OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 08:24:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anybody know these words?  (Read 11652 times) Average Rating: 0
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« on: August 31, 2008, 12:02:29 AM »

Does anyone know the Enlgish translation of this song, Defte Lai:

"Defte Lai, apandes simfonos. Hriston animnisomem, ton en tovaptiz mati. (x2) Pandas imas, ekatha randa"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcpUnZ_ghdA&feature=related

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 10:36:36 AM »

It strikes me as Greek, so I asked my wife, who took Greek in college. She says that "ekatha" is related to the word "katharizo", meaning "to cleanse." Beyond that, she's not sure. It may not be Greek but rather a language with many Greek roots. She doesn't recognize anything else.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
ignatios

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 12:22:55 PM »

I googled the singer, Divna Ljubojevic.  It looks like she's Serbian.  Here's some Serbian Orthodox music with her as one of the performers: http://www.sv-luka.org/chants/index.html
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 01:49:41 PM »

The first two words are translated as "Come ye people."

I think the hymn is from Holy Week based on what I saw at the YouTube site.  I thumbed through my Holy Week book and the hymn doesn't appear in it.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 02:47:00 PM »

"Simphonos" apparently means "in one voice," or "making a sound all together."

"Animnisomem" ("-men?") souds like a derivative from "anamnesis" ("recollection" or "rememberance") (see, my medical background shows!)

"Tovaptiz" may be a derivative of "baptismo" (Baptism; Greeks can pronounce their "betas" as "v," like in "presviteros," "vasileos").

So, it's something like, "come people, let's all sing in one voice, remembering Christ, as we all have been baptized; all of us, who have been cleansed."
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 03:18:35 PM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
orthodoxlurker
Supporter & Defender of Fr Ambrose (Irish Hermit) - banned
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian - NOT a phanariote
Jurisdiction: Serbian Patriarchate under siege

al-Saabir yaraa al-Hurriyah

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 02:51:48 PM »

In the comments there someone said it's Coine Greek / Ancient Greek.

It's not Serbian.

Curse the Pope, for he is the root and cause of these disasters! - St. Nektarios of Aegina

You don't get to circumvent your post moderation by calling out the moderators in your signature. ~Veniamin, Global Moderator
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 03:19:50 PM »

In the comments there someone said it's Coine Greek / Ancient Greek.

It's not Serbian.

Certainly. I don't know Serbian, but as a Slav, I can tell right away that the language is not Slavic.

Divna often sings in Greek.

Love never fails.
orthodoxlurker
Supporter & Defender of Fr Ambrose (Irish Hermit) - banned
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian - NOT a phanariote
Jurisdiction: Serbian Patriarchate under siege

al-Saabir yaraa al-Hurriyah

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 03:48:23 PM »

Certainly. I don't know Serbian, but as a Slav, I can tell right away that the language is not Slavic.

Divna often sings in Greek.

Definitely not Slavic.

Sounds like some kind of Greek.

Curse the Pope, for he is the root and cause of these disasters! - St. Nektarios of Aegina

You don't get to circumvent your post moderation by calling out the moderators in your signature. ~Veniamin, Global Moderator
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 05:46:23 PM »

Definitely not Slavic.

Sounds like some kind of Greek.

I was 100% sure it was Greek the moment I saw "simfonos" (symphonos), "Animnisomem," "lai," "ton," "panda" (panta?), etc.

It's weird to me that those who went to schools in the USA (even to colleges...?) are not able to recognize these most definite Greek traits.. 

Anyway, let's wait for Ozgeorge, Pentaseomnia, and others whose native tongue is Greek.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 05:47:12 PM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 06:40:47 PM »

Divna Ljubojevic is indeed Serbian, but she also chants in Greek, and she is doing so here.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 05:56:50 PM »

Divna Ljubojevic is indeed Serbian, but she also chants in Greek, and she is doing so here.

Good to have the site back!

So, George, was I any close? "Come people, let's all sing in one voice, remembering Christ, as we all have been baptized; all of us, who have been cleansed." -?

Love never fails.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 07:41:38 PM »

So, George, was I any close? "Come people, let's all sing in one voice, remembering Christ, as we all have been baptized; all of us, who have been cleansed." -?

I think you are close. I don't recognize the hymn, perhaps pensatomnia can, but to me it sounds like:

"defte lai" (come people)
"apantes symphonos" (together with one voice)
"Hriston an ymnisomen" (let us hymn Christ)
"ton en to batismati" (Who in baptism)
"pantas emas ekatharanta" (cleansed all of us)

Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 12:50:03 AM »

Didn't know your native tongue was Greek, OzGeorge! KEWL! Grin

I've been trying to learn Greek on my own. Right now, I'm working on my numbers and letters, though I keep forgetting the number 10 (theka, with th as in then). Later, I'll do diphthongs and consonants, using websites and good 'ol YouTube! Smiley

I know this may be silly, but those translations don't agree with this online translator I found <English to Greek>, Oz. Why not? Sad

http://www.systran.jp/english-greek-translation/greek-translator-online.htm
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 01:04:25 AM by Myrrh23 » Logged

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 03:20:11 AM »

I've been trying to learn Greek on my own. Right now, I'm working on my numbers and letters, though I keep forgetting the number 10 (theka, with th as in then). Later, I'll do diphthongs and consonants, using websites and good 'ol YouTube! Smiley

The number 10 is deca (pronounced deka).  A decameter is 10 meters.  A decaliter is 10 liters.  The Greek word for decade is δεκαετια which literally translates as 10 (deka) years (etia - plural of etos).

I know this may be silly, but those translations don't agree with this online translator I found <English to Greek>, Oz. Why not? Sad

The ones from babelfish tend to be a little better except that a translator will translate word for word and not take into account proper grammar, slang, etc.
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 03:30:01 AM »

The number 10 is deca (pronounced deka).  A decameter is 10 meters.  A decaliter is 10 liters.  The Greek word for decade is δεκαετια which literally translates as 10 (deka) years (etia - plural of etos).

Then why are these sources pronouncing it as a th? Jeez. This is frustrating.... Sad So delta is suppose to be spoken as a 'D'?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc60SDsTcmk

http://www.explorecrete.com/various/greek-language.htm

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 05:04:54 AM »

Then why are these sources pronouncing it as a th? Jeez. This is frustrating.... Sad So delta is suppose to be spoken as a 'D'?

Not in modern Greek. SolEX01 must have slipped up in his post - "Th" is correct.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2008, 07:43:35 AM »

I'm working on my numbers and letters, though I keep forgetting the number 10 (theka, with th as in then).

This is something I always tell my students. Most of them graduated from the US schools and have almost no concept of the metric system, and it bothers me, because in science everything is always measured in units based on the metric system. So, I (even though I do not know the Greek language), always try to teach my students that "deca" (or theca) means ten, "santi" - hundred; "mili" (Latin origin) - thousand, or one thousandth part; "micro" indicates a one millionth part, "nano" - one billionth, "pico" - one trillionth, "femto" - one quadrillionth (10E-15).

Love never fails.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008, 07:57:34 AM »

The translator attempts to translate into modern Greek (demotiki). Church uses "Koine" (prnounced "Ki-ni"), which is a much older form of Greek.
When studying their language, Greek students actually have to learn three different (but related) forms of Greek:
Koine:- The ancient form used in the New Testament and the Church.
Katharevousa:- A form of Greek midway between ancient and modern Greek invented in the 19th century and still used for official documents.
Demotiki- The Greek spoken and written in modern everyday use.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2008, 08:40:12 AM »

The ones from babelfish tend to be a little better except that a translator will translate word for word and not take into account proper grammar, slang, etc.
If my students insist on using an online translator, I usually direct them to Babelfish, as it is one of the better ones--but you are correct in that idioms and slang often translate poorly, and you get the equivalent of Engrish. Babelfish might, say, tell you that "to punch the streets" is the same as "to hit the road."

For all its many uses, the Internet still can't compare to a lexicon for translation purposes.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 08:40:48 AM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2008, 08:57:25 AM »

I think you are close. I don't recognize the hymn, perhaps pensatomnia can, but to me it sounds like:

"defte lai" (come people)
"apantes symphonos" (together with one voice)
"Hriston an ymnisomen" (let us hymn Christ)
"ton en to batismati" (Who in baptism)
"pantas emas ekatharanta" (cleansed all of us)

Thank you!

Love never fails.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2008, 03:17:09 PM »

Not in modern Greek. SolEX01 must have slipped up in his post - "Th" is correct.

Not according to Divry's New English-Greek and Greek-English dictionary, which uses "D" rather than "Th" for deka.  AFAIK, we're talking about modern Greek and not ancient versions of Greek. 
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2008, 03:22:45 PM »

You are correct, delta is today's letter D and pronounced as a D.

My guess is that the sources are trying oversimplify things for non-English speakers.

Put it another way, the Greek word for decade is NOT Θεκαετια.  The Greek letter, theta (underlined letter), has the pronounciation of "Th" not "D."
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2008, 08:36:13 PM »

Θ is spoken also with a th, but as in the word thin. Delta, in the modern language, is with a th as in then, right? Undecided

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2008, 01:59:14 PM »

Θ is spoken also with a th, but as in the word thin. Delta, in the modern language, is with a th as in then, right? Undecided

First half is correct.  For second half, delta is today's letter D pronounced like dog, duck, dig, etc.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2008, 04:28:34 PM »

First half is correct.  For second half, delta is today's letter D pronounced like dog, duck, dig, etc.

Hmm...that's not how I pronounce 'delta' in liturgical or modern Greek. Source

Delta  d  th as in then (but not thin); contrast theta below

Now, classical Greek may use delta as a 'd', but not so in Liturgical or Modern.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2008, 06:04:04 PM »

^Well, my modern Greek dictionary pretty much backs up Father Chris and others in that the modern delta is pronounced with a hard "th" sound.  Thanks Father Chris and my sincere apologies to everyone.   Embarrassed 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 06:06:35 PM by SolEX01 » Logged
Apostolos
Protopentekaidekarchos
Elder

Faith: Christian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Greece

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2008, 12:57:13 PM »

Does anyone know the Enlgish translation of this song, Defte Lai:

"Defte Lai, apandes simfonos. Hriston animnisomem, ton en tovaptiz mati. (x2) Pandas imas, ekatha randa"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcpUnZ_ghdA&feature=related
"Δεῦτε λαοί, ἅπαντες συμφώνως, Χριστόν ἀνυμνήσωμεν, Τόν ἐν τῷ βαπτίσματι, πάντας ἡμᾶς ἐκαθάραντα"

Quote from: Heorhij
"Simphonos" apparently means "in one voice," or "making a sound all together."

"Animnisomem" ("-men?") souds like a derivative from "anamnesis" ("recollection" or "rememberance") (see, my medical background shows!)

"Tovaptiz" may be a derivative of "baptismo" (Baptism; Greeks can pronounce their "betas" as "v," like in "presviteros," "vasileos").

So, it's something like, "come people, let's all sing in one voice, remembering Christ, as we all have been baptized; all of us, who have been cleansed."
...you sure you can't speak Greek?

It's a bit different though:
"come people, let us all sing/hymn=animnisomen (it's from the verb ἀνυμνῶ, to extoll in hymn/hymns. The "other" animnisomen you imply Heorhij that has something to do with anamnesis-rememberance should have been ἀναμιμνήσκομεν-anamimniskomen) Christ, who through His baptism, has cleansed us".
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 01:07:00 PM by Apostolos » Logged

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG5JWZlpfBA
St. John Papadopoulos "The Koukouzelis"
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2008, 05:15:45 PM »

^Thank you, Apostolos.

No, I really don't speak Greek. I just went to good schools and learned a lot of Greek words, like "symphony," "anamnesis," "katharsis," and what not.

Plus, my granny was half-Greek! She did not know Greek, but maybe it's in my DNA! Smiley

Love never fails.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: