OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 02:03:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I Speak Teenager.  (Read 8583 times) Average Rating: 0
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« on: August 29, 2008, 12:38:37 PM »

PTA: I speak teenager. Grin
Excellent!  I speak Geek as my native tongue, but dictionary.com comes in quite handy for me sometimes.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 01:41:10 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 12:08:51 PM »

Excellent!  I speak Geek as my native tongue, but dictionary.com comes in quite handy for me sometimes.
For me too. It's quite a resource.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 02:15:00 PM »

Yes.

PTA: I speak teenager. Grin

I'm not a teenager!  Cheesy I just like to read...hence, the use of the word poser (alt. poseur). Tongue

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 02:30:23 PM »

I'm not a teenager!  Cheesy I just like to read...hence, the use of the word poser (alt. poseur). Tongue
I know. We're the same age, but Peter's a little farther removed than we are from teenager-speak.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 02:47:06 PM »

I know. We're the same age, but Peter's a little farther removed than we are from teenager-speak.
Yup, considering that most of today's teenagers were born after I graduated from high school.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 02:53:47 PM »

Yup, considering that most of today's teenagers were born after I graduated from high school.
Teenagers have a way of making anyone feel old. Yesterday in my group communication class we were playing Taboo--I love games that restrict methods of communication; they force the students to exercise forms of communication they rarely use--and one of the words was "Linda Tripp." None of the students had any idea who she was. I thought about it for a second, and I realized that went Pres. Clinton was impeached, they were all between four and six years old. *sigh*

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 04:24:36 PM »

Teenagers have a way of making anyone feel old. Yesterday in my group communication class we were playing Taboo--I love games that restrict methods of communication; they force the students to exercise forms of communication they rarely use--and one of the words was "Linda Tripp." None of the students had any idea who she was. I thought about it for a second, and I realized that went Pres. Clinton was impeached, they were all between four and six years old. *sigh*
Yup.  They say you're getting old when what we regarded as breaking news is now taught in our history books.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 05:12:43 PM »

Gosh, hard to believe, but while I was watching the Dem's convention last week I realized between Clinton's 2 terms & Bush's 2 terms...that's 16 years! Someone who born the day Clinton took his first oath of office would be driving now!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 05:16:40 PM by Crucifer » Logged

Proverbs 22:7
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 05:16:01 PM »

Pres. Clinton was never impeached.
Actually yes, he was impeached by the House of Representatives but acquitted by the Senate.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 05:18:20 PM »

Actually yes, he was impeached by the House of Representatives but acquitted by the Senate.
My mistake, I was thinking of being convicted, impeachment indictaes being accused.

Proverbs 22:7
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 07:45:48 PM »

I usually associate a skateboard, Vans tennis shoes and a sloppy hair cut with a poser.  I also think of the movie Gleaming the Cube with Christian Slater and Steven Bauer (Al Pacino's #2 man on Scarface).
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 07:56:32 PM »

LOL, looks like you'll have to use words like Hannah Montana and Bratz and Spongebob! Cheesy

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 08:05:54 PM »

LOL, looks like you'll have to use words like Hannah Montana and Bratz and Spongebob! Cheesy

When I was a graduate teaching assistant, I incorporated popular references in my quizzes.  Both the students and I had a lot of fun.   Smiley
Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 08:42:13 PM »

My Astronomy teacher did that in high school.  Lots of fun getting bonus points for naming Batman characters.   Cheesy

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 09:07:43 PM »

I have this futile hope that Caitlin won't be into Hannah Montana and such, but I imagine she'll be into something more silly.  Dave Barry once wrote a column on a band called The Cheetah Girls whom his daughter Sophie just loved and for the longest time I thought it was something he made up.  Then I saw a Nintendo DS game based on whatever abysmal musical talents they might have.  Urk.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2008, 10:05:21 PM »

I have this futile hope that Caitlin won't be into Hannah Montana and such, but I imagine she'll be into something more silly.  Dave Barry once wrote a column on a band called The Cheetah Girls whom his daughter Sophie just loved and for the longest time I thought it was something he made up.  Then I saw a Nintendo DS game based on whatever abysmal musical talents they might have.  Urk.

Oh, EofK, I'm 25 and I love Hannah Montana music! Lips Sealed
(sings) I've got my sights set on you and I'm ready to aim....!" Grin

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 10:07:44 PM »

Ok, I confess, I still like ABBA.  The 70's answer to cheesy pop.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2008, 10:26:01 AM »

You do realize she's just Billy Ray Cyrus' way of getting attention, now that no one listens to him.

Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2008, 02:18:20 PM »

ABBA is classic!   Grin
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 02:18:37 PM by OrthodoxFairyQueen » Logged

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2008, 02:39:24 PM »

You do realize she's just Billy Ray Cyrus' way of getting attention, now that no one listens to him.

The Achy Breaky Heart is oh so 1992 Austin City Limits.   Grin
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2008, 02:40:50 PM »

Marvin Gaye (RIP), Teddy Pendergrass, Barry White (RIP) - those were my answers to Disco.
ma2000
Elder

Faith: ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: ROMANIAN

Saint Anthony The Great

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2008, 02:48:09 PM »

I have it on "d" quicksearch in Opera Wink
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 02:49:32 PM by ma2000 » Logged

Asemănându-te obiceiurilor râvnitorului Ilie şi urmând Botezătorului pe drepte cărări, Părinte Antonie, te-ai făcut locuitor pustiului şi ai întărit lumea cu rugăciunile tale. Pentru aceasta, roagă-te lui Hristos Dumnezeu, să mântuiască sufletele noastre.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2008, 05:41:32 PM »

It's funny how you define ABBA. I am 50 y.o. now, and I remember myself very well growing up in the former USSR of the early- and mid-1970's. To me and many of my friends, actually, "ABBA" was a betrayal of things that we held dear: smashing hard rock of bands like "Deep Purple," "Uriah Heep," and the like. (I know, you probably never even heard about them.) We used to listen to tapes of Deep Purple and Uriah Heep smuggled from God knows where, and to us, that was the ultimate revolution... ABBA was "square," pretentious, smelling of expensive perfume store, dumb, completely un-"revolutionary" - even though "hip" and of course Western.

Love never fails.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2008, 01:54:48 PM »

Funny you should mention Deep Purple: I found the strangest cover of "Smoke on the Water" the other day. When I get home I'll post a link.

And here it is.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 10:46:01 PM by Keble » Logged
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2008, 06:34:41 PM »

It's funny how you define ABBA. I am 50 y.o. now, and I remember myself very well growing up in the former USSR of the early- and mid-1970's. To me and many of my friends, actually, "ABBA" was a betrayal of things that we held dear: smashing hard rock of bands like "Deep Purple," "Uriah Heep," and the like. (I know, you probably never even heard about them.) We used to listen to tapes of Deep Purple and Uriah Heep smuggled from God knows where, and to us, that was the ultimate revolution... ABBA was "square," pretentious, smelling of expensive perfume store, dumb, completely un-"revolutionary" - even though "hip" and of course Western.

Aw, come on Heorhij!  Of course I know Deep Purple and Uriah Heep!  Wink  You and the rest of the world were completely right about ABBA.  They were pretentious, cheap, empty, and everything that was wrong with disco all rolled into one band.  But the songs are fun, I admit. 

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: