OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 06:45:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to go from here?  (Read 1631 times) Average Rating: 0
Jeff M.

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: None yet.

I am Patrick, yes a sinner and indeed untaught.

« on: August 29, 2008, 10:08:39 PM »

Hello, first let me take a second to apologize for my first post being so long.  Once I got started, I had to just let things out.

About 7 years ago, I became a  catechumen at an Eastern Orthodox church.  I am a bilateral amputee from birth, and have no legs from the knee down.  The church was very old and no part of it was wheelchair accessible, from the entrance to the sanctuary, bathrooms etc...  After about a  year of having to carry my chair up the stairs on my knees, then crawl around on my knees inside the church, it just became to difficult to continue attending there.

I left and fell out of church altogether, and have drifted around since, even falling into Buddhism for a few years. 

I have recently felt the call back to the faith, and have found a Greek Orthodox Church about 2 hours away, that I plan to visit soon for Divine Liturgy.  Since it's that far, I will not be able to go every Sunday.

I'm not sure what to do at this point, I'm not sure where I stand as a “former” catechumen, do I need to start all over?

And can I be a member of the Church if I can't attend every Sunday?

I'm not sure what to do to even begin returning???

Sorry this was so long, I would like to ask for our prayers for guidance.

Jeff

"He who is humble in his thoughts and engaged in spiritual work, when he reads the Holy Scriptures, will apply everything to himself and not to his neighbor."         St. Mark the Monk 6th Century
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 10:25:31 PM »

Welcome Jeff M!
And welcome back to the Church!
I certainly hope that the Church you plan to visit has wheelchair access!
The first step would be to talk to the Priest- perhaps you can call him?
I think that the question of whether you will need to start the catechumenate again is not as important as the question of your spiritual state, which hopefully a Priest will be able to help you to discern.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 11:00:52 PM »

I'm not sure what to do to even begin returning???

I'm sure an Orthodox priest will show greater compassion to your situation. I suggest you contact him.
Welcome back. May the Lord have mercy on you.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 11:06:57 PM »

Welcome to the forum and welcome back.  A newer Orthodox Church (e.g. built in the last 10 years) is going to be ADA compliant if there is one in your area.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 11:20:46 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Jeff.

Lord have mercy on you and all of us who have long distances to travel to attend Liturgy; compounded by the added problem of infirmity. I'm sure that not being able to attend every Sunday will not serve as a hindrance to your conversion, but I agree with the others in that the best place to begin renew your journey is by talking to the priest; to discuss your physical needs as much as your spiritual. I'm surprised that someone wasn't "appointed" to help you with your wheelchair at your previous parish; but perhaps people felt that help was the last thing you wanted.

God be with you and grant you strength to continue.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Jeff M.

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 11:48:11 PM »

Thank you all for you kind words, I should have said that the Greek Orthodox Church I plan to visit, is indeed wheelchair accessible, I called and spoke to a member to make sure before planning my trip.

It is the closest church that is accessible.  The church I used to go to, really had no way to become accessible, it is a VERY small rural church that was built in 1914 and just did not have the resources to remodel.  I have encountered places like that before, in certain bygone eras, buildings just did not take that kind of stuff into account and it is practically impossible to renovate them.

Hopefully I will be able to visit the other church in a few weeks and see how things go.

Thanks again for the warm welcome, may the peace of Christ be upon you all!

"He who is humble in his thoughts and engaged in spiritual work, when he reads the Holy Scriptures, will apply everything to himself and not to his neighbor."         St. Mark the Monk 6th Century
Jeff M.

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 09:46:13 AM »

I got some good news this week, there is a mission church that has started up, just under 60 miles from me, that is in a newer building!!!! 

FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 09:54:52 AM »

I got some good news this week, there is a mission church that has started up, just under 60 miles from me, that is in a newer building!!!! 

Wonderful news!

And, let me just state as a priest: it is wonderful that you wish to keep trying!

Please keep us informed of your progress and efforts...you are an inspiration to many!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 09:57:59 AM »

Glory to God!
Please keep us posted on your journey into the Faith.  By the prayers of the saints, may all your obstacles, physical or spiritual, be removed. (btw, my stepfather is confined largely to a wheelchair, so I see the problems that you must persever with.  God bless your perseverance!).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Jeff M.

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 09:59:51 AM »

Thank you both for your kind words!

And FrChris....

That is to funny!!!!!!!!!!!

jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 10:24:45 AM »

May God bless your struggles and perseverance in joining His church!  Welcome to OC.net!  I hope that you will find this site a support and source of camaraderie !!

Juliana
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 12:53:37 PM »

Dear Jeff,

Welcome to the forum! Yes, by all means, please stay with the Church and be in touch with your priest. Things can be worked out. ("Yes. We. Can!" Smiley)

George

Love never fails.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: