OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 10:35:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saints?  (Read 1720 times) Average Rating: 0
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« on: November 01, 2002, 12:07:46 AM »

Dear Friends,

So far, I have only added the names of saints on the Syrian calendar that I have.  If there are any Eastern Orthodox/Oriental Orthodox saints that you would like to see on the calendar for this month of November, please let me know, and I will add them.  And as November becomes December, I will be adding saints then too, so please, I guess what I'm trying to say is let me know if there is anyone you'd like to see on the calendar, and I will add them as time permits.  Thanks!

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2002, 07:52:54 AM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Dear Mor,

For us Old Calendarists the following are in November using the secular calendar:

1 St John of Kronstadt
3 St Hilarion the Great
5 St James the Borther of Our Lord
8 St Demetrius
10 St Theophilus of the Kiev Caces, Fool for Christ
14 Ss Cosmas & Damian
17 St Joannicius the Great
21 Archangel Michael
22 St Nectarius of Pentapolis
24 Martyrs Menas, Victor and Vincent
26 St John Chrysostom
28 Nativity Fast Begins
« Last Edit: November 02, 2002, 07:54:12 AM by Nik » Logged

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2002, 08:39:26 AM »

Dear Mor,

According to the New Calendar as used in the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America (AOCA), on November 2 our Father among the Saints, Raphael [Hawaweeny], Bishop of Brooklyn, is commemorated.

I am belatedly announcing that on the New Calendar of the OCA, Hieromartyr John [Kochurov], often known as St. John of Chicago because of his ministry in that city, a New-Martyr of the Soviet Yoke, was commemorated on Oct. 31.

And on the New Calendar on November 8, the Synaxis of the Holy Archangels Michael, Gabriel and Raphael, and the Other Bodiless Powers of Heaven is celebrated.

On November 15 Eastern Orthodox Christians on the New Calendar begin the 40-day Nativity Fast, "Filipovka," or "Philippian Fast," because it begins on the eve closing the Feast of Holy Apostle Philip the previous day.

Hypo-Ortho
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2002, 09:26:51 AM »

Glory to Him Forever!

Perhaps in posting these we should then put them like so:

15 November: Nativity Fast Begins (Gregorian)
28 November: Nativity Fast Begins (Julian)

Just a thought for we will often have the same saint commemorated twice a month. God Bless.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2002, 10:05:17 AM »

You're right, Nik.  Otherwise, we'll always have to qualify "Old Calendar" or "New Calendar," which some would not call "quite" Gregorian as much as "Revised Julian."  Grin  Anyway, the Saints would probably not complain in being commemorated twice!

Saint John Kochurov, pray for us!

Hypo-Ortho
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2002, 10:41:06 AM »

Wow, OK, guys, I'll get to work after class!

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2002, 01:52:21 PM »

Alright, here's what we're going to do.

You guys have given me a good number of saints to add, and I will do what I can.  As of this point, I am not sure how many saints one calendar box can accomodate, so if there are many saints on one particular day, I'll see then whether we can put them all up, or only a couple.  

As far as Old/New Calendar dates, my personal preference is for the New Calendar.  The Indian Church uses it exclusively, and the Syrian Church uses it for fixed dates (which I believe is the practice of many other Orthodox Churches), and so it is what I'm used to...that's not to knock the Old Calendar, it's just what I'm used to.  

So, for fixed saints' days, I will put them in their proper New Calendar spaces, and then in parenthesis or something I'll add the Old Calendar dates; this way, both dates are represented.  If the dates presented thus far are not saints' days on the New Calendar, please convert them to New Calendarese and mark the OC date as the OC date, and I'll put it in.  So, if a certain feast is celebrated on 1 November, I presume the OC date in parenthesis would be 14 Nov, and that would be marked.  

Fasting periods get more difficult, I think.  The Byzantine NC fast begins on 14 November, the Byzantine OC fast begins on the 28th, the Indian fast begins on 1 December while Advent begins this coming Sunday, the Syrians only begin fasting around 15 December or so, etc.  But we'll work something out.  Thanks!

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: