOC? Or at least a jurisdiction with traditionalist aspects to it, such as the Serbs or Jerusalem? I would also let my friend know that in a few years, he might not like what I'd be saying... if the OCA, GOA, etc. kept going down the path they were on. More importantly, he (I hope!) wouldn't like where he was, and would have to "switch back" yet again.

I would ask them on another site, but this site is the friendliest of them all,

That got me to laugh out loud. Smiley Not that I'm disputing what you're saying. Sort of. Lol.

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2003, 10:55:46 AM »

Yes, OC.net has won the prestigious Anastasios award for the nicest place on the internet to discuss Orthodoxy!  What other Orthodox site actually supports members meeting in person on weekend gettogethers? ;-)

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2003, 11:04:31 AM »

The cafe does; we just haven't done it yet. Perhaps we will meet at Jordanville or some other such place.

Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2003, 12:03:25 PM »

Tongue

No, we are NOT Protestants. The Faith is secure; it's the politics that are messed up!

Please pardon the hysterical laughter from the token Protestant......
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2003, 01:40:46 PM »

This quote from Chesterton (written while he was an Anglican, oddly enough) is one of my favorite passages from a contemporary western writer. It also happens to (more or less) reflect the way I feel about ROCOR.

This is the thrilling romance of Orthodoxy. People have fallen into a foolish habit of speaking of orthodoxy as something heavy, humdrum, and safe. There never was anything so perilous or so exciting as orthodoxy. It was sanity: and to be sane is more dramatic than to be mad. It was the equilibrium of a man behind madly rushing horses, seeming to stoop this way and to sway that, yet in every attitude having the grace of statuary and the accuracy of arithmetic. The Church in its early days went fierce and fast with any warhorse; yet it is utterly unhistoric to say that she merely went mad along one idea, like a vulgar fanaticism. She swerved to left and right, so exactly as to avoid enormous obstacles. She left on one hand the huge bulk of Arianism, buttressed by all the worldly powers to make Christianity too worldly. The next instant she was swerving to avoid an orientalism, which would have made it too unworldly.

The orthodox Church never took the tame course or accepted the conventions; the orthodox Church was never respectable. It would have been easier to have accepted the earthly power of the Arians. It would have been easy, in the Calvinistic seventeenth century, to fall into the bottomless pit of predestination. It is easy to be a madman: it is easy to be a heretic. It is always easy to let the age have its head; the difficult thing is to keep one's own. It is always easy to be a modernist; as it is easy to be a snob.

To have fallen into any of those open traps of error and exaggeration which fashion after fashion and sect after sect set along the historic path of Christendom -- that would indeed have been simple. It is always simple to fall; there are an infinity of angles at which one falls, only one at which one stands. To have fallen into any one of the fads from Gnosticism to Christian Science would indeed have been obvious and tame. But to have avoided them all has been one whirling adventure; and in my vision the heavenly chariot flies thundering through the ages, the dull heresies sprawling and prostrate, the wild truth reeling but erect. - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy
« Last Edit: August 14, 2003, 01:45:02 PM by Paradosis » Logged

Keble
Archon

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2003, 03:45:25 PM »

Anastasios, I think you're splitting some hairs pretty finely here. Surely the secular justification for the existence of ROCOR is gone; therefore, why shouldn't the exile end? They are something beyond simply another overlapping jurisdiction, and indeed the remarks by Paradosis would seems to indicate that they've gone beyond the political separation wherein they originated, and have developed elements which the Orthodox here have made negative remarks about. There does appear to me to be schism here, but limited in scope and nature.

What is curious is that the Orthodox core seems to want to minimize this. Personally, I have a great deal of trouble with ROCOR receiving suspended OCA priests; it has a vagante quality to it. It puzzles me that this is tolerated.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2003, 04:13:21 PM »

Does it also puzzle you that the OCA receive people like "Archbishop" Lazar Puhalo?

First, it is incorrect to say that all the original reasons for seperation are over. The MP still continues to maintain exactly what it has since 1927: that there is nothing wrong with Sergianism. It's not just "newly conceived excuses" that force ROCOR to continue in exile. There is also the problem with Ecumenism, but there is an even greater problem, IMO. If we (ROCOR) were indeed to reunite with the other parts of the Russian Church as one Church, we would be in communion with world Orthodoxy. We would be in communion with Antioch and Constantinople. This is simply unacceptable. ROCOR is Orthodox--and for those who worry of such things, she is "canonical" and "valid" as well. It's become so very common to make everything into a political game; it's odd that those who bewail that "the division is all politics" are normally the ones who refuse to actually look at the issues and are therefore being the most political. My reasons for becoming ROCOR were theological and practical: they had the fulness of the truth.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2003, 04:24:41 PM »

Tongue

Please pardon the hysterical laughter from the token Protestant......

Sorry, my friend, your reply is ironic at best from a "token Protestant". By ROCOR standards I shouldn't even debate this with a non-Orthodox.
Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2003, 04:31:18 PM »

Nice straw man.

Oddly enough, a ROCORite recently quoted an Anglican in an extremely favorable way on this forum, and the majority of his posts over the last few weeks have been on how we might profitably dialogue with westerners (ie. non-Orthodox). I also talk daily with people who are from the GOA, ROAC, and a host of other jurisdictions--in other words, a wide variety of Orthodox. ROCOR is certainly not reclusive and unwilling to talk with others. Good shot though, you really knocked that straw man to pieces!

sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2003, 06:18:33 PM »

Does it also puzzle you that the OCA receive people like "Archbishop" Lazar Puhalo?

I believed he repented of what he did wrong. I thought I saw something about it.

Life is just one disappointment after another.
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2003, 09:52:52 PM »

From Paradosis: If we (ROCOR) were indeed to reunite with the other parts of the Russian Church as one Church, we would be in communion with world Orthodoxy. We would be in communion with Antioch and Constantinople. This is simply unacceptable.

And the problem with all of that is . . .?

Excuse me for saying it, Paradosis, since I have a generally favorable view of ROCOR, but its persistence in maintaining a separate existence gives the appearance of prelates who do not wish to give up comfortable positions of authority. That's what it looks like anyway.

Besides, wasn't it Constantinople that offered what would become ROCOR its first place of refuge?

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Keble
Archon

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2003, 09:21:57 AM »

Well, it might if I understood exactly what is the problem with him. Googling for his name produces lots of ordinary news reports and a few ROCOR people who
plainly object to him but who don't explain why.

First, it is incorrect to say that all the original reasons for seperation are over.

The precise words I used were "secular justification". If we are now resorting to religious justifications, then I think we are talking a state of schism with some concessions made, rather than a state of impaired unity.

I'm fairly sure I don't want to know what is wrong with the Antiochians or the EP. I can understand having issues with Alexy-- I have issues with him. But the words you use, Paradosis, seem to me to indicate a slip into a rejection of collegiality in the strongest sense: you reject their criticism as being next to unOrthodox.
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2003, 12:40:00 PM »

First, it is incorrect to say that all the original reasons for seperation are over. The MP still continues to maintain exactly what it has since 1927: that there is nothing wrong with Sergianism. It's not just "newly conceived excuses" that force ROCOR to continue in exile. There is also the problem with Ecumenism, but there is an even greater problem, IMO. If we (ROCOR) were indeed to reunite with the other parts of the Russian Church as one Church, we would be in communion with world Orthodoxy. We would be in communion with Antioch and Constantinople. This is simply unacceptable. ROCOR is Orthodox--and for those who worry of such things, she is "canonical" and "valid" as well. It's become so very common to make everything into a political game; it's odd that those who bewail that "the division is all politics" are normally the ones who refuse to actually look at the issues and are therefore being the most political. My reasons for becoming ROCOR were theological and practical: they had the fulness of the truth.

O Justin, Justin!  What a harsh judge you are.  At the Old Calendar celebrations marking the 100th anniverary of the death of St. Seraphim of Sarov in Diveyevo, His Beatitude, +Metropolitan HERMAN, Primate of the OCA, and His Holiness, +PAVLE, Patriarch of Serbia, were His Holiness, Patriarch Alexy II's principal concelebrants (check out the story with photos at www.oca.org).  And, as you well know, hierarchs of the Serbian Patriarchate regularly serve with those of the ROCOR!  And here we have Serbian Patriarch PAVLE personally serving with the Primates of both the MP and the OCA.  Ironic, no? Wink Kiss

Hypo-Ortho

(Modified only for an error in my spelling due to my dyslexia)

« Last Edit: August 15, 2003, 12:55:46 PM by Hypo-Ortho » Logged
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2003, 01:20:47 PM »

<surface>

If we (ROCOR) were indeed to reunite with the other parts of the Russian Church as one Church, we would be in communion with world Orthodoxy. We would be in communion with Antioch and Constantinople. This is simply unacceptable. ROCOR is Orthodox--and for those who worry of such things, she is "canonical" and "valid" as well. It's become so very common to make everything into a political game; it's odd that those who bewail that "the division is all politics" are normally the ones who refuse to actually look at the issues and are therefore being the most political. My reasons for becoming ROCOR were theological and practical: they had the fulness of the truth.

I know about Athanasius contra mundum but:

1. This sounds like vagante ecclesiology.

2. Who is 'Orthodox'? Addendum: ROCOR is Eastern Orthodox, not only because it has the same creed and practices as EOs and even the right 'feeling' but because it is in the Eastern Orthodox communion, thanks to the Church of Serbia.

3. In an article whose link I posted on my blog Aug. 11, Fr Chad Hatfield wrote that as an Orthodox (and unlike Anglicans and Catholics) he didn't need to seek 'a church within the church' or 'defend the Church of God' within the church anymore: now the (Orthodox) Church defends him. This contradicts that.

</surface>
« Last Edit: August 15, 2003, 01:26:26 PM by Serge » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2003, 01:58:30 PM »

I imagine it would sound vagante to you Serge, since you hold to a neo-papal-patriarchal ecclesiology. It's somewhat like the Monophysites calling the Orthodox "Nestorians".

PS. And to clarify: no, I am not saying you are not Orthodox, just pointing out that from an incorrect perspective one makes incorrect judgments about others. I don't claim to have a perfect perspective--far from it!--but I think I can see well enough to see that you are wrong on this point.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2003, 02:01:59 PM by Paradosis » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2003, 02:35:27 PM »

Linus,

One problem with that is that they commune and concelebrate with heretics. Just their "ecumenical activity" is enough, in itself, to make ROCOR stay away. Some stay less away than others (it's my understanding that ROCOR participates in the European version of SCOBA to some extent), but we certainly wouldn't have full communion. If we would be ok with that, then we wouldn't be seperated from the various local Churches even now; but because of love we remain apart. Sad And because of love we seek union in a correct faith. Unfortunately too many people seem to have gotten it into their heads that "it's all political" or "they just like to be apart," and so unity becomes all that much more difficult.

TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2003, 04:19:03 PM »

Here is a question to ROCOR communicants:  Is it your understanding that by your communion with Serbia and the JP you are thus in communion with "World Orthodoxy"?  So, as if the JP and Serbia are conduits and communion is a current you are in communion with the MP and the EP and the GOA and the OCA?  Do you understand this is the position of ROCOR?

I'll see you when yo
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2003, 05:23:35 PM »

anastasios,

Would you please post your definition of schism?

TonyS

I'll see you when yo
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2003, 11:33:40 PM »

From Paradosis: One problem with that is that they commune and concelebrate with heretics.

With what heretics does the EP commune and concelebrate?

I too dislike the Ecumenical Movement and don't think we should be involved in it.

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Seraphim Reeves
Elder

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2003, 06:56:31 AM »

ROCiE and ROAC departed from their canonical bishops, as did HOCNA, so they are schismatics and in my opinion probably graceless and unOrthodox (although I will not condemn individual faithful in these groups).

Would you be willing to make the same appraisal of the Nestorians, Monophysites, Roman Catholics, etc.?  (schismatic and graceless)

Seraphim

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2003, 01:31:34 PM »

Linus,

Monophysites. Er... non-chalcedonians. Some say others, but these are the ones that they openly accept.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: