OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 12:59:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to board-have a question  (Read 1607 times) Average Rating: 0
Helena94

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: September 06, 2008, 03:20:55 PM »

Hi, I am new to this forum and am a recent convert from Catholicism. I have bombarded our priest with questions, and thought I'd ask this board another one to give him a break!
At our military base Orthodox chapel, we have different backgrounds. I was taught to cross myself three times in a row, and I notice others cross themselves once and then bow.
What is the meaning between both ways?
Thank you very much,
Jen
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 03:25:05 PM »

Just different traditions. We Greeks normally do three (keeping time with a prayer simultaneously made).

Welcome!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 03:26:15 PM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 03:29:21 PM »

Welcome!

I have found the cross and bow to be most common in Russian parishes.  As Αριστοκλής said, just different traditions.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 03:31:47 PM »

Welcome!
Like Aristokles says, we Greeks often cross ourselves three times in rhythm with prayers like: "Through the prayers of our holy fathers...." which, when prayed in Greek, has a 4/4 beat which repeats three times, and so fit's the threefold sign of the Cross nicely.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 06:36:29 PM »

Welcome to the OC.net forum!  Hope you enjoy your visits.   Smiley

I usually cross myself 3 times.  Sometimes, I'll cross myself once - like at the Creed when the "In One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church"  is recited or at other moments of the Divine Liturgy.  Bowing is also known as prostrating in that bowing is easier to do in a Church with pews rather than prostrating, where one usually goes almost to the floor.

Helena94

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 07:32:17 PM »

Thank you for your answers and for welcoming me!
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 08:42:48 AM »

Welcome to the Convert Issues Board.  We are happy to have you here and look forward to hearing from you often as you have  questions that we may help you with.

Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 10:23:03 PM »

To my knowledge, we are to do both and more. Sometimes we cross ourselves, sometimes we make a deep bow....and then there are times it is most appropriate to make full prostrations.

The most common place to make deep bows (metanoia) are greeting icons and at Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal in the Trisagion prayers.

We prostrate before the Holy and Life Giving Cross on its feast days, before the relics of saints (in many cases), and at the consecration of the Holy Gifts during weekday liturgies, during the prayer of St. Ephraim in Lent and during the Kneeling Prayers at the end of the Pentecost season. As a rule (but with a couple of exceptions) we do not prostrate on Sundays, nor do we kneel or make prostrations as rule between Pascha and Pentecost either at home or in church.

The exactitude of this observance is different from parish to parish...at least in North America.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: