OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 02:40:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First time bringing whole family to Divine Liturgy...  (Read 2411 times) Average Rating: 0
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« on: August 07, 2008, 10:09:17 AM »

Grace and Peace,

I am bringing my little daughter (6 years old) to Divine Liturgy this Sunday and I was wondering if there is anything anyone would recommend? My daughter is Baptized Roman Catholic and she's never been to any other parish except for the one she was baptized in and the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart in Richmond VA.

I'm a bit nervous and I feel a bit concerned that I am taking her away from the faith she has known and the children she knows in her Catechesis Class. I, personally, have a great love for Orthodoxy but I have to be honest that moving my child is proving to be most challenging.

Your advice and prayers are welcomed.

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 11:03:21 AM »

Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on your servant Ignatius.  Will your daughter attend Sunday school at your Orthodox church?

Juliana
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 11:14:46 AM »

Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on your servant Ignatius.  Will your daughter attend Sunday school at your Orthodox church?

Juliana

I'm not sure they have one since it's just a mission Church but I will talk to the Parish Priest about that. He has several little girls of his own there who will get to know my daughter but I do feel bad that I'm taking her out of what she is familiar with and the children who attend her Elementary School. I really feel bad about it.

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 12:22:23 PM »

I'm not sure they have one since it's just a mission Church but I will talk to the Parish Priest about that. He has several little girls of his own there who will get to know my daughter but I do feel bad that I'm taking her out of what she is familiar with and the children who attend her Elementary School. I really feel bad about it.

Remember to stay positive, make sure she is introduced (and gets some play time) to the other girls there.  Be with her a lot while she is uncomfortable - you'll be the only one she's comfortable with at the beginning, and your attention to her will be a critical factor in how she responds.  Don't bring up the fact that she doesn't know anyone - instead, focus on the new people and friends. She's at a very resilient age - don't forget that.

Oh... And pray. Wink
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 12:22:47 PM by cleveland » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 02:34:22 PM »

My eldest turned 6 the day she went to her first DL. I would suggest you bring a picture bible, and if you can bring some icon cards for her to shuffle thru and look at that is good. If you can let her pick some icons online and then print and laminate them that is ideal. It can be kind of boring for a 6 year old at first. They don't know what is going on and it is really confusing. My then 2 year old and 4mth old adapted more quickly than my 6 year old. If she can read, I would show her the text of the DL to follow along with. In any case-explain what is and is not expected of her well in advance. There are certain points where she MUST stand, otherwise she can stand or sit at other parts. Set up a hand signal that she can use if she needs to go potty or leave the service.

This is great advice from a woman at my parish-explain the length of the service as the length of your arm and when your child asks how much longer it is show them by the length of your arm left.

When we first started going we went to Orthos as well as the DL. The parish church school was during Orthos, so we had the 2 year old and 4mth old with us at this time. So we would be at the parish from 8:15 until after coffee hour was over at 1:30. The coffee hour (lunch) and all the playtime she could have with the other kids is what sealed the deal for my kids. There is a big yard around our parish for the kids to play in and my daughter loved having the freedom to go off and play right after eating.

Almost a year later my eldest cries and is really upset when we don't go to DL even when there is no church school.

Good luck!
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 08:12:36 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

My Wife will be coming also to meet the Priest! Praise God!

I was under a lot of stress today! Feel a lot better right now. Thanks for the prayers!

SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 08:34:22 PM »

^ If possible, I would recommend that your family sit together at the end of a pew rather than trying to engage her with the other children.

At my Church, I've had many a discussion among parents with small children throughout the decades - welcoming them to the Community.  I imagine that some of the children are now young adults at college hopefully living Orthodoxy.   Smiley
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 04:52:06 PM »

My wife and daughter went to Divine Liturgy with me this morning and afterwards there was a rather large fellowship meal which really broke the ice. It was great! My wife really liked the singing and my daughter was crossing herself like her old dad!

Thank you everyone for the advice, prayers etc.

Peace and God Bless.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 06:15:51 PM »

My wife and daughter went to Divine Liturgy with me this morning and afterwards there was a rather large fellowship meal which really broke the ice. It was great! My wife really liked the singing and my daughter was crossing herself like her old dad!

Peace and God Bless. 

What a great day!  May the Lord continue to bless your efforts, and may He shine His countenance upon you always.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 07:14:15 PM »

Omnia vincit amor! Everything is overcome by love!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 11:55:23 AM »

^^^Lord, have mercy!  May the Lord continue to Bless your family's path to Orthodoxy and keep them strong during the journey, Amen!
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 02:15:49 AM »

I belong to St. Andrew's in Ashland. Are you visiting us or St. Cyprian's?

Proverbs 22:7
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 02:35:35 AM »

Grace and Peace,

I am bringing my little daughter (6 years old) to Divine Liturgy this Sunday and I was wondering if there is anything anyone would recommend? My daughter is Baptized Roman Catholic and she's never been to any other parish except for the one she was baptized in and the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart in Richmond VA.

I'm a bit nervous and I feel a bit concerned that I am taking her away from the faith she has known and the children she knows in her Catechesis Class. I, personally, have a great love for Orthodoxy but I have to be honest that moving my child is proving to be most challenging.

Your advice and prayers are welcomed.

The Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy puts out a little blue book called "the Guardian Angel" book (or something like that). Its a liturgy book that just highlights the parts, with colorful and appropriate illustrations. It is very simple, but my sons first learned there way through the DL with it.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 04:06:27 AM »

Peace and God Bless.

Somehow I missed this. That's wonderful new, Ignatius. As ozgeorge said; everything is overcome by love. Smiley

God be with you and your family.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: